SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Recommend some places to eat in London
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recommend some places to eat in London Login/Join 
Picture of DanPatWork
posted
I will be visiting London UK for the next 11 days. One of those days I will make the trip to the Duxford air museum. I'm coming to the forum for your recommendations. I've been there to visit once before two years ago but I thought I might find some good suggestions for lunch and dinner locations for this trip.

TIA

Posts: 284 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: June 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
I can't help you out with London - we are but poor folks who live in a village in rural Cambridgeshire, and London is a place we stay away from as much as possible. However, I live about half an hour from Duxford, though... Smile

tac

Posts: 11332 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Brown’s for tea(lunch). It’s been over a decade since I was there, but it stuck out in my memory.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5328 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Last time I was in London was just over forty years ago, November 1977.

My wife and I had an excellent dinner at Stone's Chop House. The smoked trout and the roast beef were both outstanding, as good as any I have ever had.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30702 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DanPatWork
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
I can't help you out with London - we are but poor folks who live in a village in rural Cambridgeshire, and London is a place we stay away from as much as possible. However, I live about half an hour from Duxford, though... Smile

tac

tac...... My brother lives just down the road a bit near Lakenheath and Mildenhall. Our plan is to meet at Duxford for a day visit, I'll be busy with a study abroad class most of the rest of my stay. Any place you'd recommend near Duxford?

Posts: 284 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: June 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
been a few years (2008) however we ate mainly in pubs,

the Albert was a go to (close to the hotel)

otherwise it was whatever we could get in as we got hungry,

not much help,

FWIW, the wife is Gluten Free, not by choice, and in 2008 it was difficult to find stuff for her then,

likely not as big an issue now,

we had a few good lunches at some of the Museums we visited,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Be sure to try the iconic "Beans on Toast" at any "Little Chef" restaurant.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8980 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanPatWork:
I will be visiting London UK for the next 11 days.

TIA

Take the Eurostar to Paris for a decent meal. Wink

Have a great trip! I was in London 20 years ago as a young couple on a budget. We didn't eat fancy.

P229

Posts: 3835 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
quote:
Originally posted by DanPatWork:
I will be visiting London UK for the next 11 days.

TIA

Take the Eurostar to Paris for a decent meal. Wink

Have a great trip! I was in London 20 years ago as a young couple on a budget. We didn't eat fancy.

We took the family to London and then Paris a few years back. Honestly couldn't find a meal worth bragging over in all of our meals in London. We LOVED the food in Paris.

I was sorely disappointed in every fish n' chips I tried there-and I tried 4-5 places.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Enjoy your trip. I’ve been to London several times in the last few years. British cuisine sucks as bad as it did on my first trip over 40 years ago. Any decent food is not British.

Vagamama (Japanese) or go online and search for Italian or Indian with high reviews.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Middle eastern 'refugees' usually say, "No thanks, we ate before we left".

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15485 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
If you like Thai, the Thai Square just off Trafalgar Square is some of the best Thai I have ever had, including Thailand.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Also if you like Chinese if you get off the tube at Piccadilly Circus Station you are a short distance from Chinatown. Dozens of places there.

Mind the Gap!

CMSGT USAF (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Gymkhana in SOHO is supposed to be good for Indian but we never made it there.

Other than Fish & Chips and breakfast English food is generally awful. I am convinced they invaded all those countries looking for a decent meal.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
just remembered,
we stayed at the Crown Plaza St James,
best breakfast buffet (traditional English Breakfast) every morning,

there was 4 pubs in walking distance, each had good food,, but we like The Albert best

if you are a beer drinker, and frequent the pubs, order at the bar, food and beverage, not at the table,

and get Cask Ale,should be a placard at the front door that says CAMRA, (CAMpaign For Real Ale)

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Well, since Lee Ho Fook's closed, where's a Jew going to get a big dish of beef chow mein?

Too young, too soon. RIP Zman

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43909 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Find an all-day breakfast joint and stick to it.

Fwiw, the really dark thing on the plate, don't ask, just enjoy it. Besides the eggs it will be the best thing on the plate.

Knowing more by accident than on purpose.

Posts: 14186 | Location: Tampa, Florida | Registered: December 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I can enthusiastically recommend Da Paolo, an small family owned Italian Restaurant in Charlotte Place—not too far from the theatre district in London. Food and wine are great, prices reasonable. You WILL need a reservation—no matter what day of the week.

Posts: 13283 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
Enjoy your trip. I’ve been to London several times in the last few years. British cuisine sucks as bad as it did on my first trip over 40 years ago. Any decent food is not British.

Vagamama (Japanese) or go online and search for Italian or Indian with high reviews.

I agree. British food SUCKS.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
It has been over thirty years since I spent a year and a half working in London. What I remember is some pretty decent pub grub (and some not so decent) in various pubs, other than that the good meals were Italian, Chinese, Indian, or Thai. Lots of choices in the SOHO District (around Piccadilly and Trafalgar squares). That and breakfasts at “greasy cafes”, pronounced “cafs”. Good times!

Posts: 6920 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post