SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Blink 100% wireless security cameras
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blink 100% wireless security cameras Login/Join 
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted
Anyone seen these yet? I just saw a news report on them. The small cameras are about the size of the palm of your hand and use only 2 AA batteries. They have very low current draw so they will last appx 1 year with regular use on 2 AAs. They are motion sensitive and will send you a 10 second video whenever they detect motion, or you can log into the app and view the cameras in real time.

And they're cheap too

https://blinkforhome.com/colle...-three-camera-system

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Looks like they're also coming out with their own home security system soon too.

Posts: 6350 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of D4Heavy
posted Hide Post
Looks pretty promising! I currently monitor my home via IP Cameras on a closed network.

I will definitely check these out as you could stick these anywhere that's in range of your network.

Posts: 398 | Location: Alabama | Registered: December 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
This is exactly what I've been looking for. Wireless, weather proof, HD video and battery powered. I'll have check to see if my Galaxy S4 is compatible.

Seems like a bargain at $319.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Look at the Arlo Pro system also. Roughly a similar price - 5 cameras, $435 at Costco but you can get 1,2,3,4,5,6 camera packs depending on what you need.

I shopped all of these and went with the best wireless, rechargeable I could find. Integrate with a SmartThings hub, some other motion sensors and you can automate house, lighting, etc.

This year systems like this finally make sense financially and functionally.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JakiHere
posted Hide Post
Arlo pro user here and I can say it's been great so far. Night vision is amazing. Though the motion detection affects the batteries a little. One thing that the Arlo pro will need to improve on.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JakiHere,

Posts: 20 | Registered: August 14, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
The reviews in my Security Camera Profession website were not very good.
However, something is better than nothing and if convenience is more valued than performance then why not?

{snip}
Summary

In our tests, daytime video quality of the Blink XT was inferior to the original Blink, producing less details due to dark images (despite >300lx in our test scene).

Despite Blink claiming 1080p video in their press releases (though strangely not in the product listing itself), video exports are only 720p. Blink says the camera uses a 1080p sensor and they "hope" to increase resolution to 1080p in the future.

On the positive side, our testing had no issues with wireless performance, with the outdoor Blink XT functioning ~100' from the nearest access point and the sync module, with metal stud walls and aluminum exterior walls between (more difficult for wireless than typical wood frame/brick/stucco construction).

Finally, issues with video taking 10+ seconds to load are improved in the Blink XT, with 3-4 second load time typical. However, these issues are still present in the original Blink, and occasionally present in Blink XT.

Posts: 22907 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingScot:
Look at the Arlo Pro system also.

The problem for some, with the Arlo system, is it's not "wireless" in the sense that all it needs is your WiFi network. It's got its own access point/controller, and the cameras must remain in contact with it.

If the Arlo products had been WiFi, not needing that device, I would've been done by now. As it is: I'm waiting for somebody to come out with a WiFi solution.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
How fast does your home WiFi have to be for your system to work well?

Posts: 4498 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
I have a couple completely wireless Reolink Argus cameras, that are only 100 bucks each. They've been great, and the video and picture quality are much better than I had expected.

Each camera connects directly to your wifi network, no controller or anything else needed.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

As you consider WiFi based security cameras please keep in mind that a signal jammier operating on WiFi approved frequency(2.4GHz, 3.6GHz, and 5GHz) bands can interfere with the camera's transmission to the router.

As the next generation of thieves (who are growing up with WiFi technology being common knowledge) enter the home burglary work force, I expect many will carry WiFi signal jammier as a standard tool of their trade.

Wired cameras are not entirely better off as their wire must be protected and because the thief just needs to follow the wire to the router's location.

In addition to security cameras, I also use cameras hidden in devices that plug into the power outlets and store images on removal SD-memory cards.

I hope the outside cameras are prominent enough to say don't screw with me. I hope the hidden inside cameras will capture images sufficient for the police to identify the thief on it's own as a back-up if the security camera system is disabled.

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another Arlo Pro user here. I like it so much I got a system for my parents. The Costco deal is great.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 528 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by K0ZZZ:
I have a couple completely wireless Reolink Argus cameras, that are only 100 bucks each. They've been great, and the video and picture quality are much better than I had expected.

Each camera connects directly to your wifi network, no controller or anything else needed.

Wow. When I was researching wireless security cameras a couple months ago I missed these entirely.

A couple Argus' (front and back) one or two C2s indoors... Some sets of 16340 batteries for the Argus'... Might could do...

Thanks for the post, K0ZZZ!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sleepla8er:

As you consider WiFi based security cameras please keep in mind that a signal jammier operating on WiFi approved frequency(2.4GHz, 3.6GHz, and 5GHz) bands can interfere with the camera's transmission to the router.

As the next generation of thieves (who are growing up with WiFi technology being common knowledge) enter the home burglary work force, I expect many will carry WiFi signal jammier as a standard tool of their trade.

Wired cameras are not entirely better off as their wire must be protected and because the thief just needs to follow the wire to the router's location.

In addition to security cameras, I also use cameras hidden in devices that plug into the power outlets and store images on removal SD-memory cards.

I hope the outside cameras are prominent enough to say don't screw with me. I hope the hidden inside cameras will capture images sufficient for the police to identify the thief on it's own as a back-up if the security camera system is disabled.

This is why I installed a wired camera system last year. It has already helped in deterring criminals in my neighborhood ("magazine salesman" cruising the street one day, reported a few attempted break ins the next, and no visits from anyone on my cameras!). My cameras are hard wired, a thief/intruder would have to cross their field of view to cut any wires, and if they manage to get past the security system (activated always when we leave or are asleep), the locks, and the separate deadbolt to the room where the server/hard drive is - well, at that point they can take the shit they find. Hopefully, the Sheriffs in my county will have arrived. They have been great with a couple of false alarms (my bad with poorly closed doors) over the years here.

Bottom line, a camera system is just another layer in the onion for your home protection program.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:

SMS alerts and remote access have a monthly fee?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:

They do?

That would count it out for me.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
quote:

They do?

I don't know. I was asking because it would be a deal breaker for me as well.

I need 1 camera for my cabin and don't want a bunch of cost.
I can get a Spypoint 4g gamecam for $250 that has no monthly fee but only will send pictures and no option for live viewing.

Or 1 Reolink for $100 and an added $10 a month for 1 gig of data a month with a mobile hotspot. Which would have live view and send video.
Though I will likely never really need it as a simple photo would suffice and a call to the State Trooper.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
quote:

They do?

I don't know. I was asking because it would be a deal breaker for me as well.

Oh. No, I don't think they do. They don't have any cloud storage, though. If you want storage you have to add an SD card to the camera.

I *think* all their server(s) do is connect your mobile device to your cameras. Kind of like the "known hosts" used to do with Skype.

The impression I have is they do not charge anything for that.

Picture of JakiHere
posted Hide Post
Yes, the arlo cams will need the base in order to connect to the internet.
No, it doesn't have to always remain in contact with the base. There should be more details about it around. Though the base carries some of the important features like the cam siren as it is released by the base

This message has been edited. Last edited by: JakiHere,

Posts: 20 | Registered: August 14, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post