SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Investing in firearms
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Investing in firearms Login/Join 
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
First --a CD is not a tangible asset. It is untouchable for x months.
Investment needs are guided by amount of risk and timeline.
Typically--you buy low, sell high.
Your personal observations in terms of value are guiding your decision to buy.
I would NOT recommend putting all your eggs in 1 basket.
Mutual funds allow for stratification of risk and diversification.Use your overseas experience for Euro-Pacific markets.

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Precious metals aren't an investment, they're a hedge against inflation.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
If it absolutely MUST be firearms, I would recommend NFA full auto, all the way. I have yet to meet someone who lost money in that realm, and you'll have something fun to play with.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I don't see any non-performing asset as an investment. As with gold, silver, and the latest speculative darlings, cryptocurrencies, anyone buying this is doing it as an inflation hedge, or speculating that the price will get bid up. But they don't actually do anything that makes money.

This is why I prefer investments that flow cash either implicitly (think stocks that don't bay dividends from companies that or profitable), explicitly (think bonds where you get a known periodic payment, or rental real estate), or both (think dividend paying stocks.)

I think this flips the scrip on your wife's issues with paper investment. Yes, they're paper, but that paper entitles you to the benefits of the investments earnings. On average, and over the long term, that will do better for you than non-income generating speculative assets.

That being said, having a small amount (relative to your total investment portfolio) in something like gold or silver, as a SHTF value store, might not be a bad idea. But just realize that's what it is.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
You can buy whatever you like, however, I would recommend real estate through someone like Fundrise.com. If you don't want to fix toilets and deal with the crap of being a land lord, this is a good way to still make money in real estate.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3629 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Buying firearms isn't an investment it is a business.
Not that you can't make a profit but it isn't something to just buy and sit on unless it is a collectable or something special.
I think you are better off with precious metals if you have to have something tangible.
Buying ammo could an investment somewhat but buying now when the prices are at the peak doesn't seem very smart to me.
Of course it could go higher but I don't see how.
Good Luck.

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
NFA firearms have very decent returns (and in the case of some models exceptional) over any reasonable holding period. You do not need to be in the "business" to hold them.
Every investment is subject to risk including NFA, real estate, gold, stocks, etc. etc. The secret to a winning long term hand is diversity. If I had the ability to stockpile certain NFA items I would for sure own some. Extraordinarily low risk, great returns and you can enjoy them in the interim.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
I wish I had invested in OSB and 2x8s.

Then I could have bought all the NFA firearms I wanted.

Posts: 9155 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Buying steel sports model Rolexes 4 years ago would have doubled your money.

Now you can't even get one at retail. THere are NONE at the dealers and the gray market is selling them easily between 30% over to double and they can't keep them in stock.

It's like bitcoin with watches because everyone is flipping them.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I like the speculation vs investing.

I like appreciate everyone's input. Wanted to hit on few things.

1. This is not all eggs in one basket. Rather she has a hen house full of eggs and hasn't placed any egg in any basket. Hopefully this will encourage her to trust me a bit more with helping her invest.

2. To Q's point, I don't mean to say 10k is inconsequential money, but buying physical goods I could not see possibly losing more than 10% unless drastic legislation passed. Assuming we buy right and sell right.

3. I mentioned that I attempted to convince her to invest in CD's. Just max out both banks she uses and get back 2-3% is 12-18 months. Incredible return compared to her savings accounts. She was hesitant with this.

4. I think the reason she opened up to this idea, even though it wouldn't be advised by anyone, is because she has been able to see me wheel and deal a bit. I understand this is my hobby and have told her that. I also understand this is NOT a great investment idea unless maybe you already had extremely diverse investments.

5. So I'll stop calling it investing and start saying she just wants to use her money to make a little money, rather than have it sit there.

6. I mentioned Class 3 to her as it's much like Hawaiian real estate, supply never increases!

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post