SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Investing in firearms
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Investing in firearms Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted
First, my wife's money is completely separate from mine. She is also dead set against investing traditionally because she HAS to have tangible assets. Literally thing she can hold.

Aside from my own personal investment in firearms, my wife has asked if I would invest 10k for her. She has noticed that most of my purchases have either held value or netted a considerable gain when compared to her current 0% gain. So she's on board for investing a small portion to see how it goes.

I told her it all depends on political climate, models, legislation, but for the most part, smart purchases will never decrease in value.

I've also thought about buying 10k worth of ammo and making a percentage when people are stupid but I feel as though I'm adding to the panic and almost gouging that way. I wouldn't gouge but I would make a profit.

Current times are not favorable, that's a given, but in the coming years when we hit another LOW, have any of you considered investing a bit seeing how crazy things are now? Do you consider that gouging across the board?

Should j simply try to convince her to invest in gold/silver when the price is right?

She's got considerable money just wasting in savings so I'm trying to think of SOME way to make her some return that she is comfortable with.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a very bad idea on her part. Yours sounds dumb James. Sorry, makes no sense. There are so many ways to do it right. This ain't it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: old rugged cross,

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19188 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be not wise in
thine own eyes
Picture of kimber1911
posted Hide Post
For an investment in firearms, M-11/Nine & Lage uppers.

Not likely to go down in value, unless it goes to $0 with Government confiscation.
Definitely fun with the right amount of ammo.

“We’re in a situation where we have put together, and you guys did it for our administration…President Obama’s administration before this. We have put together, I think, the most extensive and inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics,”
Pres. Select, Joe Biden

“Let’s go, Brandon” Kelli Stavast, 2 Oct. 2021

Posts: 5267 | Location: USA | Registered: December 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I would call it speculating, not investing.

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
nfa is where I'd be for investing. But firearms aren't really investing due to the vast number of factors that affect pricing.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For those investing in NFA machine guns, yes they have increased in value, but what if the pending brace regulation leads to a challenge to NFA and part or all is overturned? What if the "no new machine guns after 1986" law is overturned?

What if things go the other way in a single-party democrat packed court future and you have to give them up?

If she has to invest in something tangible, try real estate.

Posts: 4725 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
All I can say is that I hope you have some real investments socked away for the traditional stuff like retiring, children college, etc. If this is play money, money that if it was lost would make no meaningful difference in your/your wife's financial situation, then go nuts.

Some real estate investments may make sense to someone fixated on 'tangibility' - often/usually if a property is well selected, managed and financed it can throw off cash flow and tax advantages. But you (and she) would be way better off if you broadened her investment portfolio ideas.

Posts: 15031 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
I'd rather just do Gold / Silver.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would opt for property/real estate. I wish I had bought more years ago when it was cheap.Of course at the time I didn't make very much and in this market, you will probably be buying on the high side. Guns are always iffy, as far as investments go due to a few things and cars can be an ongoing issue and even more expensive.

I know you mentioned she was not interested in buying stocks but what about bonds. Granted they take a while to mature but they are tangible and can be cashed out at any time.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Unless you get lucky now is NOT the time to buy real estate.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
I totally get that most markets right now are crazy.

I've tried to convince her to max out CDs at the banks she uses if nothing else.

This is not her retirement strategy, and no 10k lost won't make a difference.

More than anything I think it's gonna build trust that she can invest her money a bit.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
If it was my money, I’d look into gold and silver. Firearms values are fickle. Legislation or trends can vastly affect those values.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:

This might sound insane but if I were looking to invest $10k, I would likely go with 1 excellent condition or 2 good condition <1969 Brazilian rosewood Martin D-28 acoustic guitars...

Posts: 13115 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Eight M1 Garands from CMP?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
Regarding firearms - I buy my guns because I want them. And if they are on sale I might buy two. If they go up in value, great. But they are not an investment vehicle for me. In fact, I have only sold one firearm to a friend when he could not find it during the panic, and I sold it to him at cost.

I hear Bitcoin is down recently. (Kidding!)

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had guns go up in value not because I thought they would but because I enjoyed shooting them and the market for them went nuts. Guns like the HK P7M13 or the Sig Sauer X-Five. I think the original Colt Python market still holds value though the Dan Wesson revolvers I bought doubled in value over the last 5 or so years.

If I had known the $1200-1500 I paid for my P7 and X-Fives would have doubled or tripled since I bought them I would have bought more. Will they continue to climb in value? Time will tell but in the meantime I enjoy shooting them!

For what it's worth if I had 10k to invest in firearms right now I wouldn't know what to buy. Sure plenty of used guns will hold their value but prices seem high due to the rioting/defund the police BS and it's likely the next time a Republican president takes office everything gun related will settle down making now an inopportune time to invest.

Posts: 800 | Location: Southern NH | Registered: October 11, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
I totally get that most markets right now are crazy.

I've tried to convince her to max out CDs at the banks she uses if nothing else.

More than anything I think it's gonna build trust that she can invest her money a bit.

I'm not going to suggest anything, and you already know what I said when we discussed about firearms for investment. But, imo, unless you and your wife are millionaire, a 10k loss (or gain) is always significant, even if you say it's not.

Q

Posts: 26390 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Online search for the "best fidelity index funds". That's a good start. They seem to produce very well in a good economy, but also provide a return when other funds are lower or losing.

Posts: 848 | Location: FL | Registered: January 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
If wanting something in the house, I’d lean ‘precious metals’ too. Many of us have firearms that hold their value, now may not be the best time to buy.

Even precious metals have had some sketchy periods.

Posts: 6163 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most all of my firearms have increased in value but most of those were bought 60 years ago, so prepare to be patient.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post