SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    facebook and social media is exhausting
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

facebook and social media is exhausting Login/Join 
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I love facebook.

It's like driving by a Clinton rally wearing a Trump mask and yelling "Make America Great Again" as you slow roll by.

Same reaction except you don't have to leave the comfort of your chair. Wink

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15723 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fallenangelhim:
eventually what did me in was friends aggressively rage posting their politics and then attacking each other.

That's what did it to me.

quote:
do any of you feel sensory overload with facebook and if you don't how do you manage it?

I did four months ago. So I wiped my entire timeline (Chrome plugin), suspended my account, wiped FB's cookies on my browsers and uninstalled FB and FB Messenger from my mobile devices.

I just re-activated my account two days ago. Step 1: Unfriended all "friends" who I didn't actually know IRL, save three I really like. Two of those three post a lot of political crap, so I have them on unfollow. The third posts mostly positive family stuff.

I'd un-liked all the political stuff (Chicks On The Right, Being Classically Liberal, Being Libertarian, etc.) when I suspended my account. I will not be following such as those any longer.

Any of my IRL friends that post too much political crap will get unfollowed.

I will post no politics, at all, myself. I'm going to keep it to personal news and positive or humourous stuff.

My angst level decreased significantly after I dropped Facebook, but I missed the news from far-flung family and IRL friends. So I'm going to try to find a way to stay on Facebook w/o the angst-inducing barrage of political crap.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
I just hope people who like bragging that they don't use Facebook keep showing up in a thread about Facebook. Because that doesn't get old.

True, dat

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by RAMIUS:
I just hope people who like bragging that they don't use Facebook keep showing up in a thread about Facebook. Because that doesn't get old.

True, dat

Please tell me more about where facebook touched you. Annoying as can be.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7074 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Some people get carried away with the friends thing, adding anyone and everyone on a whim to pad their numbers. You end up being bombarded with crap you never wanted to see. My rule is simple, if I don't know them in person they don't get added.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I'm 35. I've had a facebook account since the time when you had to have a college .edu email address (2004-05.)

I have never felt the need to take a break from facebook. If you feel that need, you were using it waaaay too much and taking it waaaay too seriously to begin with.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10492 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by prairieviper:
I manage social media such as Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc., by never signing up in the first place.
+1 Perhaps I should take a hint about my personality from the fact that nobody has ever "friended" me!

Posts: 6490 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I just recently got it again 8mo ago. I found that by psychoanalyzing(to yourself) what people are actually saying when they post on social media gives you real incite to their lives and insecurities. It becomes more sad than anything. I rarely comment and just listen and try to understand the behavior behind the person.

Posting that picture of yourself and when you don't get comments you take it down.

Pictures of that fancy watch because your insecure about your income.

A whole lot of people are looking for "approval" online because they can't be comfortable being who they are. They can't understand their frustration and lash out, versus trying to figure out why something/someone got to you.

I'm just beginning my journey to "self-awareness" but when you can take yourself out of the situation the world becomes very interesting.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:

I'm just beginning my journey to "self-awareness" but when you can take yourself out of the situation the world becomes very interesting.

It certainly does. Smile

Posts: 10850 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
The biggest problem I have with social media (including gun boards) is judging myself against the mythical composite person. When reading through the experiences of thousands of individuals, it's very easy to take the guy that shoots in competition every week, the guy that travels all over the world, the guy that is a fitness addict, the guy who has a million dollar income, etc. and roll them all into one extremely successful individual. Judging one's accomplishments against that is sure to lead to disappointment.

Not everyone has the energy, intelligence and discipline to be jhe888.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:

Not everyone has the energy, intelligence and discipline to be jhe888.

The fist sentence in your sig line made this statement all the more awesome.

Posts: 10850 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
quote:

do any of you feel sensory overload with facebook and if you don't how do you manage it?

I don't feel a sensory overload with FB or other sites similar simply because I have never signed up for one. Never had the slightest interest.

Yup. None of that FarceBook, Instagram, Twatter, or whatever the latest fad is. Life is good.

"Twatter" Now that I might spend too much time on!! How do I sign up?

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rsd1220
posted Hide Post
I only have a fake FB account to see some gun stores' sales ads.

__Phase plasma rifle in the 40-watt range__

Posts: 1113 | Location: Pangea | Registered: June 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
I sometimes wonder how social media / forums / internet affects me.

I'm pretty much on it all day, every day -- work included.

The exposure and availability of information is great, but I wonder if I'm being inundated and mentally overwhelmed at times by all of it.

Posts: 5074 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Just let go.

I don't care if people post the most abrasive, caustic, insulting, hateful, or hurtful things on social media.

Why let the thoughts or opinions of others affect your personal peace? Just let it all go.

Posts: 13050 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
Just let go.

I don't care if people post the most abrasive, caustic, insulting, hateful, or hurtful things on social media.

It isn't the abrasive, caustic, insulting, hateful or hurtful things that are, or were, the problem for me. It's Teh St00pid. Mainly leftist claptrap that is, often as not, probably more often than not, just plain Wrong.

Then, no matter how effectively, how cogently you argue against the st00pid they posted, they stick to their position.

Couldn't. Take. It. Any. More.

Four months ago it was when a couple "friends," who I'd thought more intelligent than that, went along with the "Trump supporting white supremacists" thing when he had, accurately, blamed both sides for the violence in Charlottesville.

My New Plan is working, so far. I've been obliged to set one relative to "do not follow." 99-44/100% of what I'm seeing is cat pictures, other innocuous "news" items and friends and family information.

If I hadn't signed back up, I might still not have known a good friend of mine just returned from a one week hospital stay for cellulitis. (Hell, I hadn't even known that was a thing, much less that it can be fatal.)

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
my brother is all over facebook,
wife and I decided not to get accounts,

I do tweet, rarely
I do instagram, (keep up with some friends and different musical artist post a bit) daily
I do Sigforum and Gunboards, daily,

I have a few other boards I check weekly , but they are not really busy boards, I can read all the new posts that matter (firearm related, not BS) in a few minutes, (Jouster/CMP)

my brother, who would post something on facebook hourly, has calmed down a bit recently,
seems when he said he had talked to a friend about a type of firearm we were selling, and I asked if this was someone he actually knew, or some dude living in his mom's basement on facebook, he started realizing all the friends he had were 'fictitious'

saying this knowing he is on a few closed groups that have some really knowledgeable folks on them and have been a great help

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
I have no problem with social media. I keep in touch with friends and family. I don’t let it control my life. I don’t find it exhausting at all because I don’t make it my life’s mission to argue with anonymous idiots on social media. If someone posts something I don’t like I just don’t look at it. Only weak people let social media control their life. I don’t go around in my day to day life making sure people know I’m right in my opinions...why do it on social media. Just live your life.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
I'm 35. I've had a facebook account since the time when you had to have a college .edu email address (2004-05.)

I have never felt the need to take a break from facebook. If you feel that need, you were using it waaaay too much and taking it waaaay too seriously to begin with.

This

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Honestly, I'm not really interested in "keeping up" with friends and family.

If it's important, someone will let me know.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17462 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post