SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    HVAC blower problem
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HVAC blower problem Login/Join 
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted
Back in August, the blower fan in our A/C ate itself. So we had a service company come out and replace it. They replaced the motor, fan, and fan housing.

Four weeks later, the fan had slid down the motor shaft and was rubbing in the housing. They came out and tightened everything up.

A week later it was doing it again and they came back.

A week later it was doing it again, and they replace the fan and housing and motor shaft.

A week after that, it did it again, and they replaced everything again. They confirmed with Lennox that they had the right parts.

Last week it started running again. These guys aren't half-assing it and seem to know what they're doing. But the owner was out today and can't figure out why this keeps happening. He suggested replacing the whole air handler. He hasn't charged me anything since the first replacement, and he offered to credit that towards the new unit, so I don't think he's taking me for a ride, but I just want to make sure there's not s simpler solution we're missing. Anyone have any ideas?

Second, if we're replacing the air handier, should we replace the condenser and coil as well? It's all about 10 years old, and definitely was not maintained by the previous owners.

TIA.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Dallas239,

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
definitely want maintained by the previous owners.

^^^^
Was not??

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
definitely want maintained by the previous owners.

^^^^
Was not??
Yeah, sorry. They were all about the deferred maintenance.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum

Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
I would figure out how to fasten the fan securely in place...wouldn't replace a working unit for an issue that can be addressed. It may require a little ingenuity...any pictures of the shaft and how the fan is affixed? Has anyone watched the unit rotate to see if anything unusual is occurring?
I'm cheap though and it is a 10 year old appliance.

Posts: 1971 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
You can pull the fan and look at the shaft where the set screw marked the flat side of the shaft and drill a small counter sink into the shaft which will help secure the fan and stop the fan from moving on the shaft.

Posts: 18035 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mustang-PaPa:
You can pull the fan and look at the shaft where the set screw marked the flat side of the shaft and drill a small counter sink into the shaft which will help secure the fan and stop the fan from moving on the shaft.

This is what I would do, maybe even add a bit of locktite to the set screw.

Does the shaft have an indentation from the set screw or is there a mark going around the shaft from dragging the set screw over the shaft?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dallas239:

These guys aren't half-assing it and seem to know what they're doing.

This statement doesn't go a long with the rest of your post.
It also contradicts itself...

If they knew what they were doing, you wouldn't be here telling this story. Wink

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
quote:

These guys aren't half-assing it and seem to know what they're doing.

This statement doesn't go a long with the rest of your post.
It also contradicts itself...

If they knew what they were doing, you wouldn't be here telling this story. Wink
Does it? Meaning this should be a simple fix?

Si vis pacem para bellum

Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:

Second, if we're replacing the air handier, should we replace the condenser and coil as well? It's all about 10 years old, and definitely was not maintained by the previous owners.

TIA.
Replace the Lennox coil. They have a problem. Just google Lennox coils.

https://www.hustlermoneyblog.c...lass-action-lawsuit/

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
Spurred by all your great questions and suggestions, I opened the thing up and pulled out the motor (it was surprisingly easy). I think I actually figured out the problem.

The fan wheel was tight on the shaft. Even after loosening the set screws I couldn't budge it.

The motor, on the other hand, was definitely not as tight as it could have been in the bracket. So I think the whole thing was sliding down. They'd raise the fan and the motor would slide down, rinse and repeat.

I tightened the motor bracket, and we'll see if that fixes it.....

Si vis pacem para bellum