SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I just installed two brand new Hunter ceiling fans. Both do not have medium speed.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I just installed two brand new Hunter ceiling fans. Both do not have medium speed. Login/Join 
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted
So weird. I have high, low, low, and off.

Anyone know why this might be? I can live with it. I find it odd that both are doing it.

Any thoughts or suggestions are most appreciated.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Almost all of the fans in our house are similar, but only have 1 speed, maybe 2.

Curious to see the responses.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15315 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
That doesn’t sound right.

All three of the ceiling fans we have in our house have Low/Med/High speeds.

Posts: 33805 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Someone at the factory put the wrong resistor in the "medium" switch position.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
What model are they? I know Hunter has a few 2 speed offerings.

Are they traditional (regular wired, pull chain selector) or remote? Is your home set up for separate light/fan controls (3 wire), or is it controlled at the fan only (2 wire)?

AC or DC motor?

If they are traditional AC wired 2 speed motors, with 3 wire wall controls, you might be able to use a wall control switch and control the fan speed that way, vs the setting from the pull switch.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is that what they are labeled, or is that the speed at which they rotate?

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
We have Hunter ceiling fans in every room except the bathrooms & they all have 3 speeds. Our "newest" is at least ten years old, so not much help.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
https://www.hansenwholesale.co...0reversible%20motors.

All Hunter fans feature 3-speed, electrically reversible motors.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That would piss me off... We have numerous Hunter fans that i installed throughout the house and run them on Medium. I'd be fired up if I put 2 together and mounted them only to find out there was no medium setting...

Posts: 436 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have the wireless remote fan/light switch and they are both on the same circuit, they may interfere with each other if their locations are too close together.

--------------------------------------------
You can't have no idea how little I care.

Posts: 344 | Registered: December 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Road Dog
Picture of BennerP220
posted Hide Post
I do have two switches. One for the fan and one for the light. The house is new and I had every bedroom wired for a fan.

No remote switches. Fans all have three speeds. I’m sure I’ve done something wrong because the odds of two doing the same thing and being faulty are pretty slim.

I installed one in the family room and it’s fine.

Posts: 3446 | Location: Southwest Indiana | Registered: December 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
My hunter fan is a 2 speed. But it used to be a 3 speed. The chain broke off inside the plastic housing that controls the speeds. I replaced the speed switch but the wiring schematic was wrong for the new switch. I did it exactly how it said. But it only has 2 speeds now. PIA. I like 3 speeds better.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I installed 3 hunter fans in the last year and they all have 3 speeds.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fan related mini-rant:
Why is the first switch setting full blast?
Shouldn't it be low, medium then high?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Put my Hunter's in over 20 years ago, they are controlled by sliding switches so I don't know how many speeds the chain pull activates.

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I leave my fans on high and have three speed fan control smart switches to operate them remotely. I use Z-Wave smart switches with some right next to each other in the same boxes and they don't interfere. They actually form a mesh network.

Posts: 4713 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Can't they wire in a switch to accommodate more speeds?
My oldie Casablanca has a rotary switch which makes it variable.

Posts: 22906 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post