SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cast iron seasoning experiment
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cast iron seasoning experiment Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
I can't go an iron skillet thread without posting my favorite video...

[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/j6Tz3HnnCFs" title="YouTube video player" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

That's a good video also.
Kent Rollins has some very good videos on cooking, cleaning and seasoning cast iron.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by davidjinks:
I’m gonna have to give all those a try in the OP. I’ve been using olive oil and haven’t had any issues. But I’m always up to trying something new.

I've never used oilve oil for seasoning purposes. I use it extensively for vegetables and eggs but that's it.
Satueed onions and peppers for sausage is my favorite.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
the seasoning is vulnerable to acidic substance, e.g. tomato sauce, or similar. OK to cook, but when done clean the CI thoroughly, don't let it sit

Posts: 2784 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sse:
the seasoning is vulnerable to acidic substance, e.g. tomato sauce, or similar. OK to cook, but when done clean the CI thoroughly, don't let it sit

Good advice.
I've cooked tomato based food and reduced red wine for a sauce in cast iron and immediately rinse it out when I'm done cooking.
Some might say not to but I do remember my grandmother doing this with a dish that I still make from her original recipe. Contains tomatoes and when she was done dishing it out of her skillet to waiting plates, she had the water running hot and would rinse out the skillet. I just do the same as she did.