SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    iPhone 8 plus case suggestion for the boy
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iPhone 8 plus case suggestion for the boy Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
Marky had an iPhone 5s 16GB that was completely full. He couldn't update, he couldn't even take a photo. So he saved his money and bought an iPhone 8 plus 256GB tonight. I want him to have a good case for it because it was a significant amount of loot.

He did buy a Body Glove Tidal case for it but it's pretty crappy. He has a thing for trying to jam his phone into his front pocket and that's just not going to work for this much larger phone. Perhaps a belt holster or a case with a belt clip would be in order.

Suggestions both what to get and what to avoid are appreciated.

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am super anal when it comes to cases and buy for protection first and looks second...that said, my 8+ lived in 3 cases without incident:

1) Spigen Neo Hybrid

2) Spigen Liquid Crystal

3) Playproof

All three tested exceptionally wall for drops and abuse and non are bulky

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
Easy question because there is only one correct answer:

https://www.amazon.com/OtterBo...e/dp/B00Z7SVVOO?th=1

Otterbox Defender and forget about it.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:

Word!

Posts: 587 | Location: NC | Registered: March 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:

He did have a defender on the 5s but the clip broke twice making it just a really large, clunky, regular case. I'll consider another. Thanks!

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
I am super anal when it comes to cases and buy for protection first and looks second...that said, my 8+ lived in 3 cases without incident:

1) Spigen Neo Hybrid

2) Spigen Liquid Crystal

3) Playproof

All three tested exceptionally wall for drops and abuse and non are bulky
I'll look these up. Thanks.

Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
He did have a defender on the 5s but the clip broke twice making it just a really large, clunky, regular case. I'll consider another. Thanks!

I never used the belt clips, but always use the defender because I am rough on phones. My wife uses one - she's at the farm all day every day so no other case is really strong enough to stand up to the daily abuse she dishes out.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I just saw that replacement holsters with belt clips are $10 on Amazon. I ordered a defender and extra clip.

Thanks!

posted Hide Post
I know you said you had one before, but the defender is the best option. I have had them on my phones forever, as well as my wife’s and child. These things can put up with a LOT of abuse. I had a problem with one of mine after 2 years, the rubber was stretching and not as tight around the plastic piece. Probably from shoving in my pocket all day. I called and they sent me an entire new unit for $5 shipping.

After thousands of drops in my family, not one issue with the phone or iPad.

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
The box for otters.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It was not evil that made me dangerous. It was love.
posted Hide Post
Otter box for sure. I use the symmetry case instead of the defender. Nite Ize makes a good belt clip holster to hold the defender cases

For God and Country,

Shannon

Posts: 1272 | Location: Central MS | Registered: March 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the Otterbox Commuter because it’s enough protection for me and smaller than the Defender. I don’t use a belt clip.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by berto:
I use the Otterbox Commuter because it’s enough protection for me and smaller than the Defender. I don’t use a belt clip.

This is my setup. Add a glass screen protector and I’m good to go.

0:01

Posts: 4211 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
As far as holsters go, it's hard to find one that isn't a cheap faux leather that doesn't fall apart within a few weeks. I use the Pdair leather holsters but they are made to fit your phone without a case. They are the only holsters I have ever used where the belt clip never ripped out of the leather. To get one that fit my Galaxy S9 with a Spigen Neo Hybrid case on it, I had to buy a model that was for a Sony Xperia XZ2 which is a slightly bigger, thicker phone. Then I had to wait for it to be delivered from China.

Probably too much trouble for most people to put up with.

Posts: 3383 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
The only screen I ever broke was inside an otter box. The place that replaced the screen showed me how the box would flex a bit but the phone didn't causing a "pinch" type break.

I have since gone to spigen and a spigen tempered glass. I also stopped carrying in my back pocket. This combo has worked well. I have replaced the tempered glass a few times and trucked right down the road.

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For a belt holster there is none other than turtleback that you should consider. Made in the USA and they’re very durable. I don’t know how many belt clips I’ve broken in the past on various holsters (never been a pocket guy for my phones) but turtleback has held up for me for years.

My current one is one of the swivel versions that detaches and I’m not too thrilled with the belt clip. It hasn’t come close to breaking but it doesn’t stay “pinched” well enough to keep a good grip on my belt when I take my pants off. So I ordered the old kind just the other day (getting delivered today in fact) that is all leather and the clip is fixed and black.

You can get them on amazon but they are a bit higher priced than on turtleback’s website. Here’s a link for your son’s phone.

Highly recommended for belt holsters.

https://www.turtlebackcase.com/iphone-8-7-plus/

Posts: 685 | Location: Milwaukee, WI | Registered: July 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
I like the Otterbox Symmetry. I’ve dropped my iPhone 7 Plus a couple of times with no breakage.

Posts: 2338 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
I am also a big fan of the Spigen Neo Hybrid

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Largefarva:
For a belt holster there is none other than turtleback that you should consider. Made in the USA and they’re very durable. I don’t know how many belt clips I’ve broken in the past on various holsters (never been a pocket guy for my phones) but turtleback has held up for me for years.

My current one is one of the swivel versions that detaches and I’m not too thrilled with the belt clip. It hasn’t come close to breaking but it doesn’t stay “pinched” well enough to keep a good grip on my belt when I take my pants off. So I ordered the old kind just the other day (getting delivered today in fact) that is all leather and the clip is fixed and black.

You can get them on amazon but they are a bit higher priced than on turtleback’s website. Here’s a link for your son’s phone.

Highly recommended for belt holsters.

https://www.turtlebackcase.com/iphone-8-7-plus/
if he goes through these two belt clips quickly then I'll order one of those.

Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
quote:
I just saw that replacement holsters with belt clips are $10 on Amazon. I ordered a defender and extra clip.

Thanks!

Mark, when he breaks that first clip, go to Otterbox's website into the support area and you can get a free replacement, you just pay like $5 shipping.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4522 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post