Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bug ID please Login/Join 
Picture of Ripley
posted
The wife wasn't happy to see this on her car door and I was happy it didn't go for my neck as I tried to take pics. Maybe a couple inches long, I see wings, no obvious weapons but a visual message "you best move along".

He was moving so hard to get, this toothy structure on his back adds to the WTF.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8347 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
It looks like a "stink bug" to me. Poke it couple of times with your finger then smell your finger (just to be sure Big Grin ).

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15485 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
My first guess was a stink bug, but an app on my wife's phone says Wheel bug aka Assassin bug. Who knows.....

Posts: 3852 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
It's nothing like the stink bugs we have here in S.E. Michigan.

quote:
Originally posted by sig229-SAS:
... an app on my wife's phone says Wheel bug aka Assassin bug. Who knows.....

I'd say that's what it is: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=whee...iax=images&ia=images

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
Assassin bug of sorts.
Ah I see it's a wheel bug.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39756 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Exceptional Circumstances
Picture of dave7378
posted Hide Post
Yessir, wheel bug. Watch out, they bite Razz

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 5909 | Location: Hampton Bays, NY | Registered: October 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
Poke it couple of times with your finger then smell your finger (just to be sure Big Grin ).
Ha! That's what she said!

Posts: 6476 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
assasin bug,

I have been tagged by these fuskers more times than I can count. I personally think they are much worse than velvet ants.

Their bite hangs around for months on end.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Unishot
posted Hide Post
Yes, I concur. If you get stung it is worse than a wasp/hornet or scorpion. Ask me how I know. And the poster above is right. It took about three months for the welt to go away. Nasty little fuckers with their flesh-dissolving venom they inject into you.

Insert your favorite gun-related witticism here!

Posts: 653 | Location: TX | Registered: March 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Well, shit. Eek
Thanks. Like I said, nothing about the way it looks says let's be friends.

quote:
Originally posted by Unishot:
Ask me how I know...

And DSgrouse too. How did you guys come to get bit by these things? Bad luck or wrong places to be?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ripley,

Posts: 8347 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
tall grass, fencing, thick vegetation. Right through clothes. The two most painful times for me it was just above the ankle. Thin skin, little room for swelling.

It isn't a zap like a besting more like a bite from a horsefly/deerfly or mosquito. Golf ball-sized area that is painful for months. You'll regret taking a hot shower with it.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definately assasin bug. Stink bugs backs are shaped like a shield. Some stink bugs do stink and some do not. Went to take my wife to an eye doctor appointment yesterday and the outside of my house was freakin covered with stink bugs. i've never seen so many at one time

Posts: 462 | Location: Greenfield, IN | Registered: December 29, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Unishot
posted Hide Post
The way the wheel bug hunts is that it creeps up on its prey, and takes that long stinger looking proboscis thing on the front of it’s head and stabs the victim. Then it injects a flesh dissolving venom that also paralyzes the prey. After a bit, it sucks out the insides with the same “stinger” and then goes about it’s way.

I was in a golf cart sitting still and it landed on my belly, And immediately “stung” me. It hurt so bad that I swatted it down to the bottom the golf cart, and I got a close look at it. I even took a picture of it, Because I hadn’t seen it before. Like I said. Nasty little fuckers!

Insert your favorite gun-related witticism here!

Posts: 653 | Location: TX | Registered: March 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Unishot:
The way the wheel bug hunts is that it creeps up on its prey, and takes that long stinger looking proboscis thing on the front of it’s head and stabs the victim. Then it injects a flesh dissolving venom that also paralyzes the prey. After a bit, it sucks out the insides with the same “stinger” and then goes about it’s way.

I was in a golf cart sitting still and it landed on my belly, And immediately “stung” me. It hurt so bad that I swatted it down to the bottom the golf cart, and I got a close look at it. I even took a picture of it, Because I hadn’t seen it before. Like I said. Nasty little fuckers!

I carry an epi pen for bee stings. I got zapped 9 times by mud daubbers this summer. It left a golf ball sized welt that was gone in two weeks.

I will take a bee sting, even the velvet ants (cow killer) that I have been stung by over the assassins bug any day.

Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
An article I read about assassin bugs describes them as shy and retiring but you guys seem to have run across pretty hostile examples, attacking without provocation. I caught this guy in a cup and threw him in the woods not knowing he should be dead.

I'm pretty sure it was one of these I ran across several years ago. I'm working on my VW one summer evening, wearing shorts when shorts were really short. The ugliest bug ever landed on my inner thigh, right at the pant leg opening. I froze at the sight of it, thinking it might run for the cover up my pant leg. In that moment's hesitation, he flew off clumsily. I'll never know for sure but Eek

I'll run across cowkillers in the yard a few times a summer and worry about upsetting one if I roust it while I pull crabgrass or something. I've never been hit by one but with a name like "cowkiller", I know they're there. And now frickin' wheel bugs, jeesh.

I hope that utterly insane show "Kings of Pain" comes back and they take on one of these.

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I really should know better than to click a bug ID thread started by someone named Ripley.

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post