SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Windshield rock chip - self-repair options?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Windshield rock chip - self-repair options? Login/Join 
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted
Just when you thought rock-season was over in Jackson......

After having windshield replaced this summer managed to pick up another chip this week but not yet a full run. Only about fingernail sized.

Called State Farm and found that they no longer waive deductible on glass repairs as opposed to replacement. That seems like a stupid policy since it leaves me with the option of paying for the entire cost of a repair (what are these anyway, about $50??) or just letting it ride until it runs and getting a new windshield for $100.

Anyhoo, I recall fixing one of these myself years ago and wondered if anybody has had good or bad luck with the home repair versions of glass repair kits. It's not in line of sight, but about 1/3 way in from right side, 1/3 way down windshield so almost up behind mirror for me.

Any specific recommendations welcome.

eta - a quick read of reviews on AMZN seems to indicate these are a love/hate proposition. Can't discern a pattern.....

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12708 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
State Farm has always been a dick for some reason over windshields. Frown

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Call a few glass places near you, I had a rock chip repaired for free a few years ago by a company. They just asked that if I ever have to have it replaced to make sure I come back to them. Took them all of 20 minutes and I had a hard time finding it when they were done.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
How long has it been since the crack appeared? The longer it has been, the less likely it can be repaired, as dust and dirt gets into the crack and can't be filled.

Posts: 3273 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Cant ya just whack it with a hammer to move the process along? Big Grin

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Timely question as I have been meaning to ask the same thing Georgeair.

Posts: 3824 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I’ve used the 3M kit with success. Easy to apply. Used another kind but forget what it was with equal success, though I prefer the 3M.

Didn’t make it go away, but made it look better and has so far prevented any spread.

YouTube it and you’ll see it’s easy.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11464 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I have repaired two on my RAV4 within the last three years using a RainX kit I ordered off Amazon...so far it has worked well...like Chongo said...it doesn't disappear (depending on the sun) as so much as it stopped the progression of the spider legs of the chip...so far it's worked for me (this is pretty much the same procedure ABRA auto glass did on my wife's Villager van's bullseye chip back in the day...I watched them to see what the "secret" was...there wasn't one...it was pretty much just this) but as in all things, YMMV.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/orcBeygpVxQ

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10592 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
I had a few small chips and tried a repair kit from Amazon but it didn't work for me. In early May I got a bad crack from a rock and got a new windshield from Safelite (using my State Farm deductible.) 10 days later on my way home from my vacation in OK I got hit with another rock and it cracked and spread to 3 feet in an hour. When I got home I found a local place and got another new windshield and paid just over $200 out of pocket and it's been good since.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
USAA has a rock chip repair agreement with safelite

Staefarm doesnt?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Live today as if it may be your last and learn today as if you will live forever

Posts: 6302 | Location: New Orleans...outside the levees, fishing in the Rigolets | Registered: October 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
I have repaired two on my RAV4 within the last three years using a RainX kit I ordered off Amazon...so far it has worked well...

I prefer the rainex kit over everything else on the market for a quick fix.

You can pick them up at Walmart.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by snwghst:
USAA has a rock chip repair agreement with safelite

Staefarm doesnt?

If they have an agreement, it's still subject to the deductible based on my conversation with claims folks. This varies state to state I believe, I know it used to be waived in AL. Not in TX or MS.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12708 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Drilling a hole at the run ends is the biggest pita. ....if they aren't stopped it is all worthless.
I tried and went through a couple of bits,tiny ones break. It worked but a windsheild is too affordable to keep repairing ....

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post