SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    X Chairs - Worth it?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

X Chairs - Worth it? Login/Join 
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted
Been thinking about one for my office.

Anything to know, models, features, positives or negatives?

Posts: 2831 | Registered: May 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Honest question.

Anybody?

McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
Never heard of it before. When I went permanent remote I got one of these and love it.

https://www.crandalloffice.com...eap-v2-office-chair/

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1731 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I've always hated cheap office chairs, especially when you consider how many hours of the day you may be sitting there and what they do to your body.
I have a Herman Miller Aeron but the Steelcase shown above is also a good choice. Both can be found slightly used for a much lower price than new and repair/replacement parts are available too to keep them in good shape for years.

Posts: 9501 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
I’ll second a Herman Miller. Just convinced myself to buy a real chair instead of the cheap ones. While i almost died when i saw the price, once i got it I felt it was worth the price.

Posts: 1772 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Get the Y chair ... upgraded model.

Posts: 22902 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
If it were me. I'd probably look at the Mavix. They seem to have good chairs.

Probably the route I'll go once I bite the bullet for a standing desk.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8849 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check office furniture stores (the ones that sell/rent to offices). Most have demo or nice used ones.
Mine steelcase broke a couple months back (not worth trying to track the plastic part down). Picked up a new Allsteel for $100

Posts: 186 | Location: The Lovely State of Illinois | Registered: November 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.

This is the chair in question.

https://www.xchair.com/

Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
Back in 2009 I swallowed really hard and bought one of these; https://ergohuman.com

I am sitting it that same chair as I type this. A good chair is worth every single penny.

Posts: 2287 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Don’t pay retail for an office chair.

I’ve been to auctions where you can pick up a Herman Miller Aeron chair for $180 bucks. I’ve bought sets if the deal is right.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
I love the mesh back & semi-mesh seat on my office chair. No branding anywhere on it, so probably a bulk commercial type.

Once we get our office done at home, I'll be looking into some of these suggestions, as the super cheap cardboard chair I was suffering with at home is in desperate need of an upgrade.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15304 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have ordered 2 of those for employees. They love them. The folks are taller and the back and headrest fit them great.

Posts: 937 | Location: Greeley, CO | Registered: March 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I have a Herman Miller Aeron. It’s the chair all other office chairs aspire to. It’s really an amazingly comfortable chair.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
Have you considered a standing desk? I’m not trying to thread drift or be funny, but there’s a reason that sitting for long periods sucks.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
Have you considered a standing desk? I’m not trying to thread drift or be funny, but there’s a reason that sitting for long periods sucks.

I had just posted about this earlier. But you do still need a chair when you do sit down.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8849 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I have an Aeron

excellent chair

Posts: 53175 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I bought a similar design from Office supply. The only thing that the X-chair offers is heat and massage. I've already had my taste of heat and body massage from a recliner.

I'm actually picky about my office chair but I focus more on the fit. I need the seat to go up and down so I can adjust the chair such that my knees are at a 90 degree angle. I need the arm chairs to go up and down such that my elbows are well supported without it pushing up my elbows and, in turn, my shoulders.

I started with this and then moved on to find a desk that can go up and down such that my forearms are level when I'm typing without bending my wrists up or down.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19657 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
I will let you know in a week as I ordered the x2 in a wide seat. It will be here today so I can give a week's review next Thursday.

Last Saturday my office chair of 10 years decided I needed to be reclined or laying down....

... So here is my review of only a few hours.

Assembly was straight forward, but if you get the upgraded arms look real hard for the longer screws that come with them.

Once it was together adjusting to fit my body is also very easy as one lever allows the seat to move fore and aft and the other lever on that side raises and lowers the seat.

It has the lock so you can lock it from reclining or lock it in a reclined position. And setting the recline tension is easy.

so far it is comfortable once adjusted, and the heat functions works good in the lumbar area of the chair

This message has been edited. Last edited by: lizardman_u,

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
okay, I have had the chair for more than a week.

I purchased the X2 with mesh seat and back, and massage and heat in the lumbar support (this is an add on), and I got the upgraded arms.

I went with the wide seat which gives room for my body and can accommodate a pistol/magazine carrier on the belt without getting hung up.

The upgraded arms swing out of the way and can be placed in many positions for your comfort.

This chair easily supports my 350 pounds and when I lean back I don't feel like I am going to be dumped on the ground.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post