SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone hand carve the little figurines ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone hand carve the little figurines ? Login/Join 
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted
I saw on YouTube a guy hand carving an owl. I thought it looked easy and I'd try it. Off to hobby lobby I went.
What took him 30 min took me 3 hours. The chity knives were the problem (and lack of skill).
I wound up with a box blade.
My owl "kinda" resembles an owl !

What /knives tools do you have?
I'm looking for a set.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I've only done a little bit of carving, but my impression has been that Flexcut is very high quality without being crazy expensive (but definitely isn't cheap).

https://www.flexcut.com/

I can at least attest that they have very nice handle and blade geometry and come with mirror-polished, beyond-razor-sharp edges.

I bought mine from Rockler.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
I have a sneaking suspicion it was a Doug Linker video you watched. He makes everything look so easy. I only have one knife at the moment, a Mora, but plan to get more as funds become available. The flexcut seems to be a great set already put together, but you can also get others as you need/want them.

Woodcraft.com

HighlandWoodworking.com

Posts: 2859 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I forgot to add, Pfeil, a Swiss company, supposedly also makes excellent woodcarving tools. I haven't ever used their carving tools, but I have used their woodworking chisels, which are very good.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I can quickly carve, perfect bloody thumbs and fingers, every time. Even with my eyes closed.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44459 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I can quickly carve, perfect bloody thumbs and fingers, every time. Even with my eyes closed.

That's the way we do it up north!
We have some really good chainsaw carvers up here in the Hills, and I have spent time watching them, and dreamed about trying this?
Wonder what I could do with a powered cutter? Maybe try it in the ER parking lot, would save ambulance charges!

Jim

Posts: 1353 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
I have not tackled the very small figurines. I have flexcut tools as part of my tool box. Micro tools and plethora of knives, gouges, v tools.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4889 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
That is some beautiful work Ozarkwoods!

They are all nice, but I especially like the waterwheel one.

Posts: 13715 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pursuing the wicked
Picture of rangemaster
posted Hide Post
I'm partial to the chainsaw carvers. You know- the guys who make 1:1 scale grizzly bears and bald eagles and shit......

Posts: 1629 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I have watched about 2 hours of Doug Linker's Youtube videos on carving little dudes. The guy is magic. I wish I had the talent to build a village of basswood folks like he did.

Maybe I'll try my hand at it.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4275 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have carved deer antler in the past.
Made a mother and baby blue whale for my daughter. It took some time, but I made it easier by soaking it in lemon oil for a while.
Made it about half as hard to carve.
Used pocket knives of various shapes and curves.

The most carving on wood I do any more is when I pistol grips and stock sets. Minimal carving at best, but some things you have to get "just right". Power tools can only do so much.

If I can force myself off my ass I will try to post some pics.

Posts: 359 | Registered: March 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some added information on working with antler - I have turned pieces on the lathe to do restoration work for antique spinning wheels.

Antler have been somewhat brittle to work for me, so what I learned was to boil it before turning. Works much better that way.

Posts: 2158 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
I have watched about 2 hours of Doug Linker's Youtube videos on carving little dudes. The guy is magic. I wish I had the talent to build a village of basswood folks like he did.

Mike

Isn't he ! Allot of ppl do it. I did a jack YOU kids use to play with) today with my exacto knife. It's rough as the owl but I'm dealing with bs tools.
I ordered some knives today.
There is a wood carving club here. I'm gonna go learn from them.

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Haveme1or2:
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:

Mike

Isn't he ! Allot of ppl do it. I did a jack (kids use to play with) today with my exacto knife. It's rough as the owl but I'm dealing with bs tools.
I ordered some knives today.
There is a wood carving club here. I'm gonna go learn from them.

Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Carving tools are like potato chips. You always want more. Flexcut has some great sets. One trick is regular sharpening.

Check with a couple of woodworking shops. Many have classes or know teachers.

https://www.woodcraft.com/prod...sEAQYASABEgIaxvD_BwE
https://www.woodcraft.com/prod...sEAQYBCABEgLHt_D_BwE
https://www.dickblick.com/prod...xcut-carving-knives/

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6065 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chris42,
I'll have to try boiling the antler.
Have a chunk of antler that would make a nice cane head. I put it off because of the difficulty of carving dried horn.
This will make a good winter project.

But trying to remain a little on topic I should ask
"does anyone think that lemon oil on wood, prior to carving, would keep splintering down?? I should have tried that before I carved the figure on the Yugo M57 grip panels. Brazilian walnut is like carving a nut shell, a little like carving a frozen chocolate bar.

Posts: 359 | Registered: March 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post