SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Edit: Bought a ‘21. Does anyone have a '20 or '21 Subaru Outback?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Edit: Bought a ‘21. Does anyone have a '20 or '21 Subaru Outback? Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
2019 and newer Foresters are built on the new Subaru Global Platform, which is shared by 2020 and newer Outbacks/Legacies and 2018(?) and newer Ascents (and underpins all future Subaru models, except the BRZ).

The SGP provides 70-to-100 percent stiffer bodies and 40% improvement to impact absorption in comparison to the outgoing models.

So, a new Forester will likely feel much more refined than a last generation Forester.

Good to know. I have no seat time in the current-gen OB/Forester.

I was coming from a 2015 Mercedes C300 & was surprised that I did not find either the OB or Forester underpowered with the base 2.5 N/A engine.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15323 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 20 outback premium with the turbo. It's my 3rd outback and I like it a lot. I have to drive over the mountain to work and route can get hairy in winter. No problems with the Subi. Got snow tires put on last week which just adds a bit of security in really bad conditions.

Posts: 244 | Location: Northeastern Pa | Registered: February 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I sat in the Outback it seemed a pain to drag my left leg up into it. Anyone have this issue and I assume you adapt. Seems like my pant leg would always be dirty swiping it across the bottom of the door opening.

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We just bought a '21 Outback Premium, trading in a '15 of the same trim level. We went in looking at the Ascent, wanting the three row seating and the driver assist/safety features. After driving the Ascent, my wife preferred the new Outback; letting her learn the new features on her own tries my patience, but I'll probably get through it. We like the Outbacks over the Forester because they seem more solid (door closing sounds better, less road noise) but we haven't driven the current Forester.

Posts: 99 | Location: Bremerton, WA | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Thanks all!

I now have a 2021 Outback Limited. The pricing, options and financing made it the best choice. I got it sans moonroof or any add on’s. I’ll put on some mud-flaps and such myself.

Drives great at 80mph, decent acceleration for in town with the standard 2.5 engine. Passing does fine, can’t really hear the engine spin up. The CVT is nice with no drama.

Quiet, easy to drive. The seats are comfortable, it’s easy to see out of.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Any favorite stores to buy Subaru parts? Oil filters etc?

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Enjoy - follow the maint schedule and it will last a long time

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4578 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
It ended up cheaper for me to buy some parts from the dealership once you factor in the cost of shipping. For maintenance stuff like oil, I just buy from Walmart or Menards. For the oil filter I actually bought the Japanese made filters.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Late to the party as you likely already ordered but my wife and I ordered all parts direct from the below vendor who was suggested - and they are less than dealer pricing - shipping wasn't too bad and times were quick

We added multiple items to both our vehicles including wind deflectors, door side trim color matched and door trim guards(the metal ones that color match)
https://www.subaruonlineparts.com/

Posts: 513 | Location: SEMO | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Riley:
Any favorite stores to buy Subaru parts? Oil filters etc?

Subaru Parts Warehouse is where I get my parts.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Drove one yesterday. Didn't buy it mainly because my fat a$$ did not fit in the skinny seats.

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I like this car more every day.

Currently planning to fit a foam mattress to the passenger side for a nap platform for those long solo trips and possibly an occasional overnight.

It fits my gear well in the back and the back seats are very nice.

Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Plans include some Falken tires, maybe a lift and eventually some Method wheels. Still need to add some some splash guards, seat back protectors and a dash cam.

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like this car more every day.

Currently planning to fit a foam mattress to the passenger side for a nap platform for those long solo trips and possibly an occasional overnight.

It fits my gear well in the back and the back seats are very nice.

I have, on many occasions, slept in my car on camping trips.

I use an insulated/inflatable backpacking mattress like you would use for backpacking or tent camping. REI or Big Agnes are good brands. You should be able to fit two side by side.

You also should get some WeatherTech window deflectors. This allows you to crack all the windows for ventilation while sleeping (and reducing condensation) even when it's raining. It's also nice for added privacy because your windows do not appear to be visibly cracked open from a distance with the deflectors in place.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Aeteocles,

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like that window deflector idea.

Posts: 7478 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I added a Fomoto valve to the oil pan. Now I can do a tool free oil\filter changes in about 10 minutes with the way they have the filter set up. Mess free as well. I guess I do use a filter wrench to get that started and a small piece of hose to drain the used oil into the old oil containers.

Posts: 1963 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Good stuff.

I have a Fumoto valve on my other cars but need to order before my first change.

Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good stuff.

I have a Fumoto valve on my other cars but need to order before my first change.

When you take off the factory plug, you will have your best results using a 6 point socket to take it off, along with a nice long breaker bar. 12 point will work but there are reports of rounding the corners on the plug. I know this from OB experience and from reading the Subaruoutback.org forum. Lots of smart people over there.

The factory plug is painted on the pan as part o the assembly process and you'll think that Subie thought it was the one bolt that holds to car together.

Posts: 4078 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
I saw that about a 6 point, which is what I try to use.

Maybe time for a few new tools, just because.

Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Buy a gallon of the Subaru blue Supercoolant to have on hand. You do not want to mix the coolant with other brands. A gallon will last a very long time just topping off the res.

I order my filters and crush washers online at my dealer, then pickup at the dealer. This oddball method saves me quite a few bucks versus just walking into the same dealer.

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post