SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fact Checkers on Facebook

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Fact Checkers on Facebook Login/Join 
posted
Maybe it is just my feed but "Fact Checkers" seem to have gone into their burrows on Facebook. I use FB to follow my Grandchildren and friends from high school. It was getting to the point for a time if any of my old pals posted anything even remotely conservative they would be fact checked or put in FB jail. This recently seems to be glaringly absent even from the most obviously anti progressive posts. Hopefully a spin off from Elon's threat to straighten things out on Twitter. Free speech should not be limited to one set of values. You might not like what others are saying but they have the right to express their opinions. Certainly not saying I love FB now but it is a minimal bit better than it was.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2876 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Facebook recently had to admit in a court filing their “fact checking” is not much more than their opinion check. The rub is how do you appeal and or complain if you get tossed in FB jail for x days. Short of quitting the ap. but difficult if that’s the main method of contact for friends and family.

Posts: 4737 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Report This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
Facebook recently had to admit in a court filing their “fact checking” is not much more than their opinion check. The rub is how do you appeal and or complain if you get tossed in FB jail for x days. Short of quitting the ap. but difficult if that’s the main method of contact for friends and family.
Perhaps not the most prudent course to get involved with FB in the first place?

Posts: 6400 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Report This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
I had an account directly after the EF5 locally. A few years later I tried to log in and nope, somebody had decided placeholder accounts needed to be purged.

Never happens on a gun forum tho. Accounts started in '04 with 2 posts suddenly rise from the dead to explicitly poke at new political angles - on one forum dozens at a time.

While FB was hot it was the Ministry of Truth playing whackamole with conservatives, then Twitter, who is being examined in detail now and shown to have taken FB's place as the Protector of the Narrative. Those days are now waning - this Administration had to actually start up it's own Disinformation checkers in Homeland. When posts online in free speech media get ratio'd 100 to 1 by people outing the lie and why, disinformation no longer lasts very long.

It doesn't take rocket surgery to figure a lot of this out, the press outs its own. Factcheckers weren't degreed nor qualified in their fields, just hired for their connections. The media itself isn't doing the job internally, either, Reuters just posted an article on valiant Ukraine soldiers repelling a Russian reconaissance raid - the picture shows them armed with paintball masks and cylinder equipped shooters. Somebody had to look at that photo to approve it for inclusion and world wide distribution. The media are no better than the family friends being paid to police their buddies workplace.

The issue with a lot of fact checking is that initial early reports from acknowledged subject matter experts who bring the facts are now attacked if they aren't the approved narrative. And the masses go along with it because its not in their wheelhouse and it's disturbing to discuss something they don't accept in their daily conversation. "Factcheckers" dont actually check anything, they steer conversations away from uncomfortable subjects to protect their paying interests. It's not very hard to do when 80% of the members can't fathom whats going on when they are years behind the curve.

There is a conversational phenomena described by a man named Overton - a window of acceptable subjects the people in general will talk about. It's when they get to the phase of discussing something openly that the merits are examined to make decisions over what is good vs evil. Those who don't even want to consider it are a drag on that conversation and they aren't all prim schoolmarms censoring unsavory subjects in public - they can be intimately connected to the criminal side of the equation and trying to cover it up.

For those who see things thru a lens of light and purity, it's hard to accept that evil abounds. For those who've been screwed over and taken for a ride, the school of hard knocks compels them to express caution based on the reality they have lived. It's nice to be ignorantly innocent of evil but attempting to flatline the discussion to salvage their emotional perspective is actually one tool to implement when covering up evil. They need to go outside and find four leaf clovers while the adults figure out what needs to be done. Their fantasy life isn't being destroyed when the protectors are engaged in reinstituting it.

Just dont watch the process if it's so disturbing. But don't get in the way of discovering how bad it really is - then a side was chosen and it's not supporting good, it's supporting the coverup. If someone doesn't want to see where it's going, they already know where it's going and that expression to stop it may just be crocodile tears. Stop being Michael Westons mom and just leave the hard decisions to those who can fix it.

FB, Twitter, etc are not your friends, they are the roller coaster that manage your allowable views on life and they just do the same thing over and over - divert your attention.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Report This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I'm still seeing "fact" checked memes and article every day on FB. In fact, a week ago, I got "fact" checked for posting this Kentucky Derby satire meme:

My cousin spent all of April in FB jail. He commented in a public thread, and somebody responded to his post with an incredibly racist meme (real deal racism not the fake libtard version). FB gave my cousin the ban, and denied his appeal even though it wasn't his post.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23102 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
It's not Fact Checking , it's Censorship .

Posts: 3971 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Report This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
This thread is like watching abused women returning back to their men just to be beat up again.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Report This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
tatortodd ... and the reason why I do not post in public group threads, I belong and read only.

I thought the same when thinking about sharing the Kentucky Derby winner meme ... but did not share.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Report This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
This thread is like watching abused women returning back to their men just to be beat up again.
No, they all just walked into a door.

Posts: 45334 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I read this thread and I head over to Facebook and what is the 10th post down in my feed?

The official Sigforum breakfast picture.

Since I linked to the Facebook post the picture link will expire in a few days.

Posts: 2486 | Location: Southern Minnesota | Registered: March 15, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Admin, please lock this thread it has already turned into a cluster. I simply made an observation about my FB feed and also stated why I used it. I don't give a stinking frack about other folks opinions about FB.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2876 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Report This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bettysnephew:
Admin, please lock this thread it has already turned into a cluster. I simply made an observation about my FB feed and also stated why I used it. I don't give a stinking frack about other folks opinions about FB.
Lack of stinking frack duly noted, thread locked.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Report This Post