SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Vehicle Insurance Question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vehicle Insurance Question Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted
once a vehicle is paid off, how much insurance do you keep on it, and what do you eliminate?

Posts: 53228 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
My car is paid for and out of warranty but I still buy full coverage. The car still has a high value in todays market so I feel it's well worth it and justified.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
of course paid off or not doesn't matter a hoot for liability coverage.
I personally choose to keep replacement value coverage on every vehicle for physical damage, but if you can absorb that loss without stress then you can assess the risk reward.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11015 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always keep full collision and comprehensive on every vehicle.

When I had a 10yr old, 190k "winter beater" that was worth ~$5k, I even kept full coverage on it. Since it was an extra car, the 6mo premium cost was almost a moot point. At least I wouldn't be out a $5k car if something happened.

Posts: 1947 | Location: Northeast, OH | Registered: May 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
My car is paid for and out of warranty but I still buy full coverage. The car still has a high value in todays market so I feel it's well worth it and justified.

Jim

Same here

Posts: 1571 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
once a vehicle is paid off, how much insurance do you keep on it, and what do you eliminate?

Full coverage -- just consider increasing the deductible if you are looking to save some money. I use a $1k as a deductible.

Posts: 178 | Registered: January 27, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You always see the self-proclaimed "personal financial experts" pushing this idea.

My opinion, if dropping your comprehensive is that significant of a savings to you that you are contemplating this, then you probably need to keep it because you could not afford to replace or repair your vehicle without it.

The only risk you are reducing for the insurance company is the cost of repairing or replacing you old clunker. For the insurance company, that's a tiny (and finite) risk in the big scheme of things and they price it accordingly.

Posts: 6627 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Liability.
Uninsured motorist.
Roadside assistance.
Nothing else.

Posts: 9168 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
Consult Kelley Blue Book to see if full coverage is even worth the cost. Remember the amount of your deductible.

When it comes to liability insurance, you want to have way more than the legal requirement! I have a million dollar umbrella policy, and I'm considering doubling that.

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10713 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by synthplayer:
Consult Kelley Blue Book to see if full coverage is even worth the cost. Remember the amount of your deductible.

When it comes to liability insurance, you want to have way more than the legal requirement! I have a million dollar umbrella policy, and I'm considering doubling that.

I do as well. I can't remember what coverage I have with just liability but with our litigious society I think an extra million in coverage is justified.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
The only new car I ever bought was a 2000 Durango. In 2015 or so at roughly 190,000 I dropped full coverage. 1 year later at 198,000 miles I slid on some ice and totaled it. I lost on that gamble. Was probably only worth $5k or so, but it still hurt to sell it for salvage.

Posts: 5768 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Not really an apples to apples kind of question, certain folks in certain places will have vastly different costs that folks in others don't forget.

Posts: 21122 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My vehicles are paid for but I keep full coverage. Too many idiots on the road with no or, under-insured coverage.

Posts: 1454 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I paid off a car a few years back and did the math and it just didn’t make any sense to drop collision and some of the other stuff to save a few bucks.

Posts: 33867 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
seriously it depends on your plan. I have agreed value coverage. I pick the number I get the price. If I didn't and we are going to haggle over market value, it makes no sense on an older vehicle. you will ultimately get squat.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11015 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Also something to consider is if your state is a No-Fault insurance state. This is how it works in Michigan, your state may have some differences.

One example of the other guys insurance paying for damages is if your car was hit while parked and nobody sitting behind the wheel it is considered an unoccupied vehicle under our No-Fault. But if someone is sitting behind the wheel it is considered an occupied vehicle and each vehicle’s insurer is then liable for damages to their own insured.

The other example, we have what is called Mini-Tort. If you for example are at fault and hit my car I can claim from your insurance company a maximum amount of $1000, basically either a deductible repayment or repairs to my vehicle if I do not have collision coverage. A thousand bucks doesn’t go too far for repairs or replacement of a totaled vehicle.

It works, well kind of, this assumes that the at fault driver has insurance, that is a whole other topic especially around our urban areas, many estimates that less than half of those drivers have any insurance at all despite that being mandatory here.

So at least in Michigan it’s a big gamble to go without some form of collision coverage. There are three different levels of collision coverage available and many different deductible levels also.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8137 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I’ve never dropped full coverage in my life of a vehicle I am driving. I do drop collision on my S2000 while it’s parked for the winter.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4241 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Full coverage as long as I own it.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I keep full coverage on mine. It's still worth ~$19k.

The small savings in insurance cost isn't worth the potential large outlay if I were to drop comprehensive and then damage/total the car. It would take over a decade to break even, even considering depreciation.

Posts: 32553 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
I'm wavering on this one. In the past I've always dropped full coverage in favor of just liability and uninsured motorist, once the loan is paid off. My last new vehicle purchase though was a `97 F-250 and for whatever reason I kept the full coverage on it for the entire 20 years that I drove it. Then I loaned it to a friend and she totaled it. State Farm gave me a bigger settlement than I had figured it was still worth. I'm tempted to call them up and see if they can tell me how much I paid in extra premiums over those 14 or so years after it was paid off, but I'm guessing either they don't want to or they just don't have that information anymore. It would be interesting to see if I paid more in premiums than I ultimately got for it.

The beater I'm driving now, I bought for cash with the settlement money from the F-250, and I'm only carrying the required coverage on it.

Posts: 7274 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post