SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Credit card declined - international travel.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Credit card declined - international travel. Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
After a near-disaster resulting from the one card I had not being accepted when I needed it: I now have three: Visa and MasterCard through my CU, and an AmEx card. I also travel with a cash reserve which gets changed to the local currency at the earliest opportunity.

I have occasionally run into places that don't accept AmEx, but, wherever it's accepted I've never, ever had a problem with it.

Hell, one time I bought $10,000 worth of computer hardware for a client with it. All AmEx wanted to do was confirm it was really me making the purchase Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Enjoy Computer Living
Picture of LoungeChair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
Currently the US is on the chip and signature system while the EU uses chip and pin. You insert the chip into the machine then authorize payment using a pin code. If you never set up a pin code on the card maybe the POS system doesn't even bother trying the transaction. It may still work at hotels because they see a higher percentage of international travelers and their POS system may be programmed different to push the transaction to the bank either way.

But I may be totally off base.

ETA: I should also add that some US credit cards will allow you to set up the card with a pin number so you can use it in Europe without issue. Just call up the CC company and ask about it.

Chip &pin is kind of like the metric system, it’s the norm everyplace in the world except the US. There are a few credit cards in the US that offer it, but not very many. You can’t just ask your card company to turn it on. You can get a pin for ATM cash withdrawals, but that’s not the same thing as a chip and pin card. I travel enough internationally that I went through the hassle of getting one from the State Department federal credit union a few years back. It comes in handy for transactions without humans (e.g. train ticket kiosks and Scandinavian gas stations).

-Loungechair

Posts: 675 | Registered: October 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Chase has been trouble free for me in Asia, Europe, and Kenya. Both the credit card and debit card for ATM transactions.

My Chase cards also have very good tenant benefits such as rental car insurance and the like.

I highly recommend Chase.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I have my Schwab account - great exchange rates, my local bank debit cards, and my AMEX when I travel.

So far, most of them work, but I always pay cash, aside from hotels.

Posts: 5740 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I have occasionally run into places that don't accept AmEx, but, wherever it's accepted I've never, ever had a problem with it.

Hell, one time I bought $10,000 worth of computer hardware for a client with it. All AmEx wanted to do was confirm it was really me making the purchase Smile

My AmEx has been hassle free. I have also made some large hardware purchases with it in foreign countries. I've never had a problem with it being declined. My Visa card has been problematic whenever I am so much as out of state.

Posts: 7558 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Does anyone have any recommendations with first hand experience on a card that always works in these regions? Not just hotels but smaller stores and restaurants. Should I just get another Chase or Citi card - Citi works but on the other hand, if I'm somewhere where Citi doesn't work, I have no redundancy if both cards are Citi.

Chase without hesitation.
From my main airport the Chase Ultimate Rewards points program has the best air & hotel partnerships. The Sapphire Reserve card is for frequent travelers and has very good insurance for purchases, very good for int'l travel. Steep annual fee ($450) but, you get $300 back in the form an annual credit so it really nets out to $150 annual. Sapphire Preferred has less benefits but, still a very favorable travel card compared to the rest of the marketplace. If you own your own business, look into their Ink business cards, as they have similar benefits as the Sapphire's. Most of the Chase cards will accumulate points, which you can consolidate to which ever is your best card to maximize it's usage.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post