SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do You Associate Things/People/Places With Songs?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do You Associate Things/People/Places With Songs? Login/Join 
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted
Have you ever seen a photo that you immediately associated with a song? I associate a lot of different things with music. Personal experiences mostly, but it can be anything. Weather, how I feel when I wake up, how the Jeep sounds when I start it up, the knowledge that the work day is going to be shitty. These things will kick off a song in my head depending on my mood.

I few days ago I was perusing twitter and I saw this photo.

And I immediately, without hesitation, thought of “Don’t Worry Baby” by the Beach Boys. Don’t know why but I enjoyed the hell out of it. Pulled it up on the web and blasted it.

Such a good song. Reminded me of my youth. Maybe that song just reminded me of how much fun I used to have back in HS. Back when we played the Beach Boys and raced cars and drove beat up old trucks off road. And fixed them. The good old days…

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
In 1987, I had been living in Uruguay for almost 2 years. We had plans to meet some other Americans at a pizza place in Montevideo one day. When we walked in, 'Suburbia' by the Pet Shop Boys was playing really loud, and for some reason, that moment in time was etched into my memory. Whenever I hear that song today, I'm immediately taken back to that moment.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4931 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Some songs remind me of things I was doing when I first heard them. Some of the 60’s songs remind me of gigs I played back in the day.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4233 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The air above the din
Picture of Aquilon
posted Hide Post
In short, yes, all the time.

Posts: 966 | Location: Virginia | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Often it's not even a specific song, but a certain genre of music that reminds me of a person or just a time in my life.

80s pop reminds me of high school. I was a metalhead but the pop stuff just reminds me of the people I knew back then. There are many examples of specific songs that remind me of certain ex girlfriends.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12440 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your Love by the Outfield. I just finished my last final exam at Virginia Tech and was heading home for the summer, 1986. This SONG boomed across "Prarie Quad" from somebody's dorm on the way to get my car from the long-term parking lot. I was happy, I liked that song, and to this day, when that songs kicks off I smile and remember that feeling, that day.

Posts: 3539 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Creedence, The Doors=Vietnam for me

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Probably the most notable was driving west on I-40 about 25 years ago and went through Winslow, AZ with the radio on when a song came on.
What are the chances of that happening?

Posts: 9524 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Were you "Such a fine sight to see"?

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4233 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Reelin' in the Years" and "Stuck in the Middle with You" always reminds me of driving down to the Florida Keys on spring break my senior year in '73.

Posts: 772 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
The Shriners Convention by Ray Steven always reminds me of the last family reunion we went to. It was playing when we arrived at the hotel. I might have been 8….

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11290 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I'll go a step further and admit that I've intentionally attached soundtracks to various experiences to aid recollection. Greenday's Dookie brings me back to the Louvre the summer after I graduated High School.

Posts: 13049 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
"Light my Fire", The Doors, flashbacks to Vietnam.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
We lived just over Togwotee Pass from Dubois. I know exactly where the Double Diamond was. Couldn’t visit or go through Dubois without thinking of this song. There was also a Colorado band that I saw frequently in my younger days that did a nice rendition of this song, so it’s tattooed on my heart.

Posts: 13283 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
When I hear a song that I enjoy I can almost always tell you where I was the first time I heard it, when and where I bought the album from (if I bought a physical copy) and I have a memory attached.

I have a strong attachment to music.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15256 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Pink Floyd, Animals (the whole album).

Bought it two weeks after high school summer vacation started (from junior, to senior) and a few days before breaking out with chickenpox.

Listened to it all summer.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only one I can think of right now is Welcome to the Danger zone by Kenny Loggins.

I was driving the lead MRAP with a mine-roller doing the whole right-seat left seat thingy with the new team. One of the new team members put it on the internal radio system. It was playing before we got hit.

(State Dept ruled it a motor vehicle accident)

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
All the time. Doesn't everyone?

Certain songs are associated with books I've read that made a strong impression on me. Happens when the feelings and associations each evoke kind of sync up.

Some exes have associated songs. Most pretty pleasant, one not.

There are time periods and places that have songs that go with them, some a little odd. Like the time I did an interstate move in a really crappy old UHaul with a radio that barely worked, and at 1am I'm on some stretch of road where all I can tune in is this college station that played this one song I'd never heard before but really liked. Now that song and that period (and move) are forever linked.

Even have songs that were incorporated into particularly vivid dreams I've had (sometimes your subconscious *really* wants to tell you something) and now the song and the dream, and its message, are linked.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down With The Sickness
Picture of Sclass
posted Hide Post
Simple Minds - Don't You Forget About Me will always remind me of the girl I saw The Breakfast Club with. The 80's were a great time to be a teen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdqoNKCCt7A

Posts: 659 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: December 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For me it’s the “Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald”. In a prior life I was on a derrick barge in the North Sea when we broke a tow line during a storm. We were in a trough and I could see the underside of the tug on the wave crest above us. I get shivers whenever I hear that song.

Posts: 992 | Location: Nashville | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post