SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sessions orders Justice Department to review all police reform agreements
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sessions orders Justice Department to review all police reform agreements Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted
https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.db145ff20216

Attorney General Jeff Sessions ordered Justice Department officials to review reform agreements with troubled police forces nationwide, saying it was necessary to ensure that these pacts do not work against the Trump administration’s goals of promoting officer safety and morale while fighting violent crime.

In a two-page memo released Monday, Sessions said agreements reached previously between the department’s civil rights division and local police departments — a key legacy of the Obama administration — will be subject to review by his two top deputies, throwing into question whether all of the agreements will stay in place.

Sessions ltr:

https://assets.documentcloud.o...tdecreebaltimore.pdf

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One, the Only Mighty Paragon
Picture of Paragon
posted Hide Post
I was waiting for this.

Get in there and finish off this nonsense, Mr. Sessions.

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 12062 | Location: Central FL | Registered: April 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About the beat cops get a backing from D.C. and not stabbed in the back like the previous administration!

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Outstanding!

Anyone interested in details about some of the nonsense that police agencies have been extorted into accepting should read The War on Cops by Heather Mac Donald.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47678 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
three important lines from the letter:

"Law enforcement officers perform uniquely dangerous tasks, and the Department should help promote officer safety, officer morale, and public respect for their work."

"It is not the responsibility of the federal government to manage non-federal law enforcement agencies"

"Collaboration between federal and local law enforcement is important, and jurisdictions whose law enforcement agencies accept funding from the Department are expected to adhere to the Department's grant conditions as well as to all federal laws."

adding:
this is a very minor observation, but the link to Sessions Ltr ends w the words "Consentdecreebaltimore".

not sure of the significance (if any) but might show one of the specific areas being looked at

Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
It'll be interesting how this affects our Chicago PD brethren!

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4358 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
For all the noise Dems have made about the Trump administration, I'm waiting to hear someone at the New Orleans PD say "No! We want the FBI to maintain satellite offices in our Internal Affairs Division!"

Somehow I think I'll be waiting for a long time.

Posts: 27302 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing my best to shape
America's youth
Picture of MooneyP226
posted Hide Post
I'm not yet tired of winning, are you? I'm not Public safety/ LE but have many friends and family who are. I truly hope the Federal Government of the US can turn the entire attitude around.

Thank you, Attorney General Sessions.

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
Jeff Sessions sought to delay or modify the 227 page Obama administration decree to regulate the Baltimore police.

Obama appointed judge James Bredar refused to deviate from the agreement .

Sessions pointed to the so-called “Ferguson effect” taking place in Baltimore since the Gray-riots, where police back off enforcement for fear of inflaming the public fury and incurring sanction for civil rights violations. According to Session’s statement:

Baltimore has seen a 22 percent increase in violent crime in just the last year. While arrests in the city fell 45 percent based on some of these ill-advised reforms, homicides rose 78 percent and shootings more than doubled.

Just in 2017, we’ve seen homicides are up another 42 percent compared to this time last year. In short, the citizens of Baltimore are plagued by a rash of violent crime that shows no signs of letting up.

http://www.breitbart.com/law-e...or-baltimore-police/

Obama style "justice" - more power to the thugs

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:

"Law enforcement officers perform uniquely dangerous tasks, and the Department should help promote officer safety, officer morale, and public respect for their work."

"It is not the responsibility of the federal government to manage non-federal law enforcement agencies"

"Collaboration between federal and local law enforcement is important, and jurisdictions whose law enforcement agencies accept funding from the Department are expected to adhere to the Department's grant conditions as well as to all federal laws."

adding:
this is a very minor observation, but the link to Sessions Ltr ends w the words "Consentdecreebaltimore".

not sure of the significance (if any) but might show one of the specific areas being looked at

That middle one being the most important. The rest while true and accurate and not based in the constitution.

quote:
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21107 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks like Marilyn Mosby is getting nowhere trying to have the lawsuit against her thrown out.

https://www.themarshallproject...sued-them#.IkgnQCQqV
Cops Win Another Round Pursuing the Prosecutor Who Pursued Them
A judge rules against Marilyn Mosby in the Freddie Gray case.

When the officers were in the middle of a legal fight for their lives, it would have been nearly impossible to imagine winning and seeing Mosby about to get slammed by the judicial system.

I suspect most of this police review business is about making some city officials look good, and helping the Obama and BLM types push their phony agenda. Sort of like the democrats being on the side of the oppressed, when the truth is that they want the poor to stay poor so the dems can harvest the votes of "the oppressed".

-c1steve

Posts: 4121 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:

My humble prediction?
We're still heading towards the abyss. Things here will get worse before they're going to get better.

Don't get me wrong, I love the letter, and the meaning behind it. But here? Chicago? It won't matter too much. The finger of culpability will not be pointed where it needs to be pointed.
The cry of "we need more of other peoples money!" will be heard. And when that $ isn't freely given, "It's Trumps fault!" will happen.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8522 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
quote:

My humble prediction?
We're still heading towards the abyss. Things here will get worse before they're going to get better.

Don't get me wrong, I love the letter, and the meaning behind it. But here? Chicago? It won't matter too much. The finger of culpability will not be pointed where it needs to be pointed.
The cry of "we need more of other peoples money!" will be heard. And when that $ isn't freely given, "It's Trumps fault!" will happen.

I agree. Another problem is Rahm is done. I do not believe he will win another election. But the people waiting in the wings to succeed him are even worse than he is.

Posts: 5787 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by c1steve:
Looks like Marilyn Mosby is getting nowhere trying to have the lawsuit against her thrown out....

Squirm, bitch.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44458 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
I suspect most of this police review business is about making some city officials look good

That, and allowing them to blame someone else in city government, and allowing them to blame federal interference and demands when their cities aren't policed properly, and potentially creating a path to bringing in the federal government to share the burden of defending against future lawsuits based on allegations of police brutality.

All of which are outstanding reasons for Sessions to insist that the federal government is not in the buisness of managing local police forces.

Posts: 27302 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
And soon there will be NOTHING remaining from the 8 years of Obama's destructive term.
Maybe his library will be in Kenya next to his non-participating Daddy.
FBHO

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...050018905#1050018905

Posts: 8671 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:

adding:

These notions will come as quite a novel shock to his most recent predecessors.

Is that document link at WaPo or DOJ?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
the original doc link was thru Wash Post

Here is the link directly from DoJ:

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr...file/954916/download

interesting place to roam around:

https://www.justice.gov/news

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
quote:

My humble prediction?

I agree. Another problem is Rahm is done. I do not believe he will win another election. But the people waiting in the wings to succeed him are even worse than he is.

Worse? Godammit, THAT is depressing

Posts: 405 | Registered: November 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
the original doc link was thru Wash Post

Here is the link directly from DoJ:

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr...file/954916/download

So the wording of the WaPo link has nothing to do with the DOJ's attitude, plans or intentions.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post