SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sentence for Doctor Guilty of Raping Patient Stuns Lawyers
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sentence for Doctor Guilty of Raping Patient Stuns Lawyers Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
Jury needs to have their heads examined. Mad

http://www.newser.com/story/26..._campaign=rss_us_syn

Sentence for Doctor Guilty of Raping Patient Stuns Lawyers
Shafeeq Sheikh isn't going to prison

By Rob Quinn, Newser Staff
Posted Aug 20, 2018 12:03 AM CDT
Updated Aug 20, 2018 6:33 AM CDT

(NEWSER) – A former doctor in Houston found guilty of raping a sedated patient receiving treatment for a severe asthma attack doesn't have to serve a day in prison, a jury decided Friday. Shafeeq Sheikh was instead sentenced to 10 years' probation for the 2013 assault at Ben Taub hospital, the Houston Chronicle reports. Sheikh wasn't assigned to the woman's case, but entered the woman's room repeatedly after noticing her breast implants, jurors were told. Assistant DA Lauren Reeder had urged the jury of five women and seven men to remember that Sheikh used his position to sexually assault a vulnerable woman. "He sought her out. He chose her to prey on," Reeder said. Sheikh, who is married with children, claimed the encounter was consensual.

The victim, who is now 32, testified that she was weak and tethered to machines when a doctor began touching her breasts during a chest exam. She said the doctor returned repeatedly overnight, raping her on the third visit, the AP reports. Witnesses confirmed that the button she had tried to use to call a nurse for help had been unplugged. Defense lawyer Stanley Schneider argued that Sheikh, who was stripped of his medical license, had already been punished. "The dreams of a man, the childhood dream to become a doctor, were shattered by his conduct," Schneider said. "He destroyed his own dreams." Advocacy groups say they are stunned by the decision, which analysts say is unusually lenient, especially since doctors are usually held to a higher standard.

Q

Posts: 26461 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree. In most of these cases as you well know there is a pattern of behavior and likely other victims. The loss of his medical license does not mean his life is over. There are plenty of other ways to make money using his medical knowledge. Some of these folks have been known to practice abroad without any problem.

Posts: 17263 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
I'm a doctor, I take care of sedated patients on a regular basis. This asshole needs to be in jail, just like all the other rapists. Preferably in Gen-Pop with a bunch of other people who like to take advantage of those that are weaker than they.

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by barndg00:
I'm a doctor, I take care of sedated patients on a regular basis. This asshole needs to be in jail, just like all the other rapists. Preferably in Gen-Pop with a bunch of other people who like to take advantage of those that are weaker than they.

Rapists need killin, now. Not later by gen-pop, now.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11301 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
That crazy.
Do none of those jury have daughters?
...as in, what if it were their daughter, or wife or mother he raped while incapacitated.

Should not that be an assault by an authority figure as well, and doesn't that usually carry a more severe penalty.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
Hopefully she can get some justice in civil court.

Where is all the outrage from #MeToo?

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2093 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Hopefully the woman's male relatives will take care of this.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4582 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12648 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How does a sedated person give consent? She deserves everything she can get in the civil trial, but the hospital will be on the hook for that, the criminal probably dosen't have much to go after

Posts: 206 | Registered: January 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
'justice' at its finest...just when you thought the bar couldn't get any lower, the bring out the heavy equipment and dig some more

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53218 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scott in NCal:
How does a sedated person give consent? She deserves everything she can get in the civil trial, but the hospital will be on the hook for that, the criminal probably dosen't have much to go after

Last time I had surgery, they even tell you not to make any important decisions for 24 hrs after sedation. Whoever came up with this sentence are/is friggen morons.

Posts: 1044 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
That crazy.
Do none of those jury have daughters?
...as in, what if it were their daughter, or wife or mother he raped while incapacitated.

Should not that be an assault by an authority figure as well, and doesn't that usually carry a more severe penalty.
Perhaps the prosecution didn't do their job properly and the jury had no choice. As horrible as this is, I don't want to live under a legal system based on feelings.

Posts: 45385 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Steed:

That might be hard for her according to this article.
https://www.houstonchronicle.c...d-liable-6603131.php

Posts: 465 | Location: Space City | Registered: October 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by unarmed:
quote:
Originally posted by John Steed:

That might be hard for her according to this article.
https://www.houstonchronicle.c...d-liable-6603131.php
Thanks for that link. I still can't believe the court interpreted the tort reform law that way.
From the linked article:
quote:
The Texas Supreme Court has ruled that rape in some circumstances is covered by medical malpractice laws.

In 2003, as part of a sweeping tort reform package, lawmakers tweaked the definition of medical liability claims to include breaches in "standard of care" and safety. With some dissent, courts construed that definition to include sexual assault in the health care setting. Texas' medical malpractice statutes are considered among the most prohibitive in the country. Lawmakers severely capped damages for pain and suffering and set up expensive hurdles for potential plaintiffs. As a result of the law, Laura must pay to retain a physician expert to testify to the obvious fact that rape is a violation of acceptable standard of care.

If Laura's attacker was an employee of an AC repair company servicing her home, the egregious nature of the case and the malicious conduct could produce an award of millions in court, said veteran Houston personal injury lawyer Jim Perdue Jr.

Reference the bold text in quote above. It really takes "a physician expert" to testify that "rape is a violation of acceptable standard of care"?

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2093 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

Rapists need killin, now. Not later by gen-pop, now.
I'm not sure about killing him, but he should be rendered incapable of repeating the rape. Castration might be appropriate.

He could still make a living singing soprano in the Vienna boy's choir.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30715 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Each time I hear someone say "he paid his debt to society", I always bring this type stuff up. People aren't "paying a debt". They are getting pennies on the dollar sentences, usually reoffending/violating the terms in some manor while out on bond, and most often allowed to plea without admitting they did the crime.

That is why the just justice system is a revolving door. You have no fears in any accountability these days, so do what you please.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37119 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
If he was an MD when this happened, he has malpractice insurance. The insurance company might fight having to pay claiming it was criminal intent, not medical malpractice. But they may still end up on the hook.

I might buy the jury not believing the woman's story and acquitting him. But to convict him, then give him a puff ball sentence makes no sense.

quote:
Originally posted by Scott in NCal:

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The judge needs to be sedated and placed in general population for the night.

Posts: 6894 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indigoss
posted Hide Post
If I were the victim’s loved one, I would be glad the doc was set free. Some real justice could then be administered. People committing petty theft have suffered harsher penalties, unreal.

Posts: 1278 | Location: West Palm Beach, FL | Registered: June 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post