SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Curious Case of the Hyper Gray Man
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Curious Case of the Hyper Gray Man Login/Join 
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9750 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Ah yes. What I termed the neon gray man several years back.

A walking contradiction, they claim they're "blending in", but are actually standing out, which subconsciously was their intent all along. Furthering the contradiction by simultaneously being obsessed with concealed firearms, while also wanting to make it obvious to everyone that they're uber-tacticool and therefore are carrying a gun.

This is just a more modern evolution/offshoot of the "GWOT contractor" look that all these kinda guys were rocking in the mid/late 2000s. Big Grin A little less coyote tan and desert boots and a little more gray/OD and hiking boots, but the same kinda ballcaps, sunglasses, beards, cargo pants, untucked shirts, and backpacks/sling bags.

(Though the hyper gray men in the video are seriously lacking in patches... I mean, not one american flag, sheepdog, or 3% velcroed to their hat or stuck on the backpack?!)

Posts: 33102 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The YT comments are gold.

Stuff like:

"Hyper Gray Man Syndrome has been theorized by some researchers to be a developmental disorder caused by extreme cognitive dissonance. What typically happens is that a juvenile male comes across Sun Tzu's direction to appear weak when you are strong and appear strong when you are weak, and this creates a contradiction. The ego understands the advantages of misrepresenting capability but can't allow for a presentation of weakness, so the dysfunctional compromise manifests as a Hyper Gray Man."

and

"So, SHOT Show is really just a Grey Pride event?"

Big Grin

Posts: 33102 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Crap. I don't do Paypal anymore and thats all they take for donations. They're doing good work. Wink

Posts: 7489 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I swear it seems that aside of hippies, this valley attracts a ton of these douche canoes. The ballcap, beard and sunglasses… lol. The “sheepdog” patches and bumper/window stickers are out of control around here. So are the ridiculous number of AR15 stickers too. Not picking on my southern neighbors, but a strong majority of the AR stickers are accompanied by a red, white, and green flag. Flexing that bravado!

quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'd fly to Turks and Caicos with live ammo falling out of my pockets before getting within spitting distance of NJ with a firearm.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4365 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
G.R.I.N.D.R. Big Grin

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16230 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
The YT comments are gold.
and

"So, SHOT Show is really just a Grey Pride event?"

Big Grin

well,

went to shot 2 yrs ago, and can't really fault the logic

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10589 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
I swear it seems that aside of hippies, this valley attracts a ton of these douche canoes. The ballcap, beard and sunglasses… lol. The “sheepdog” patches and bumper/window stickers are out of control around here. So are the ridiculous number of AR15 stickers too. Not picking on my southern neighbors, but a strong majority of the AR stickers are accompanied by a red, white, and green flag. Flexing that bravado!

speaking as someone that works the gun show circuit, I can't tell you the number of this grey folks I see,

sorta a drift, but I was chatting with the State cop that runs security at the local (to me, kinda my home show) and during the conversation I asked how many off duty/ undercover guys he and the ATF had at the show,

surprisingly, no ATF he knew off, and he said 5 or 6,

I smiled and said I think I have seen 4 of them,

and honestly, one younger guy, who was local PD, looked like the stereotypical fed boi meme,
as in khaki pants, tight plaid short sleeve shirt, and gay ,,

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10589 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
There is one time dressing like the ‘neon grey man’ may be a thing. That would be when the average bloke can’t carry a gun but dresses like the type.

I don’t necessarily mean all the way to the NRA had and gun labeled shirt, but maybe halfway there.

Posts: 6422 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
"magic paracord" Big Grin

Posts: 18381 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post