SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Vehicle AC question.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vehicle AC question. Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
So the shop i use told me a dirty condensor was preventing my AC from getting cold.

The desk guy told me to wash the grill, radiator which is where a transmission cooler and condensor is located. LIghtly pressure wash it off a few times a season. First I have heard of that. Any truth to that?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
well, it's possible, but more likely a leak in the ac system, losing freon, won't hurt to wash it, but probably need to find an AC shop you trust to test it.

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Condenser is in front of the radiator, and usually the same overall size. When you look through the grill the condenser is what you see.

Bad airflow will affect cooling capacity, that's true. But bad airflow through the condenser also means bad airflow through the radiator so you might be running hotter there too.

Can't hurt to clean it off and see what happens.

Posts: 4714 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes there is. The condenser is the heat exchanger for your AC system. If it is blocked or plugged up, it reduces the amount of air going through the condenser that can carry heat away from your system. It is similar to the pollen, dust and leaves that collect on your house AC condenser.

--------------------------------------------
You can't have no idea how little I care.

Posts: 344 | Registered: December 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Unless you live in Love Bug country or some other extreme area, a few times a year is overkill.
I would also be very careful using a pressure washer on the very easily bent fins of the aluminum condenser flat and then you would have a problem.
I also agree with the others, not likely that's your A/C cooling problem.

Posts: 9510 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Ok guys, sounds plausible at least. I appreciate the info and thoughts.

Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Do you drive in a dusty environment?

It's possible and I don't see them turning away work if it was something else unless it was a job they didn't want to do.

Will not hurt to hose it down and clean it. You should be able to look and see if it's caked is funk.

I would try and get a look at it and then hose it down. Simple and cost nothing but a little time. If it works great if not take it to another shop.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16399 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
It was in for a check. Complete system replacement. Compressor, ect. Not condensor 18 month or so ago.
Added 7 oz of refrigerant, cleaned the condensor. System blowing at 48 degree's according to them. They did charge me which I was not crazy about sense the bill 18 months ago was a big expense.

There is some dust involved in my driving environment. Not miles of it though.

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Are you saying that you had parts of the system replaced 18 months ago and now it's back for a check...

And at this check they cleaned the condenser, added refrigerant, and said that you should clean the condenser more often?

Sounds like they are deflecting blame for a shoddy job.

Posts: 13048 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
yes Aet, that is how it went pretty much. Charged $125 to boot. Frown

I guess I should of questioned things a bit more in terms of the charge. My normal contact was not there at the time.

I am not to sure how AC service is stood behind by shops in general?

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Dirty condenser won't cause leaks???

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
Did you ever have to clean the condenser on any of your cars before?

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The "added refrigerant" part is what you should be questioning. AC systems are not sealed like a refrigerator or freezer and operate under much harsher conditions but even still, it shouldn't leak seven ozs. in eighteen months. Look around your engine bay at your AC components for fittings on lines and components that may have green color on them. It may be dye that is used to find leaks. Something may not have been tightened or installed correctly and it has taken this long to lose enough refrigerant to affect performance.

--------------------------------------------
You can't have no idea how little I care.

Posts: 344 | Registered: December 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
The vehicle is a 2000 astro van. Is 7 oz of refrigerant a lot or not much in my system.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wheels:
AC systems are not sealed like a refrigerator or freezer

"Not sealed", Typo?

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:
quote:

"Not sealed", Typo?

I think he's referring to Type 1 vs MVAC?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20822 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
The vehicle is a 2000 astro van. Is 7 oz of refrigerant a lot or not much in my system.

I am assuming you don’t have rear A/C, If so, your system takes 2 lbs. or 32 ozs. of refrigerant. 7 ozs. is almost 25%, so yeah that is alot. I would find where the leak is. Unless the condenser was jammed with junk, I doubt that this is part of the issue.

Posts: 5200 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks SFB, Said the condensor was gunked up. Which they should of checked when they did the work 18 month ago. Not a lot of miles driven in that time. I do have rear AC. I am going to ask them about the needing more refrigerant. Which seems like why the thing was just just blowing cool, not cold. Said the system was good? So either it was't or they did not put enough in when the compressor was replaced. Right?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
quote:

"Not sealed", Typo?

I think he's referring to Type 1 vs MVAC?

And what exactly does that have to do with the units 'not' being sealed?

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:

And what exactly does that have to do with the units 'not' being sealed?

No clue? Maybe he is running this?

Or maybe he misspoke?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis