SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    KitchenAid Quality? (refrigerator)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

KitchenAid Quality? (refrigerator) Login/Join 
posted
We paid a bit more for KithcenAid appliances (refrigerator, washer and dryer) 25 years ago and they are all still functioning with minimal maintenance over the years. We are considering replacing the refrigerator, and definitely want to go with something made in the US, but it seems that there are quite a few complaints out there about KitchenAid.

I know that it's hard to evaluate the validity of complaints, and "Nobody makes 'em like they used to", but am wondering if KitchenAid is still worth the premium price?

Posts: 770 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I remodeled my kitchen, I put in a lot of Kitchen Aid units. That was 23-25 years ago, and they are still doing just great. For me, I will replace Kitchen Aid with Kitchen Aid.....they just have a great track record in my house.

Posts: 6622 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Good stuff, KA is Whirlpool's luxury brand.

Posts: 4697 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
GTG according to Brad when we were shopping.
KA, Whirlpool, Amana & I think 1 other are all under the same group.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15328 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have had intermittent ice maker problems that seem to be the same with all the refrigerators.

Otherwise it has been working fine for at least 10 years. We have the French Door with the extra crisper door my wife really likes it.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 2001 Kenmore (mostly Whirlpool) major appliances are all still going, with a couple caveats. Fridge has had two thermostat replacements and a new icemaker - I do my own repairs but the 2nd thermostat and icemaker parts were courtesy of our very own Appliance Brad. Microwave had a recall, then died, and I replaced it. The door latch broke and when ordering the parts found it was a Samsung. Dishwasher I replaced the door seal but that's it. Stove/Oven Range has been fine.

If KA is still rebadged Whirlpool, it's a good choice, but not necessarily any better than Whirlpool for the base parts.

My Maytag Neptune Washer blew out the drum bearings by 2018 and I replaced the set with Whirlpool front loaders. No issues yet.

Just get Whirlpool/Maytag/Amana and you'll be fine.

My Kitchen Aid counter top stuff - Mixer, Blender, Processor, and most of the manual stuff are pretty bullet proof. Only thing I broke so far was a Turkey baster, sucking up hot liquid grease from something in the oven. Thing cracked due to the heat.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Lefty Sig,

Posts: 4727 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Our KA fridge died after 5 years.

Replaced it with a Samsung that died after a WEEK.

Samsung made good and replaced it with same model, but it did take two weeks for that to happen. Paid for food loss and $50 “inconvenience” spiff. Replacement has been solid for 18 months.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10940 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m an employee, but I personally buy the KA appliances myself when shopping. I also like to stick to the bottom freezer models, as they’re made in the USA (Iowa). If you’re looking and want to check out a friends and family discount, email the address in my profile.

Posts: 345 | Location: Ohio | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks absolut. We don't know yet if it needs to be replaced, but I'll keep your generous offer in mind.

Posts: 770 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Based on advice here, recently picked up a Whirpool to replace a 27 year old GE Profile. Same manufacturer as KA, and I would have preferred the KA for the higher quality details, but the exterior handle style on the Whirlpool matched our other appliances better.

So far so good. A little louder than the old GE, and the ice bin is small, but given today's quality, if I get 15 years out of it I'll be thrilled. The cube ice instead of the crescent shape is an upgrade.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigseller2000
posted Hide Post
Our house came with a 42" built in kitchen aid. Had the appliance guy come out a few years ago to fix something and he advised that we should just continue to rebuild this unit, as the new ones are some bulked up with tech they tend to not last as long. Think the fridge is now 20, this better not jinx me!

Posts: 782 | Location: Chicago area | Registered: November 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
When I remodeled my kitchen, I put in a lot of Kitchen Aid units. That was 23-25 years ago, and they are still doing just great. For me, I will replace Kitchen Aid with Kitchen Aid.....they just have a great track record in my house.

Only problem is someone is going to buy an appliance today, not 20+ years ago...

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...720002964#6720002964

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jigray3:
Based on advice here, recently picked up a Whirpool to replace a 27 year old GE Profile. Same manufacturer as KA, and I would have preferred the KA for the higher quality details, but the exterior handle style on the Whirlpool matched our other appliances better.

So far so good. A little louder than the old GE, and the ice bin is small, but given today's quality, if I get 15 years out of it I'll be thrilled. The cube ice instead of the crescent shape is an upgrade.

I also recently bought a Whirlpool lower freezer double door model to replace an 18 year old GE whose icemaker died for the 3rd time.

Looks good to me and it's got a huge capacity inside.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:

Only problem is someone is going to buy an appliance today, not 20+ years ago...

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...720002964#6720002964

You are most certainly correct, but I feel that Kitchen Aid is still the "Pick of the litter".

Posts: 6622 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
GT-40DOC, you are entirely correct - I should have mentioned that in this particular case a Kitchenaid appliance would be a fantastic choice, the quality is much better than LG/Samsung or any of the Chinesium out there.

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post