SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Peanut Butter: Chunky = Crunchy?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Peanut Butter: Chunky = Crunchy? Login/Join 
Picture of Rawny
posted
I love peanuts, but I hate them if they are mushy like beans. I know they are technically beans, but I prefer the crispy texture of dry roasted peanuts. They aren't used often in Western cuisines, but are quite common in Asian food. Zongzi, which is the Chinese equivalent of the tamale, would sometimes have peanuts mixed into the rice. Whenever I find them in my food, I reject it absolutely.

That said, I love peanut butter, and been on the creamy camp all my life. Then recently, I picked up the "Crunchy" Natural Jif by mistake. I had already opened it, so I grudgingly gave it a try...and loved it! Big Grin

I always thought they were either creamy or chunky, but Jif call theirs "Crunchy", while Skippy is just "Chunky". To me, chunky does not necessarily mean crunchy.

Have the peanuts in "chunky" always been crispy, or was keeping them from softening an improvement that came later?

Posts: 2674 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
The crunchier/chunkier the better. Jif and Publix are my favorites.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12811 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I love nuts of all kinds, they're pretty much my go to "junk" food.

But I hate nuts that are mixed in or sprinkled on something, like fudge or ice cream or whatever, and definitely don't want them in my peanut butter.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
As per the smart people the peanut is not a nut but belongs to the "legume" family closely related to some of the bean family. But I don"t care because I like me some roasted and salted / boiled with cajun spices / the smooth spreadable is my favorites but could force myself to do chunky or crunchy. ................................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2044 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I love peanuts just about any way you want to serve them and I love both kinds of peanut butter. I've never had crunchy peanut butter where the nuts were mushy.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10512 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
choosy moms choose chardonnay

Posts: 4749 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also have never experience mushy ... Goobers.
I believe the proper descriptive term is crunchy.
And they have little plastic squeeze pouches now so your PB is neatly portable. Great invention!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16170 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
For those of you who have always been in the "Chunky" camp, think back to your childhood going back decades. Have the bits of peanuts always been crunchy and not mushy? Now I'm wondering if my childhood has been deprived of the pleasure all those years in the name of expediency.

My mom probably found it easier to spread the creamy kind, so made up some story that chunky is no good. Similar to the made up story that vanilla ice-cream is the best and only flavor worth having. I later figured out it was because it was easier to wash off than chocolate if I dripped it on my clothes. Mad

Posts: 2674 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
I love peanuts just about any way you want to serve them

re : what's represented as "boiled peanuts" in various roadside locations along I-10 from Loozianna to Florida. I tried them in 3 different spots, with 3 different kinds of presentation. None of them fit what I was prepared to swallow, and while I hesitate to believe they aren't some grand joke played on unsuspecting tourists, they certainly weren't up to the sales hype.

On the other hand, I believe the 'crunchy' and or 'chunky' peanut butter has been unchanged, at least Adams, for the 50 years I've been eating it exclusively, having changed from other brands.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9857 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
As per the smart people the peanut is not a nut but belongs to the "legume" family closely related to some of the bean family. But I don"t care because I like me some roasted and salted / boiled with cajun spices / the smooth spreadable is my favorites but could force myself to do chunky or crunchy. ................................... drill sgt.

We need to pass a law in LA to outlaw crab boil in boiled peanuts

Posts: 13029 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of foods along the Gulf coast are somewhat "customized." When I crave boiled peanuts, I go to a little greasy spoon downtown. They also have the best fried fish I've ever tasted.

Posts: 17178 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Love boiled peanuts and absolutely love Jif Super Crunchy

Posts: 3479 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JIF Super Crunch. Best peanut butter ever.

Posts: 421 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It may be years of dealing with military ration MRE peanut butter ( smooth ) but I hate smooth or creamy and always prefer crunchy

Posts: 3310 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I like crunchy, rest of the family likes creamy, guess what I usually have.....

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of the Hudge
posted Hide Post
Crunchy all the way.

Posts: 799 | Location: Inland Nortwest | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Crunchy, but hell, any Peanut Butter for me!!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
Crunchy for me.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9375 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiver:

I like crunchy, rest of the family likes creamy, guess what I usually have.
Two of us in the house (wife and me), two jars of peanut butter in the pantry.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30816 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Kroger Crunchy Peanut Butter is the crunchiest I've found yet and my personal favorite.

Posts: 10851 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post