SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Official NHL thread..
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Official NHL thread.. Login/Join 
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted
Don't know if there are many hockey fans here. It's the last sport I'll pay any attention to. Anyhow nearly half way into the season now with the all star game next weekend. I'll be seven miles out on a frozen lake next weekend hopefully putting walleye in a frying pan so I'll miss all the fun. Always loved the skills competition. I like how my Wild are playing they are different than all the past wild teams but as a long suffering Minnesota hockey fan my confidence in success is not easily given.

You guys in Florida must be brimming with confidence between the Panthers and Lightning!
Bring you're takes!

ETA: Not interested in hearing negative takes on whether the NHL is woke or not. we all know and realize any entity in the public eye is woke to one degree or another.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8627 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Although technically a "Florida" guy now, I'm from MA and I'm a huge Bruins fan! I can sit and watch any NHL game (thank you Center Ice package), the same can't be said for any other major sport.

Posts: 45 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: May 31, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hockey has always been my favorite sport to play and watch live. Not the best on tv but just a great sport. And the Blues finally won a cup in my lifetime. Go Blues!

Posts: 4010 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Let's go Caps!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21150 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Born and raised in Pittsburgh, definitely a Penguins fan. Can't stand any of the other pro sports, or the "fans" who worship them.

My dad worked at the Igloo, the Pittsburgh Civic Arena from the day it opened until when he passed in 1997. I played mostly baseball growing up, but played pee wee starting in 1974. Back then, there were 4 rinks in the entire metro Pittsburgh area, now there are multiple complexes with 4 (or more!) rinks in one building.

The deal I had was if I finished my homework, my dad would let me tag along when he went to work at the arena. When he was done working, we would watch the rest of the games together. Back then there were always plenty of empty seats for the Pens. So I grew up loving hockey, loving the Penguins and playing goalie. First Mario came and I've never seen anything like the way he owned the game. Glad I was able to share the first two Cup wins with my dad, it was something that we never imagined way back in the early 70's.

My social life these days is with my son, watching every Pens game and trying to get to a few each year.

The Wild are playing great this year, I think the Pens missed out in letting Bill Guerin go into that GM role. Great hire by the Wild.

Posts: 224 | Location: Western PA | Registered: March 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I like how my Wild are playing they are different than all the past wild teams but as a long suffering Minnesota hockey fan my confidence in success is not easily given.

It looks like your Wild and our Blues will duke it out the rest of the way for playoff positioning. The other will probably get a wildcard. It will be fun to watch.

Really enjoyed the Winter Classic!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24641 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The wild struggle with the Blues for whatever reason. I feel the Blues are the new Blackhawks when it comes to the Wild advancing in the playoffs.

I started dating a girl strictly because she lived right across the street from the old Met stadium where the Twins played and the Civic center was right next door where the North Stars played. We would walk across the street on nice evenings and watch the Twins. Her mom was a bartender in the stadium club which meant free beer. Same when the north Stars played. Walk across the street and be at the game.

That girl who I dated for strictly selfish reasons is now my wife for over 40 years! Big Grin

Posts: 8627 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
As a Flyers fan...they suck this year. The had Craig Berube as an interim head coach. He went to the Blues and won a cup.
Flyers cant catch a break.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3944 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
FLORIDA guy here too......The Great 8! Go Caps!

By the way, did you guys hear Henrik Lundqvist's farewell speech at the Garden? What style & class this man has!!!

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Loving how the Wild are playing this year! Suter (and to a lesser degree Parise) were a cancer in that locker room. The All Star game is typically when the team either falls apart or when they start playing well (getting our hopes up for the post season). Guess we'll see how this year goes.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
--Adam Savage, MythBusters

Posts: 1768 | Location: Red Wing, MN | Registered: January 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Avid Ducks fan.

Didn't renew my season tickets this year and my rep asked why. I politely told him I wasn't going to renew because the NHL went woke and BLM.

I continued by saying my family is LEO and when the BLM conversation starts with, "Shut up. Cops are wrong." I was tuning out any organization that catered to those beliefs.

He later stopped by my office and gave me Selanne and Kariya autographed pucks to renew. He gave me other autographed pucks too. Offered me free Kings/Ducks tickets more than once. I declined and said principles matter more than entertainment.

After about 2 months of trying to get me to return he called me from his cell and said he was calling me privately to say he thought the NHL went overboard and around the league they'd heard the same message and were dialing it back. I told the rep they'd forever lose me as a ticket holder if I ever saw a player take a knee for the national anthem.

I thanked him but said I wasn't renewing this year but would reconsider for the 22/23 season.

Attendance at Honda Center is down around 25% and they are desperate for fans. I still listen to the games and follow them but I'm not spending money on the team. I miss attending and hopefully the NHL sees that fans just want to see hockey and not be berated with BLM plastered in the arena or on uniforms.

That said, TBL looks good. NYI collapsed like no one could imagine, EDM is crap outside of their top line, LVK look like contenders, PHI is just bad, my Ducks have young talent but are at least a year away of going deep into the playoffs and Ovi is a machine.

Posts: 4254 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Avs are the hottest team in the NHL right now. But, they've been winning ugly lately. Their PP is okay, but their PK is horrible. Plus, if we're lifting a cup this year goal tending is going to have to be better.

Posts: 7651 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
Avs are the hottest team in the NHL right now. But, they've been winning ugly lately. Their PP is okay, but their PK is horrible. Plus, if we're lifting a cup this year goal tending is going to have to be better.

Yeah you're goal tending is the weak link for the Av's. We gave up on Darcy Kuemper here in Minnesota awhile ago and shipped him out. I've heard it rumored Marc Andre Fluery could wind up in you're net before the trade dead line.

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
<snip>
I started dating a girl strictly because she lived right across the street from the old Met stadium where the Twins played and the Civic center was right next door where the North Stars played.
<snip>

When I first moved to MN I lived on the I-494 frontage road in Richfield, just a bit NW of Met stadium where the Twins and Vikings played. The North Stars hadn’t yet arrived.

I was never a fan of the North Stars, but had season tickets for both editions of the Fighting Saints. They played in the St. Paul Civic Center.

I sure miss walleye – the freshwater equivalent of halibut. It’s offered at Red Tracton’s here in San Diego, but it’s poor – has been frozen.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9472 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
^^^

Try the Gulls. Big Grin

Oh, and Sportmen’s Seafood down at Mission Bay.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14160 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Giftedly Outspoken
Picture of sigarms229
posted Hide Post
Pens fan here, I try to make it to 2-3 games a year as I live a few hours from Pittsburgh. I hate the Flyers with a passion and I enjoy the misery they've suffered the past few years, well ok 47 years.

Flyers fans do have one thing going for them. Yesterday was the final bracket at Over The Boards Hockey's facebook page for: "Who has the most annoying NHL fan base?". The Flyers won it easily over the Bruins in a bracket scenario.

Congrats on a win Flyers fan's, we know you will carry this title with honor.

Sometimes, you gotta roll the hard six

Posts: 4583 | Location: SouthCentral PA | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost, but making
good time
posted Hide Post
Long suffering Flyers fan here. They’ve been ver6 hard to watch this year. Again.

At least I saw them win two cups, even if I was only 11 and 12 years old.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

Posts: 10460 | Location: St Augustine | Registered: March 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:

Yeah you're goal tending is the weak link for the Av's. We gave up on Darcy Kuemper here in Minnesota awhile ago and shipped him out. I've heard it rumored Marc Andre Fluery could wind up in you're net before the trade dead line.

Fluery sure did stone us in the second round last year. The Avs have never drafted and developed a starting NHL goal tender. Justus Annunen just might be the exception. Time will tell. I think even with Makar the blue line needs more depth. Gerard is a good D man but his size makes him easy to exploit. Eric Johnson is in twilight. Byram looks like he's going to lose the entire season to concussion protocol. Now it seems the Avs have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to forwards, but the first line players have difficultly producing playing on different lines. Which makes it easier for good teams to match up. Solving this problem is the key to future Cups. If you remember on our Cup teams Sakic and Forsberg both had multiple 100 point seasons mostly skating on different lines.

Posts: 7651 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember those Av's from 20+ years ago. Sakic, Forsberg, Roy, Drury, Blake,Foote, Lemieux - heck - you guys even had Bourque for a couple of years.

Fun watching that conference rivalry with Detroit.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post