SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Brandeis University and its odd take on language.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brandeis University and its odd take on language. Login/Join 
half-genius,
half-wit
posted
This is a snippet from the UK-based apolitical weekly magazine called 'The Week'. It freely lambasts any and all political viewpoints and is, by all accounts, widely regarded as being completely unbiased. For any more information, if required, check out the website - theweekuk.com

Anyhow, this little snippet is from the issue that came out on 3 July, and it caught my eye because of the sheer lunacy of it.

If anybody is offended, please cut me some slack, I love the USA dearly, and some of the best times in my life have been spent there, with some of my dearest friends. I feel for you when things go bad, and rejoice with you when they go well.

But, friends, stuff like this is not helping you at all when it's published in a furrin rag...

Quote verbatim - 'A university in the US has produced an Oppressive Language List, in an effort to make its campus more inclusive.

The words and phrases deemed best avoided by faculty members and students at Brandeis University include 'picnic', 'because picnics have been associated with lynchings in the US'; 'take a stab at' or 'take a shot at', to mean try, because 'these expressions needlessly use imagery of hurting someone', and also 'trigger warning', because the term (a warning of offensive or upsetting content) could be associated with guns.

Commenting on the list, the writer Joyce Carol Oates noted that is was odd that the word 'picnic' was deemed problematical because it might invoke lynchings, yet the word 'lynching' was not. End quote.

You'd really be hard-pressed to make this stuff up.

Posts: 11321 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is a trend that will hopefully end soon. I agree it is absurd. Is this sort of language censorship totally absent in the UK?

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
We're gonna need a trigger warning for the trigger warnings apparently.

I haven't seen the list, but it sure doesn't surprise me at all.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
The focus is a little different, but there is nothing new about this in the most liberal colleges (of which Brandeis is one).

I have a friend who went to Smith (another of the super-liberal colleges) in the late 90s/early 2000s, and she said that the cafeteria served "chicken fronts" because calling them "chicken breasts" was sexist or something.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
The leftists here have gone far beyond anything that makes a bit of sense.
They've ventured into the realms of insanity.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16514 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Just another attention-slut-whore that wants to be heard, read, adored and praised by the leftists.

Posts: 11840 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just further proof that US "education" has fell into the woke / leftist crapper.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I recently told one of my alma maters that if they could afford a VICE PRESIDENT FOR DIVERSITY then they didn't need any more money from me.

Christ, where is that asteroid?

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WaterburyBob:

"Ventured into?!?!" Hell, they've fully immersed themselves, heart and soul.

(Btw: Thank you for referring to these loonies as "leftists," rather than "liberals.")

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
"Ventured into"? That ship sailed long ago.

(Sorry, ensigmatic. Didn't see you'd said the same thing before I did. Still true.)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So, no more Yogi bear

Posts: 1403 | Registered: November 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

One of the (many) problems with the ultra-leftist/woke movement is that it doesn't have any defined end game. Its adherents appear to believe that policies like this will produce a world devoid of suffering and inequality -- a utopia, by any definition -- if only we keep progressing further to the left. It's unworkable for a number of reasons, including that human beings have a fundamental nature and prefer free will to subjugation.

Posts: 995 | Location: Tampa | Registered: July 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
You'd really be hard-pressed to make this stuff up.
What do you want. The majority of the faculty at these colleges are fully retarded at this point. It's the reason why businesses interview dozens of applicants for entry level positions without finding even one remotely qualified. Retards producing emotionally defective, illiterate, morons.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
It is a trend that will hopefully end soon. I agree it is absurd. Is this sort of language censorship totally absent in the UK?

Well, TBH, you are talking to somebody who got banned off a gun-related forum when the subject of 'unwelcome words in modern English' came up. Over here in UK a very famous and historical brand of fruit jam and marmalade, Robinsons, with a history going way back in the the early 1900's, was made to remove their 'Golliwog' logo from their branding, as is was felt offensive to a certain segment of the population. I wrote 'golliwog' a few times, just to make the point, and was instantly 'banned for ever'.

Here y'are -

Special report: race issues in the UK
Owen Bowcott
@owenbowcott
Thu 23 Aug 2001 17.00 BST
The little black golly is finally disappearing from Robertson's jam labels after 91 years as a marmalade mascot and decades of controversy over whether it perpetuates racist stereotypes.

Recognising the image no longer has a marketing resonance for a younger generation, the company - now owned by food conglomerate Rank Hovis MacDougall - announced yesterday it would be replaced by more contemporary characters from the children's novels of Roald Dahl.

Called a golliwog when it appeared on Robertson's jars in 1910, the figure became a target for anti-racist campaigners in the 1980s who said it was an insulting and degrading depiction of black people.

But Ginny Knox, the firm's brand director, insisted yesterday the change was "part of a broader initiative to contemporise [Robertson's] and make it appeal to modern families with children. Our research found the character is no longer well known."

Ms Knox added: "We receive around 10 letters a year from people who object to the character. That compares to 45m jars of jam and mincemeat sold annually."

Go figure.

Posts: 11321 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thanks for taking the time to respond. Uncle Ben's Rice is now Bens rice, I am not sure what was done with Aunt Jemima. Changing words does not change attitudes or beliefs.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
I guess that we'll never see or hear anything from Al Jolson anymore?

You remember him? The Jewish guy who dressed up in blackface and sang 'minstrel' songs?

Here in UK back in the 60's we had a very popular TV show called the 'Black and white Minstrel Show'...

Part of history now.

Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Even Rod Serling is going “WTF”.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
Brandeis is trying to out woke all the left coast schools and Harvard. The school used to be a fairly conservative business school now it’s an SJW Mecca.

Posts: 2774 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It's a logical progression from the ridiculous point where all this began, though it seems wrong to use the word 'logical' when referring to these idiots.

They're simply continuing along the same trajectory as they continue to add to their inexhaustible list. It takes time, you see, to figure out what offends them and what are such abominations and blasphemies in the English language, that they must be condemned and purged from not ony all speech and writing, but all thought as well.

If you want to know what I think- well, eventually, these loons will come to an absolutely absurd point with their endless rules and directives, passed which virtually no sane person would go. They will come to a point where they have to reach so far to try to justify their preposterous crap, that people will say "nope". When we get to that, well, they can't go any further (athough they will try to because, hey, they're fuckin' nuts) and then the pendulum may begin to swing back towards sanity.

Posts: 107576 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spunk639:
Brandeis is trying to out woke all the left coast schools and Harvard. The school used to be a fairly conservative business school now it’s an SJW Mecca.

New England is the market leader in leftist indoctrination centers. I remember driving through Vermont & Mass, I think every town had a college with a hefty endowment and a heavily-Left student body and admin.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post