SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gas Masks 101?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gas Masks 101? Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
First thing, I live in Argentina.
Smack in the middle of a posh neighborhood stuffed with elderly people at risk.
Food stores are few so everybody converges to the same points for supplies.

Government has BANNED the use of N95 masks and other garnments in short supply for the frontliners.

The first virus carriers landed or were taken to the clinics and hospitals closest to us.

She´s one of the At Risk people so that leaves me as the hunter/gatherer.

I wonder if and which Gas Mask or protection would be proper and available localy and what type filters do I need, how long they last, etc.

Looking for reasonable, available, permanent solution. Or am I missing the point entirely?

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12128 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
You don't want a "gas" mask, you want a particulate filter, although some masks incorporate both types of filters.

Vapor filters use activated charcoal to soak up toxic gases. To stop viruses you need a particulate filter that uses a fine mesh to trap small particles.

Commonly available respirator masks piggyback a 95 or better particulate filter on a vapor cartridge (in general, the cartridge is replaced far less frequently than the filters).

I don't know if the law would prevent you from using a full respirator with N95 filters. You'll have to check. A gas mask only would not protect you from the coronavirus.

This is my 3M P95 respirator. You can see the white filters on the outside of the vapor cartridges.

Mask - 1 by kpkina, on Flickr

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16376 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Unless you're working in a ward with COVID patients, then keep your distance from others, and wash your hands.

The use of respirators is unnecessary unless you're working closely with those who are sick or who are carriers of the virus. It's not like the virus is floating around on the breeze waiting for you to pick it up. It isn't absorbed through skin.

If those in public wear any kind of mask to prevent transmitting droplets of moisture, it will go a long way toward preventing transmission of the virus. The mask isn't to protect you. It's to protect others from you.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
no matter how you slice it you want a particulate filter. If the law lets get it in full face mask form (meaning a cartridge) then go for it. The ones you want are N95 or better (P95, P100, etc.).

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11008 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
You don't want a "gas" mask, you want a particulate filter, although some masks incorporate both types of filters.

Vapor filters use activated charcoal to soak up toxic gases. To stop viruses you need a particulate filter that uses a fine mesh to trap small particles.

Commonly available respirator masks piggyback a 95 or better particulate filter on a vapor cartridge (in general, the cartridge is replaced far less frequently than the filters).

I don't know if the law would prevent you from using a full respirator with N95 filters. You'll have to check. A gas mask only would not protect you from the coronavirus.

This is my 3M P95 respirator. You can see the white filters on the outside of the vapor cartridges.

Mask - 1 by kpkina, on Flickr

I have a family member who is a first responder and they are wearing the same respirator that Kina has on ambulance calls.

Posts: 2714 | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
At 11:59 tonight it will be an order in my county to wear a mask when going to an essential business, on public transportation, and some other situations. Non-compliance is punishable by fine, imprisonment, or both.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16376 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
A few days ago, a study demonstrated that the coronavirus can travel 13 feet through the air. Before anyone panics, that still leaves a lot of doubt over whether aerosolized vector is a real concern.

SARS-CoV-2 was detected 13 feet from infected patients. Virus-laden droplets, being much heavier than individual virus particles, have an airborne range of less than 6 feet. Therefore the transmission must have been individually aerosolized to some degree.

What is unknown is whether this is a significant mode of infection. Questions of frequency and viral load become important. None of the hospital staff where the study was conducted came down with COVID-19.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Those thinking of rocking a cool respirator like mine, or even one that's cooler...here's the problem. These things are one-way. They filter on intake, but the exhaust is not filtered what-so-ever. So it's primeaux protection for yourself, but no help to those around you.

See that center disc with the 3M logo...that's the unfiltered exhaust port.

Mask - 3 by kpkina, on Flickr

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I cut a 3" circle of cloth from an old T-shirt, and slipped it over the exhaust port. The port just so happens to have a little ridge around the perimeter, enough to secure the makeshift filter piece with a simple rubber-band.

This achieves the same amount of collateral protection as a home-made cotton cloth mask. In fact, it's actually much better as the mask eliminates side leakage. The filter is easily washed, or just keep cutting up T-shirts. (I could also make up some HEPA grade filters using HVAC filters; that'll be the next step.)

Mask - 2 by kpkina, on Flickr

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Yup, see all those people out there with N95 masks on that have breathing valves?

N95 on the inhale, N00+ on the exhale. The + is because the exhale is now sent out at a higher velocity and at a more outward velocity than just breathing normally through their nose.

Bad for everyone and all the surfaces around them.

Posts: 13050 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If anyone here knows where I can find some of these and or point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. Im trying to get some for me and my coworkers who work in a hospital performing bronchoscopies on Covid patients.

Posts: 465 | Location: Space City | Registered: October 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
The Ultimate Guide to Homemade Face Masks for Coronavirus

Published today. Lots of pics and graphs so best to go to the link (and not huffpo who reblogged it).

Make your own. Wearing a gas mask will only draw attention to yourself and "what else might he have?"

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5647 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by unarmed:
If anyone here knows where I can find some of these and or point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. Im trying to get some for me and my coworkers who work in a hospital performing bronchoscopies on Covid patients.

One of our members here had a friend who had some, but the time I contacted him he was sold out. We got lucky and my wife's uncle sent us 10 N95 masks. My wife is a PA and still seeing emergent patients, so thank the Lord for her uncle.

If I see any for sale anywhere I will send you a message.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3644 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
A few days ago, a study demonstrated that the coronavirus can travel 13 feet through the air. Before anyone panics, that still leaves a lot of doubt over whether aerosolized vector is a real concern.

SARS-CoV-2 was detected 13 feet from infected patients. Virus-laden droplets, being much heavier than individual virus particles, have an airborne range of less than 6 feet. Therefore the transmission must have been individually aerosolized to some degree.

What is unknown is whether this is a significant mode of infection. Questions of frequency and viral load become important. None of the hospital staff where the study was conducted came down with COVID-19.

Your link is to an article, which doesn't link to the study, but to another article that just summarizes the study. The actual article is an early release Link that has yet to be peer reviewed. It's also from the CDC's publication. The same CDC that botched the production of their Covid assay, told us "you don't need masks" only to change their mind a week later and generally should not be given any credence in this outbreak.

I've yet to see a reviewed article confirming aerosol of the virus.

Nor an article on the effectiveness of a mask in preventing spread. Rather just the opposite has been shown in a peer reviewed article. Study

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't forget to get a medical eval and fit test before wearing a respirator.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ubelongoutside:

Your link is to an article, which doesn't link to the study, but to another article that just summarizes the study. The actual article is an early release Link that has yet to be peer reviewed. It's also from the CDC's publication. The same CDC that botched the production of their Covid assay, told us "you don't need masks" only to change their mind a week later and generally should not be given any credence in this outbreak.

I've yet to see a reviewed article confirming aerosol of the virus.

Nor an article on the effectiveness of a mask in preventing spread. Rather just the opposite has been shown in a peer reviewed article. Study

It was my intention just to link the article. I agree that this "study" should not be given too much creedence as yet. Anyone saying 13 feet is the new 6 feet is really jumping the gun.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I use a mask when I go out, solely to prevent my touching my face. Back in the truck, hand sanitizer to the max after the mask is off.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10789 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

I use a mask when I go out, solely to prevent my touching my face. Back in the truck, hand sanitizer to the max after the mask is off.

Same here, soon as I step foot out of my truck to go anywhere my face starts itching like crazy, its all in my head I'm sure. The mask just helps me not touch my noggin.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3644 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post