SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Crummy day yesterday. Had to put down our pup.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crummy day yesterday. Had to put down our pup. Login/Join 
Picture of Mikus36
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss. I also had to put down my dog of 13 years last month. Of the 8 dogs we have had, this on was different. My vet called him a "Heart"dog. He was special. I miss him every day and its going to hurt for a long time. Sounds like you had a good run and enjoyed every moment. Dogs can teach us many lessons, some are hard.

"It's a Bill of Rights - Not a Bill of Needs"
The World is a combustible Place

Posts: 358 | Location: Washington | Registered: April 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Have total sympathy for you…..it’s one of the hardest things to do. You gave her the best life though, and she knew she was loved. It always sucks having to do this, and never gets easy. At least she is no longer in pain and suffering, and you were there with her. That’s all they want, is to be with their loved family. Hang in there, remember all the good times. You did the right thing.

Posts: 1148 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I understand what you mean about them being in pain. But 17 years is a long life spent with you. My dogs are 9 years old and one of them was in that kind of pain that she peed from the pain. Turns out she had back pain. Fortunately, she’s well now and back to prancing but she’s still on daily Meloxidyl.

That reminded me to prepare for their going away. In one respect, we “gain” the freedom of not being tied down with two dogs and we can come and go as we please. On the other hand, what can you say about two dogs whose only purpose is to live for my enjoyment and pleasure? Even in their daily routine of eat, shit, and sleep they’re always ready to come when you call.

I decided even from the start no life extending surgeries for them. That would be cruel punishment for living their lives for your pleasure.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20011 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
CAPT Obvious
Picture of Spiff_P239
posted Hide Post
So sorry to hear of your loss. It’s clear to see that she was very well loved.

Posts: 3534 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
So sorry for the loss of your pup.. 17 years was a good length of time... Am sure our Harley was there on the other side of the Rainbow Bridge to greet your Cheyenne...................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2078 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I am so very sorry for your loss. Frown

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36897 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry.

Posts: 4816 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
Sorry for your loss. I’m sure Cheyenne knew she was THE bestest doggie…EVER!

Retired Texas Lawman

Posts: 1215 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have always loved dogs but didn't have any until I met my future wife 36 years ago. She had two dogs at that time. We have always had at least two dogs since then, at one point, 4.

Over the years, we have had to put down 5 dogs. We are very diligent with health care for our dogs and have been fortunate to partner with our vet with regular check ups, vaccinations, etc.

Recently one of our dogs came down with some sort of immune deficiency and developed some sort of brain lesions. She couldn't walk, her head would sway side to side, etc. She is only 7 years old. I thought we were going to have to put her down. We ended up spending about $8,000 in vet bills and I am happy to say she is nearly fine now. I say "nearly" because we have to be careful with future immunizations, being around other dogs, etc. because she still has this immune problem. However, heavy doses of steroids have returned her back to normal behavior wise, and we are starting to taper her off the steroids and hopefully she will be fine without them (as you know, steroids have bad side effects over the long term). The dog seems happy and plays like she always has. A bullet was dodged here. FYI, for those of you who are curious, the bulk of the expense for this condition was an MRI of her brain, together with a spinal tap. Those two things together were $4,200.

Anyway, the only cure I have found for losing a dog is to get another one.

Posts: 947 | Location: Glendale, AZ | Registered: February 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
We are very sorry to for your loss. We have been there several times. Always with them to the end.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8363 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
It’s the hardest thing I have had to do. My condolences to you and your family.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4888 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
I am sorry for your loss, 92fstech.

Posts: 8871 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First of all, my heartfelt condolences. We had to put down our dog back in February, he was my wife's dog before we met, but he quickly became very attached to me. It was the first pet I'd ever had to put down as well. and was a mess for a solid week.

Posts: 1186 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post