SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Major flooding in China; Update 9-22-2020
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Major flooding in China; Update 9-22-2020 Login/Join 
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

Those numbers are almost impossible to comprehend. 400m people at risk. I wonder what is meant by that? Death, loss of property? An event like that even if it's just loss of property would rank up there with the greatest cataclysms ever to face man kind.

Like the Johnstown Flood of 1889, but multiplied by magnitudes of hundreds of thousands. David McCullough's description of that tragic event was horrifying. The scale of destruction and death that seems likely should that dam fail would make the Johnstown Flood look like an overflowing bathtub.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
So they keep saying 400m people live below the dam, but I would imagine that 400m just means the dwellings that could be impacted, right?

Not everyone works where they live, and I would imagine the cities that are downstream include a host of people that commute into the flood zone for hours or days at a time.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the numbers related to the water discharge.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9158 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's a lot of water Eek

I remember watching shows on the Three Gorges Dam a handful of years ago about its construction. The size of that project was hard to grasp on a TV. To think that it may fail is even harder for me to grasp.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18Z50: The consensus is the complete and sudden failure of this dam complex discussion would be the single largest loss of life in human history at one time and would have a greater impact globally in setting back the advancement of mankind since the plagues and the resulting the dark ages.

We live in interesting time.

18Z50

No offense, but that's BS. There's no way that could cause "the dark ages". Y'all may have a model which shows that, but its crap. Most models used to show that bumblebees couldn't fly.

It would be a horrible loss of life, but not world ending.

Posts: 5738 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The flood might be so biblical it wipes out their communist government. Biblical proportions.

What little tv news I watch, haven’t seen this mentioned. As always, I like getting the straight scoop on this forum.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 18Z50:
The consensus is the complete and sudden failure of this dam complex discussion would be the single largest loss of life in human history at one time and would have a greater impact globally in setting back the advancement of mankind since the plagues and the resulting the dark ages.
Not a chance in hell.

Maybe dark ages for China, but not the rest of the world.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
The flood might be so biblical it wipes out their communist government. Biblical proportions.
Cut it out and I mean right now. Take your bible and put it away. Keep your comments about the Chinese government out of this thread. If you want to talk out of your ass, do so elsewhere, in some other forum.

Stop with the Jesus-is-gonna-get-you crap. Stop with the end-of-the-world predictions. Stop trying to tie the dire circumstances of these unfortunate people to our dislike of the Chinese government.

If I have to address this again, I'm going to start handing out suspensions.

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Veeper:
So they keep saying 400m people live below the dam, but I would imagine that 400m just means the dwellings that could be impacted, right?

Not everyone works where they live, and I would imagine the cities that are downstream include a host of people that commute into the flood zone for hours or days at a time.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the numbers related to the water discharge.

The people impacted are just that, they will feel the effects should something go wrong. Downstream, obviously is the overall increase in water, whole communities going under, farmer's fields getting swamped, outlaying communities seeing their own tributaries back up resulting in their own in-direct issues. Upstream, may also feel the effects of landslides due to change in water pressure that end up creating barriers/natural dams resulting in water getting diverted towards directions that wasn't originally intended. Further downstream, a city like Shanghai would see flooding like you see in New Orleans and other coastal communities as all the water discharges into the ocean; bridges might get closed, public transit stops, food/produce deliveries are delayed/halted; all can have an effect and impact. The Yangtze I believe is in the top-5 highest water volume when compared to other worldwide river systems.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MattW:
The size of that project was hard to grasp on a TV. To think that it may fail is even harder for me to grasp.

I've been to TGD. It's on a scale that is hard to comprehend when it's 3 feet in front of you.

As for the dam, if it catastrophically fails, two major population centers plus something like 25% of the domestic supply of rice and fresh veggies comes from the area downstream of the TGD will be wiped out. Reports of a catastrophe killing several million Chinese are not to be dismissed out of hand. I could see a dam-draining catastrophe killing over 10 million people.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be prepared for loud noise and recoil
Picture of sigalert
posted Hide Post
Are they in monsoon season? Or is it later in the summer?

“Crisis is the rallying cry of the tyrant.” – James Madison

"Keep your fears to yourself, but share your courage with others." - Robert Louis Stevenson

Posts: 3620 | Location: Middle Tennessee  | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigalert:
Are they in monsoon season? Or is it later in the summer?

Smack in the middle of it. The monsoon rainy season for the Yangtze River basin runs June - August.

Posts: 32508 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know if those homes and businesses are insured in any way? Does China even have insurance companies as we know them in Western culture? Or are people just SOL with the loss?

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanner:
Does anyone know if those homes and businesses are insured in any way? Does China even have insurance companies as we know them in Western culture? Or are people just SOL with the loss?

Outside of the major cities, life in China turns rural-primitive rather quickly.
I highly doubt anything resembling "insurance" exists.
Even in the US - unless you have a flood insurance rider (many don't) you are SOL.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4577 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Experts can't even agree on the largest rivers in the world. Do you measure area drained, length, volume of water held, average discharge etc.

It looks like the Yangtze is almost double in size of the Mississippi in both length and average discharge.

I saw while googling for real time water level readings that now some eastern sections of the river have peaked and are receding a bit.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Holy Toledo! Re: The 2nd video: "Satellite imaging issue" and "a few millimeters" my ass!

"Independent concrete blocks?" "Not [anchored] to the bedrock below?" My Lord. Are they insane?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Maybe dark ages for China, but not the rest of the world.

It might wash Wuhan into Shanghai, but it would still leave a number of major population centers (including Beijing) untouched. I'm not sure where they get their numbers (and have none to offer in the alternative), but I'd just about bet that they expect disruption to agriculture to cause far more casualties than drowning or the physical impact of the water.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanner:

Insurance is available, business owners will have coverage for their businesses and properties. Not unusual for factories, plants, mills, and distributions centers to mysteriously go up in flames, only to later find out the business was in the toilet, had fallen out of favor of the local officials, behind on gambling debts, needed more money for a dowery, etc..

The general populace view insurance as a scam and not as risk mitigation, seeing it as a way for other people to get your money while getting nothing back in return. Insurance companies are like an oligarchy in China, as there's just a small handful of major companies providing policies, each one controlling certain markets...auto, business, home, life, etc.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, though, but if 100,000,000 people all filed claims, wouldn't that bankrupt the insurance industry there and make it all useless? Insurance is based on paying a few claimants while taking the money from many policy holders. In the event of a cataclysm of this nature, there wouldn't be nearly enough money to settle claims.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:

Like the Johnstown Flood of 1889, but multiplied by magnitudes of hundreds of thousands. David McCullough's description of that tragic event was horrifying. The scale of destruction and death that seems likely should that dam fail would make the Johnstown Flood look like an overflowing bathtub.

I was thinking that too. It's been a while since I read the book, but McCullough did a powerful job describing what it was like when all that water and debris slammed into Johnstown.

My other thought is whether there's been any effort to evacuate folks - at least those closest to the river. Of course, I can't imagine what it would take to move even a fraction of the number of people who live there. I do hope the dam holds.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6403 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I have a question. The damn was completed in 2006. All of that population / settlements and cities didn’t just happen in the last 15-16 years. So before the damn was in place how did the water run? Now I realize a catastrophic failure of a damn releases a fist of God level of power but before the damn how did these settlements flourish?

I am speaking 100% out of ignorance here so feel free to explain and call me a dumbass.

I have always said at the end of the day the VAST majority of humans are damn near identical people who want to live their lives, make a few bucks, provide for their family and be left the hell alone and it’s always horrible that those folks always pay the price of the few idiots and assholes. I pray those poor folks never experience a damn failure.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post