SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Major flooding in China; Update 9-22-2020
Page 1 ... 10 11 12 13
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Major flooding in China; Update 9-22-2020 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12682 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
Today 75,000, a new record. Also this

https://www.ft.com/tour.
https://www.ft.com/content/58e...27-887a-e50afa934b92

As of Wednesday, the floods had displaced 490,000 people in Sichuan, damaged 165,000 hectares of cropland, destroyed 2,155 buildings and caused Rmb16.4bn ($2.37bn) in direct economic losses, according to statistics from the official national disaster database.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
Dang wcb, that video was difficult to watch. Very hard to comprehend the magnitude of that catastrophe.

Posts: 7553 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
9-1-2020

posted Hide Post
September 11th 2020

10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Since the 3G damn hasn't burst, can it at least be said to have reduced the extent of the flooding?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Damn, I helped start up a new plant in Liuzhou, Guangxi several years ago, and have friends there. Also a really good friend in Chengdu, Sichuan, and I'm currently working on a new plant in Chongqing, Sichuan.

Posts: 4720 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Liuzhou friend says it's raining and river is high but no flooding.

Chengdu friend says it's OK now, but government will have to step in a to help fix things. The humanitarian relief agency she works for can't do much. They help kids after disasters building schools and libraries and such.

Posts: 4720 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Severe flooding causes landslides in Sichuan, China

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The 10,000 year Chinese calendar doesn't start when our does.
Even so, this thing lasted about 6000 years less than they said it would.

Posts: 9514 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post