SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Massachusetts lawmakers came up with an egg-cellant plan
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Massachusetts lawmakers came up with an egg-cellant plan Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
C'mon - if it's for the greater good of the chickens............

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
I'm getting between 8 and 12 eggs a day from my hens. Wish I lived closer to MA.

What am I thinking, no way I want to live closer to MA.

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Was this a law from the lawmakers as the thread title suggests, or was it a referendum style law? If the latter, my sympathy registers even lower on the don’t give a crap meter. I love it when leftism bites a direct hole in its collective asses

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigcrazy7:
Was this a law from the lawmakers as the thread title suggests, or was it a referendum style law? If the latter, my sympathy registers even lower on the don’t give a crap meter. I love it when leftism bites a direct hole in its collective asses
Based on this:
quote:
In 2016, Massachusetts voters overwhelmingly passed an animal treatment measure that, in part, made it illegal to sell eggs born of hens with less than 1.5 square feet of floor space in their enclosure.
I'd guess the voters did this to themselves. So yeah, there's that. Roll Eyes

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6215 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
If it saves just one chicken ...

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16522 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
CLM

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
As someone else mentioned, as of 2022 all chicken eggs sold in CA must come from "cage free" chickens. Several years ago the "half step" was requiring 1 cubic feet per bird.

Like most things, the law is written poorly and there are ways to mitigate it. As such, the cries of "eggs are over in CA" haven't materialized, though prices, of course, went up someone. They'll go up more soon enough due to the new requirements, but everybody will blame inflation.

We get what we vote for. These retarded laws in CA were voted on directly by the people, so nobody to blame but us.

I'll continue to buy my eggs from my friend who has chickens in their yard and CA can continue to go to hell.

Posts: 6368 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can see it now. A unmarked van in a Supermarket parking lot. A lady walks by with a scowl on her face. A guy standing next to the van says. “Hey lady want to buy some eggs,only $10.00 a dozen.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And if you feel threatened, intimidated or just uncomfortable around egg owners, report them!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16098 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by frayedends:
I’m coming to NH for my pork and eggs and I dare you bastards to try and stop me. Big Grin we didn’t all vote for this crap.
That may be, but if the supply of eggs is cut off, there may be more not voting for the crap next time. Wink

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
In 2016, Massachusetts voters overwhelmingly passed an animal treatment measure that, in part, made it illegal to sell eggs born of hens with less than 1.5 square feet of floor space in their enclosure.

This is the new method for special interest groups to go around legislatures, in FL it's the "constitutional amendment" vote.

Never is the item you're voting on explained in such a way that you understand what the hell you're voting on, and if a yea, or nea is really what you should have voted...

I'd like to propose a constitutional (FL) amendment that eliminates the ability to propose constitutional amendments...

Posts: 23461 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is 1.5 square feet that much space for one bird? Seems really tight already - not sure how most farms wouldn't be able to comply with perhaps a little creativity.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
Is 1.5 square feet that much space for one bird? Seems really tight already - not sure how most farms wouldn't be able to comply with perhaps a little creativity.

Probably because the cages are already smaller. Plus you re talking about increasing the space by 50%. I’m all in favor of bigger space for the birds. I already buy cage free eggs for a premium price. But the legislation is not good. I think the hurt will be temporary as some farms will be built just to sell here. Just like some gun makers jump through hoops to make compliant guns for us. They will be more expensive but eggs are dirt cheap. I don’t mind paying $5/dozen.

But again, the idiots shouldn’t have voted this in. If they want better animal welfare then buy the expensive eggs.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12439 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
Here comes teh straw purchases......

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
We really need to build that wall on the Southern border of New Hampshire.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2388 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post