SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Video playback issue using Firefox, Win 10 Pro
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Video playback issue using Firefox, Win 10 Pro Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
Win 10 Professional 64 bit, build 1803. Intel Core i7 8550U. 32 GB RAM. Firefox Quantum browser v63.0.3

On Showtime's site, video plays smoothly, no hitches or glitches when using Firefox. HBO's site, however, uses Adobe Flash, so I installed Flash Player 31 NPAPI (this is a brand new laptop).

Video will launch and play, but every 30 or 40 seconds, the video image halts, freezes on the screen, then the audio will loop back and replay about the last 4 or 5 seconds of audio, then the video picks up approximately where it left off. This looping, of course, makes video essentially unwatchable.

Using Chrome, video on HBO's site runs smoothly with no issues. I tried turning off hardware acceleration in Firefox but this has no effect on the issue.

Any ideas? Firefox is my preferred browser.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107745 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
For science I loaded Firefox (has never existed on my machine) on mine (Windows 10 1803), then installed Flash 31.0.0.148, went to HBO GO (is that the same?) and was able to watch video without any interruption. My machine is an older home built desktop 4790K i7, 16gb ram. It's hard wired to the router.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2272 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
While the easy method is just to switch browsers you might look at MS Media Feature Pack .
Can't say for sure that it will fix it as is more than likely a compatibility issue with aging Flash and newer browsers.
Different browsers may handle it differently but maybe the DL will help.
Good Luck

Posts: 22947 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Curious, do you have the DRM option switched on enabling HTML5 with Content Decryption Module (CDM)? HBO using different modes for its different site (like HBO Now).

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16255 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
Is hardware acceleration enabled or disabled on your Firefox?

Options, general, performance

Depending on which yours is set to. Try the opposite.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1288 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pbramlett:
Is hardware acceleration enabled or disabled on your Firefox?
It was on by default when I discovered the issue. I disabled hardware acceleration but the issue persists.
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Curious, do you have the DRM option switched on enabling HTML5 with Content Decryption Module (CDM)? HBO using different modes for its different site (like HBO Now).
Excellent suggestion. I disabled DRM and tried playing video, but the issue persists.

Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
What type of video graphics onboard does your laptop have? Intel, nvidia, etc?

How old is the video driver?

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1288 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
AMD Radeon 530, driver date 10/26/2017

Intel UHD 620, driver date 2/28/2018

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Para,

You said you're using Shockwave Flash legacy NPAPI versus NPSWF. That may very well be the problem. Dunno. Only way to check is to D/L Adobe's Flash remover https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-...-player-windows.html and then reinstall the correct flavor in the current version 31.0.0.148.

Not sure what else to suggest. I did find others complaining about the same issues in various forums. Some found Firefox ESR to work when Quantum didn't. Others found differences when using full screen versus partial for video play.

I've been a Netscape/Firefox user since day one. But I find I prefer Waterfox to Firefox although I keep current copies of both available for use. Each maintains different folder profiles too. I don't have HBO but have found no problems with any videos or movies I view with Waterfox. I'm using \Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF64_31_0_0_148.dll and \Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash\NPSWF32_31_0_0_148.dll

Settings Flash: always ask; DRM ON; Hardware acceleration ON; Multiprocess ON

================================================
Current release version info https://blog.waterfoxproject.o...2.5-release-download

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16255 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post