SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Moving to Dallas Metro area
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Moving to Dallas Metro area Login/Join 
Picture of spdski
posted
The family and I are transferring to the Dallas area. It's an area we hope will be our home for some time, as this transfer puts me in a work position where I can promote/transfer without necessarily moving.

I know there are a bunch of members in the Metroplex, so I figured I would add y'all to our information pool as we work towards picking an area and house.

We'd like to be within about 50 mins of Grand Prairie, as that will be my office location (but I likely will only be driving in a couple of times per week).

Looking for the type of place where we can get a couple of acres, a decent house, and have our young kids grow up more in the country life. Would love it if the area had a volunteer fire department (I know this is unfortunately rarer and rarer).

Of course, good community and shooting opportunities are desired.

I'm excited as heck to be back in Texas! I've lived in Austin, Houston, and deep SETX, and it just keeps drawing me back.

Posts: 1273 | Location: Waxahachie, TX | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Congrats to you and your family.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19247 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Allen is nice and you can get 2 acre lots, but I think that's a bit far.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10940 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Welcome to Texas!

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11308 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Welcome back. For what you are looking for as far as anchorage, small town feel an somewhat close to Grand Prairie with reasonable schools would be the Waxahachie area. 40~ miles south east of Grand Prairie. A bit further than I'd care to drive daily but if it's only a few times a week that could be doable. There's a few sections directly east of Grand Prairie that might fit but I have nothing little info on those. West and north would put you into the heart of the Metropex, but maybe a patch or two that has what you desire.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
I agree...south of Grand Prairie is were you want to look. You most certainly don't want to be in GP, Arlington or Irving. They've all gone down hill substantially...I say this as a citizen of Irving. If it were me I'd try to find a couple of acres south and build a custom home but finding land might be difficult.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1907 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Checkout the Maypearl Venus Midlothian Waxahachie area of the map

Posts: 578 | Location: East Texas | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spdski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NavyGuy:
Welcome back. For what you are looking for as far as anchorage, small town feel an somewhat close to Grand Prairie with reasonable schools would be the Waxahachie area. 40~ miles south east of Grand Prairie. A bit further than I'd care to drive daily but if it's only a few times a week that could be doable. There's a few sections directly east of Grand Prairie that might fit but I have nothing little info on those. West and north would put you into the heart of the Metropex, but maybe a patch or two that has what you desire.

Thanks. Just in terms of Zillow hunting, we've noticed we like a lot of the stuff that way. 40 miles 2 or 3 times a week isn't a deal killer for us.

As you mentioned, all the other options, East, West, and North all involve crossing through town... and I've heard that's painful.

A bonus to the South side -- the Waxahachie/Midlothian type area -- my sister is living in Austin. So that would put us closer to family.

quote:
Originally posted by will347wax:
Checkout the Maypearl Venus Midlothian Waxahachie area of the map

Thanks, that's what we were leaning towards. Glad to have confirmation of our instincts. Seems like Maypearl would be my dream setting, but I'm not seeing houses there quite as frequently.

Posts: 1273 | Location: Waxahachie, TX | Registered: October 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spdski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by texassierra:
I agree...south of Grand Prairie is were you want to look. You most certainly don't want to be in GP, Arlington or Irving. They've all gone down hill substantially...I say this as a citizen of Irving. If it were me I'd try to find a couple of acres south and build a custom home but finding land might be difficult.

I wish that was in the cards... building (and living in a rental) is just too drawn out with a toddler, a baby enroute, and two malinois in the house!

Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
Sending you an e-mail.

Posts: 4505 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Welcome to DFW! Since I'm in NE Dallas I can't give any advice about your relocation. There are lots of places to shoot in the area, both indoor and outdoor. One outdoor range I know about is the Texas Defensive Shooting Acadamy located NE of Ferris, TX. Another is the Extreme Tactics & Training Solutions range SW of Waxahatchie near Maypearl, TX. TX Gun Range is SE of Midlothian. There's an indoor range in Duncanville, TX: Bullseye Range & Guns. Texas Gun Academy is also located in Duncanville--it is an outdoor range.

I have shot at the TDSA range and the Bullseye indoor range, but it was many years ago and I don't know much about them now.

If you like motor sports, there is a big complex at Ennis, TX--they host one of the National NHRA contests each year, along with other types of racing.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree with what others have said go south, possibly even southwest towards Grandview.

Posts: 1183 | Location: DFW Metromess | Registered: May 20, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was going to suggest Grandview area too. I lived there years ago on six+ acres and it was beautiful. Can’t speak to the schools as I had no kids. At the time I lived there the population of Grandview was less than 2000 people.

Posts: 407 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spdski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MelissaDallas:
I was going to suggest Grandview area too. I lived there years ago on six+ acres and it was beautiful. Can’t speak to the schools as I had no kids. At the time I lived there the population of Grandview was less than 2000 people.

Sounds like my kind of place… what made you leave it?

posted Hide Post
Divorce. Commute to downtown Dallas and ex-husband’s shop not making it. If I could have kept it until I retired I would have. We bought in late Eighties for less than $3000 an acre. When we split and moved in 1989 we still had a party line phone. That is how “boonies” it was then.

Posts: 407 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: February 27, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Family Man
posted Hide Post
I agree with the Midlothian/Waxahachie/Grandview area recommendation. If you need a Realtor, let me know. I know a good one who works in those areas.

Posts: 987 | Registered: December 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by spdski:

40 miles 2 or 3 times a week isn't a deal killer for us.

I hope you don’t have to use 360 to get there. That could be a 2 hour drive each way. I’d be preemptive and see if you can either come in way early and leave early or late/late. Avoid rush hour. You will not be pleased. Midlothian area is your best bet (and Mansfield) but you’d be stuck dealing with 360. And a lot of storms rip through those areas, and often.

Grand Prairie for work is really difficult because it’s smack dab in the middle of the metroplex. So many people have moved to the metroplex that commuting is a bit insane now. It’s been a population explosion over the last 7 years. If you don’t live relatively close to your workplace, you’re pretty screwed.

That population explosion has some of us locals wanting to move out of the area, and out of the state.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12660 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spdski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
quote:
Originally posted by spdski:

40 miles 2 or 3 times a week isn't a deal killer for us.

I hope you don’t have to use 360 to get there. That could be a 2 hour drive each way. I’d be preemptive and see if you can either come in way early and leave early or late/late. Avoid rush hour. You will not be pleased. Midlothian area is your best bet (and Mansfield) but you’d be stuck dealing with 360. And a lot of storms rip through those areas, and often.

Grand Prairie for work is really difficult because it’s smack dab in the middle of the metroplex. So many people have moved to the metroplex that commuting is a bit insane now. It’s been a population explosion over the last 7 years. If you don’t live relatively close to your workplace, you’re pretty screwed.

That population explosion has some of us locals wanting to move out of the area, and out of the state.

Thanks. I will look at actual drive times more carefully.

From your experience, is there a sharp cut off for traffic times? I was thinking I would work 7:30-4 or 7-3:30… hoping that’s early enough.

Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
Zillow is a good place to start, but find a reputable real estate agent. Good luck in finding dirt for sale in your 50 mile radius. Everything is being bought up by developers. There are good values in Grapevine and Flower Mound (my AOR). Lewisville is ok, but Section 8 is encroaching throughout the city. Stay out of Tarrant and Dallas counties. Property tax will rape you to the last dime. Denton County is the best in the metroplex.

Posts: 1964 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
DFW as grown so much, traffic is awful now.

I used to love going to DFW area to visit family. Now it's an ordeal, a chore, it sucks.

Denton used to be the "sticks" North of DFW, now the home building is growing more and more, to Sanger and going North. One day it will probably touch Gainesville and the OKlahoma border.

The crazy thing is, the DFW area, and points North and Northeast, do not have sufficient quantities of water to supply everyone.

Posts: 11865 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post