SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Thank You For Asking Mr. President: African American vs. Black
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thank You For Asking Mr. President: African American vs. Black Login/Join 
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted
Thought of Para's thread on word games when I read this piece today. And I'll admit I had these thoughts in the past.

"A few weeks back I went online to RSBN to tune into the solemn and yet very enlightening funeral for Lynette “Diamond” Hardaway of Diamond and Silk fame. The funeral expenses were paid for entirely by Donald J. Trump, and the former President also attended the funeral, sitting alongside the Hardaway family.

I discovered that Silk possessed a very commanding presence of her own. While being somewhat eclipsed by the presence of her more animated Irish-twin, Diamond, it was evident that she could handily proceed with the Diamond and Silk brand in Diamond’s absence. I also learned a great deal more about the rich history of the Hardaway clan.

The closing speaker was of course, Donald J. Trump. He spoke about getting to know the Hardaway family, the Silk that he realized he didn’t know, and his commitment to addressing Black concerns. What was deemed most interesting in the President’s speech was when he humbly revealed that he didn’t know how to address us…. Black people.

At around the 3 hour and 50 minute mark the President reveals to the attendees that he always felt ignorant with regard to how to address the Black community:

quote:
“I always used to ask -- what do you like better -- African American?... Black? You know there are many different terms. They said “We like Black” -- because I was always saying “African American.”

Upon hearing this revelation, I could not help but admire his willingness to admit that he didn’t know, as well as having the humility to ask. I’d never heard a politician ask before. This is what sets Donald Trump apart from politicians. He is not a politician. He has offered himself to Americans as a man of the people, and in keeping with that persona, he admitted that he just didn’t know. And how could he know? After all, in over a rather condensed period of time, we’d gone from “Colored” to “Negro” to “Black” to “African American.” I’d be confused too if I weren’t Black.

The truth of the matter is that as a Black woman in her sixties, I have never in my life -- not once -- heard a Black person refer to another Black person as “African American.” It simply isn’t a part of our common, day-to-day vernacular. If a Black person is telling a story about the guy at the outdoor produce stand, the Black person on the listening end might ask… “Which one... the Black guy?” He is not going to ask, “Which one, the African American guy?”

Moreover, when engaging Black people, I’ve never heard any other ethnic group refer to us as anything other than “Black.” It’s quite acceptable, and I’ve never heard anyone protest being referred to as such, as it relates to ethnicity.

So again, the White friend on the listening end is likely to respond in kind… "Which one...the Black guy?"

The question now becomes, where did this come from? Who ushered in the misnomer that “African American” was what the masses of Blacks preferred to be addressed as?

The answer to that question would be the Reverend Jesse Jackson.

I remember this quite clearly in the 1980s, but to validate my memory I’ll cite a 1989 article from the New York Times. This article reports on Jesse Jackson’s movement to refer to Blacks as “African Americans.” The article effectually reports that:

quote:
“Some say they do not identify with Africa and resent prominent Blacks telling them what to be called.”

Therein lies a truth that has become evident in the age of the 2023. I am personally not averse to identifying with the continent of Africa, however, I found myself vexed by Jackson’s misguided, if not high-minded and authoritative, attempt to speak for us. I don’t even recall Jackson ever asking us what we wanted. In his highness, he simply ran with and projected his own desires.

What ultimately ensued was a journalistic colloquialism that was never in sync with grassroot Blacks. This vernacular ushered in by Jackson, has become the standard by which to refer to us on television, in print media, and in academia. It was not something that we asked for, and subsequently, we never adopted it. To be quite frank, I think it’s high time that it went away. As easily as the term Negro, and Colored vanished from our reading materials, the same can be accomplished with the dated and ultimately rejected byword, African American. Most of us prefer to be called Black. I personally adore the word. I consider it abbreviatedly powerful. In the end, the people have already proven that Jesse Jackson was incorrect in his assertions.

I applaud President Trump for admitting that he needed to ask because he wasn’t sure. It was refreshing. He also admitted to pondering if he should shed tears at the funeral if he felt it welling up in his spirit. But he concluded that the media would have a field day with it. What this tells me was that crying may have indeed been in his spirit after the death of Diamond, and perhaps he may have done so in private.

The more I see of President Trump, the more evident it becomes that he is not a manufactured automaton telling the people what they want to hear, and doing otherwise. He has profound moments of humility. He is listening to us. He seeks to execute change. He seeks to understand, and not render himself foolish or self-absorbed.

Thank you for asking, Mr. President. We prefer Black."

https://www.americanthinker.co...ng_mr_president.html

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16718 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I always use the word black and have worked with many blacks over the years to know this is the thing to say. At least based on the working relationship. I'd never heard anything different among them.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38699 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I liked reading that about President Trump

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15905 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
When they start referring to white people as European-Americans, then we can talk. Until then, I will ignore their inconsistencies and continue to use the term "black".

If you'll recall, some years ago, there was rioting and unrest in France, and one of the news agencies in Europe reflexively called several of the people who were injured (who happened to be black) "African-Americans".

That says it all.

Posts: 107678 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
But do we capitalize it or not?

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10493 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
I’ve said for decades, no way we will come together as AMERICANS so long as we are continually trying to subdivide as “X”-American this an “Y”-American that.

I’m always on the look out for someone bashing Mr. Musk so I can ask them “Shouldn’t we be supporting African-American immigrant entrepreneurs?”

The looks they give are priceless.

I also seem to recall some US politician (can’t remember who) stepping on his dick years ago while visiting England and referring to black British folks as “African-American”.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10947 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
By their logic and assertions, all mankind originated in Africa, I am therefore African and American. So, I am African American too. My pronouns are his majesty and highness.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29720 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Have always used black and never had a black guy or girl show the slightest inkling they expected to be called anything else. It’s just another tool foisted upon everyone to try and sow division.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15611 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have always used black and never had a black guy or girl show the slightest inkling they expected to be called anything else. It’s just another tool foisted upon everyone to try and sow division.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Growing up the terms were Negro or Colored. I was reading a newspaper from the 1960s and the terms were both used. Black and African American came later.

Posts: 17258 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I've seen dumbass Americans refer to blacks in France and England as African Americans.

The kicker was when I witnessed that ridiculous shit when I was on Safari in South Africa Roll Eyes

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30419 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JohnCourage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
I've seen dumbass Americans refer to blacks in France and England as African Americans.

The kicker was when I witnessed that ridiculous shit when I was on Safari in South Africa Roll Eyes

So they were calling South Africans, African-Americans? That is beyond hilarious.

JC

Posts: 1272 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JohnCourage:

So they were calling South Africans, African-Americans? That is beyond hilarious.

Americans in South Africa. Yes they were.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30419 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ukhayes
posted Hide Post
African-American is a heritage not a race. We have a local garage run by a family from South Africa now American citizens. Truly African-American and they are white.

Posts: 496 | Location: White House,TN | Registered: May 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Idiots.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Growing up the terms were Negro or Colored. I was reading a newspaper from the 1960s and the terms were both used. Black and African American came later.
Same here. "Negro" is just the word for "Black" in Spanish and Portuguese. The classless used a different "N" word, considered derogatory (except when they use it).

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I was coming here to make fun of this.

How about just Americans? Or black? It's silly, most black people's families have been here many, many, many generations longer than my family has. If we are going by lineage, they are way more American than I am. I think it's time we stop using the weird ass word as a society.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20836 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
"Negro" is just the word for "Black" in Spanish and Portuguese.
Yup.

I vaguely recall thinking, back when "negro" became declasse in language, and we all learned we were to use "black," instead, "But 'negro' means 'black.'"

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
I vaguely recall thinking, back when "negro" became declasse in language …

Until around the late 1960s, early 70s, Negro was a perfectly acceptable, neutral term to refer to a black person. Some organizations still use Negro or colored in their names. I had an old World Book Encyclopedia (it was so old it ended with the Johnson administration) with a whole article entitled "Negro."

Most modern American black people have little or no connection to Africa. A comical, but accurate, look at this is found in the Sanford & Son episode "Lamont Goes African."

Posts: 27975 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
By their logic and assertions, all mankind originated in Africa, I am therefore African and American. So, I am African American too. My pronouns are his majesty and highness.

By jove Govnah, I think that you’ve just struck gold in the Reparations Jackpot Lottery!

Posts: 3489 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I generally don't use the word "black" but I positively eschew "African-American" as a descriptor for people with higher dermal melanin concentrations.

The reason I hate "African-American" is simple: the majority of those who claim to be "African-American" have never been to Africa. In contrast, I lived four of the most formative years of my life in Africa. The place is literally part of me. I am the first son of the only Caucasian I know of ever made an honorary Paramount chief by the Liberians. I have a love for the place that is strong, almost as strong as my love of America.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31458 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post