SIGforum
A large catepillar

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/5830000225

August 31, 2026, 08:17 PM
ridewv
A large catepillar
Well technically a larvae but the largest one I've seen. It was crossing our little gravel road. Looking it up it is a Cecropia Moth, North America's largest native moth with wingspans up to 6". It was every bit the size of my forefinger. They're most commonly found on maple trees but are known to feed on cherry and birch. So I picked the little fellow up and placed it on a maple.




No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.
August 31, 2026, 08:20 PM
Pipe Smoker
Green! And with orange, yellow, and blue prongs!

Thanks for the photo.



Serious about crackers.
August 31, 2026, 08:25 PM
vthoky
I saw one like that last week, but it was sort of reddish-orange.

Can't deny, it scared me a little bit! Big Grin




Politicians seem to have forgotten that they work for us, not the other way around.
— — — — — — — — — — — —
God bless America.
August 31, 2026, 08:52 PM
Genorogers
I've seen some too ! Supposed they might be good to eat ? Fry maybe ?
August 31, 2026, 09:27 PM
JoseyWales2
Reminds of the tobacco horn worms that I saw as a kid many, many years ago. Those things are massive, easily as big as the OP's picture.


----------------------------------
"These things you say we will have, we already have."
"That's true. I ain't promising you nothing extra."
August 31, 2026, 10:31 PM
D_Steve
Fish Bait?


_____________________

August 31, 2026, 10:47 PM
trapper189
This is what came to mind:


September 01, 2026, 11:02 AM
ridewv
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
Green! And with orange, yellow, and blue prongs!

Thanks for the photo.


Yes quite an interesting looking thing.

I've seen a good number of Monarch butterfly larva feeding on milkweed recently too. They're large but not nearly as much as this one.


No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.
September 01, 2026, 11:03 AM
ridewv
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
This is what came to mind:




LOL


No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.
September 02, 2026, 05:04 AM
sourdough44
No hair on that caterpillar, a warm Winter? Just kidding, know the type, big & juicy.

I’ll wait on the woolly caterpillar for prediction of winter weather.

I know Utah, CO & others were grousing about light snowfall last season. I want to see the pendulum swing, see them SLAMMED.
September 02, 2026, 05:20 AM
downtownv
Do they taste like chicken?


_________________________
September 02, 2026, 05:29 AM
sourdough44
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
Do they taste like chicken?


With some breading & condiments, I think you could get them to taste like chicken.
September 02, 2026, 09:33 PM
mr kablammo
A Black Witch moth was recently sheltering in the shadow at my front door. Popular superstition says bad omen. I disagree, it was as big as my hand and good fortune to see it up close.

Thanks for helping that caterpiller.


"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.
September 02, 2026, 11:38 PM
tatortodd
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
Do they taste like chicken?
With some breading & condiments, I think you could get them to taste like chicken.
Even easier getting a chicken to taste a juicy caterpillar then later eating the chicken



Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.