SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Electricians step in please. Water heater wiring, outlets, and conduit question. UPDATE: Whole Cabin being rewired!!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Electricians step in please. Water heater wiring, outlets, and conduit question. UPDATE: Whole Cabin being rewired!! Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Trying to get some things done around the cabin which means I get to do the work and take buddies along. MattW went and moved a long way away so that help went out the window but I digress.
So first things first I want to replace the 25 gallon water heater with a tankless electric unit.
Very little hot water is needed there is a kitchen and bathroom sink and a shower. Hot water rarely gets used for anything other than cooking, washing hands, and quick showers.
Electric is older 70s would be my guess and since I am stuck doing everything no upgrading the electric.
This is the water heater I have.

Is there something that will be a direct swap? Just swap the electric wires and water lines over?

*********Completely Different Issue from Water Heater**********

Next this is what the outlets look like

I want to lop off the outlets and run the wires in conduit and attach to the wall instead of the wires just being staples to the wall. And an outlet box to mount to the wall.
The wiring is adequate I just want to clean the look up a bit.

If the cabin was not in the middle of no where I would gladly pay to have someone reword the cabin. Sadly getting people to work around there is a Pipe Dream.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Black92LX,

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25426 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Was actually going to text you later today. I’m heading out west next week but will probably stop in Kentucky for a few days if I’m able to work it out.

If somebody can answer your questions I might be able to help you should our schedules align.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Am I seeing 120 volts electric wires on a 240 volt water heater? Need at least #10 wire, and that might be 10 or 12 wire.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a feeling that the wire feeding your existing water heater is not going to be large enough to carry the tankless heater . You'll need to check and see what the tankless one requires .
Those receptacles on the wall are concerning . What size and type of wire is there now ?

Posts: 4058 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
A small electric tankless water heater would be 18kW or 5 times as much electricity as your current water heater. Your probably going to need 2-40 amp breakers and 8 gauge wire.

Posts: 10950 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
What size wire and breaker. If it's that old it may be of a double 20amp with 12g wire? Is there a ground wire?

Anything new will be hard wired which isn't hard if your current wire is up to it. You could just put that wire in a junction box and feed out with some extra wire into the new water heater.

The Amp draw on the new water heater and what you currently have for wiring will decide what works.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16402 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
Am I seeing 120 volts electric wires on a 240 volt water heater? Need at least #10 wire, and that might be 10 or 12 wire.

Looks like two sets of wires which is likely wired on a double breaker(or two singles considering the age) for 240v. Those are old non-grounded outlets and not what you will see today or up to current code. I'm guessing they wired two plugs into the old WH and plugged it those outlets.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16402 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
Are you saying that that receptacle hanging off the wire is what is powering the existing water heater?

If that's the case probably needs some more consideration.

Posts: 1958 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Sorry for the confusion. I edited the original as it made it seem like I was referring to them as the same wiring circuits.
The water heater is a completely separate circuit from the outlets pictured.
The water heater is proper 240 wiring. I posted the sticker showing the water heater showing the specs hoping there is a tankless that is similar. Probably looking at more of a point of use unit like this

ECOTOUCH Electric Tankless Water Heater Point-of-Use Hot Water Heater Digital Display for Energy Efficiency 5.5kW at 240V, White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M..._api_i_NjF3CbEP924A8

As for the outlets looking to keep the wire but put it into some conduit and add a new outlet box.

As for code there is no such thing around these parts. Licensed or properly trained electricians are nonexistent in the area. Same goes for plumbers I could really use both at the moment.
Hence the reason I have to do it and am just looking to swap everything one for one.

————————————————

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MattW:
Was actually going to text you later today. I’m heading out west next week but will probably stop in Kentucky for a few days if I’m able to work it out.

If somebody can answer your questions I might be able to help you should our schedules align.

Doubt I’ll get back down to the cabin next week as it is the boys last week of school so class picnics and programs. But if you are around should be able to grab lunch or dinner.

————————————————

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Sorry for the confusion. I edited the original as it made it seem like I was referring to them as the same wiring circuits.
The water heater is proper 240 wiring. I posted the sticker showing the water heater showing the specs hoping there is a tankless that is similar. Probably looking at more of a point of use unit like this

ECOTOUCH Electric Tankless Water Heater Point-of-Use Hot Water Heater Digital Display for Energy Efficiency 5.5kW at 240V, White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07M..._api_i_NjF3CbEP924A8

As for the outlets looking to keep the wire but put it into some conduit and add a new outlet box.

As for code there is no such thing around these parts. Licensed or properly trained electricians are nonexistent in the area. Same goes for plumbers I could really use both at the moment.
Hence the reason I have to do it and am just looking to swap everything one for one.

All kinds of problems here. First, linked unit is for sinks, you'd need one twice the size for a shower and it would need a dedicated circuit for shower as well as one dedicated circuit for every two of the sink sized units. Electrical costs alone on that would be excessive, additionally the cost per unit needed as well as drywall and paint would destroy any potential electricity savings. Why not just flip off breaker when you aren't there?

Next for electrical consideration, you will very likely need a larger electrical service if you want whole house instead of point of use, they require two to three 40a 240v circuits.

As for the wiring/outlets abandon all and rewire. That shit is beyond illegal.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wiring may be from the 1960's. Reusing not a good idea because it is probably brittle and bending could cause insulation damage.
Tankless electric is usually a long payback replacement option due to need for modernized/upgraded panel and wiring requirements.
Listen to what Skins says above.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:

All kinds of problems here. First, linked unit is for sinks, you'd need one twice the size for a shower and it would need a dedicated circuit for shower as well as one dedicated circuit for every two of the sink sized units. Electrical costs alone on that would be excessive, additionally the cost per unit needed as well as drywall and paint would destroy any potential electricity savings. Why not just flip off breaker when you aren't there?

Next for electrical consideration, you will very likely need a larger electrical service if you want whole house instead of point of use, they require two to three 40a 240v circuits.

As for the wiring/outlets abandon all and rewire. That shit is beyond illegal.

That unit claims 1gpm of hot water. That is about all one gets from the shower anyway it’s more of a bird bath than anything.
The Kitchen sink, bathroom sink, and shower are all on the same wall with about 20’ of PEX between the current tank and the shower and that is the only plumbing in the place.
Hot water is not used in 2 places at once.
I am not looking for an electric savings. Looking to free up space by not having a tank taking up a corner of the kitchen and not having to drain the tank each time I head back home.

As for the wiring that is what I have to work with. I’d love to rewire the whole place. But that is well beyond me and as I said getting anyone to work down there is impossible. So I do the work or someone I can swindle to come with me.
I don’t know any electrical folks to tag along unless you would like to take a lovely vacation to the mountains of Kentucky and lend a hand.

————————————————

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
It's an eight hour drive to the border, may be a bit far. If rewiring is not an option, and if you have electrical panel you could put in GFI breakers to make it safer. I'll leave the plumbing part up to the people with that knowledge, but the GPM does seem too low.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Black92LX,
I have seen water heaters like yours on a #12 wire 20 amp 240 volt circuit. The tankless you referenced must have a #10 wire 30 amp 240 volt circuit. Please check this, if ok it may work as you want it to.
Tankless does not play nice with hard water. Read up on this. Kentucky has some of the hardest water I have ever seen.
My advise is to leave the outlet wiring alone until you can replace all of it.

Posts: 1196 | Location: Moved to N.W. MT. | Registered: April 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellas.
Was hoping to make thins look a little nicer. Looks like I am stuck with what I’ve got.
Good news is it works.

————————————————

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Getting it completely rewired!!!!!
My cousin is an electrician and lives a ways away but is going to rewire the whole place!!! Said he’ll bring it above code.
So looking forward to that.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
quote:
My cousin is an electrician and lives a ways away but is going to rewire the whole place!!! Said he’ll bring it above code.
So looking forward to that.

That's what it needs. It's best to do it the right way and sounds like you can trust him and he'll give you a deal.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Tankless heaters do not play well with hard water as was said above, you'd have to flush it out each season or put an inline filter to get the hardness down I'd opt for an inline filter on the water of the canister type, easy to service and replace.

Since it's an occasional use place and you are looking for extra space I'd see no reason not to put in the tankless unit. It's not like you're trying to heat enough water for a family with 4 teenagers.

Glad you're getting the electrical upgraded, while you are at it, have you considered putting solar on the place,

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
..... Said he’ll bring it above code.

Good, that is really what is needed.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis