SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Some good thoughts for our son please
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Some good thoughts for our son please Login/Join 
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted
Well he is at Portland airport. He is returning after a week long training class with a
certification test to be a Certified Coating Inspector Grade Two. His company he works at sent him.
Thursday when we talked to him he felt he was going to fail the tests. He has been in 12 hour classes with tests Friday and Final Test today Saturday. At this time he thinks he may have passed the tests. He won't know for about a month. He is twenty and worries if he fails he will be looking for a new job. He is being trained to be a quality control inspector at a contracting manufacturing company.

Some good wishes please.

Thanks

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Long term ammoholic
Picture of gunnutty
posted Hide Post
Prayers and thoughts for him!

Posts: 671 | Location: North Central Arkansas | Registered: February 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
best wishes for safe travel, ( can you wear hockey pads on a plane these days?)

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55166 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Tell him not to bEat him self up so bad. He should do ok. When he gets his test results he owes me a coffee. I'll send a prayer.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admin/Odd Duck

Picture of lbj
posted Hide Post
He's fine, he passed.

There is iron in my words of death for all to see.
So there is iron in my words of life.

Posts: 31440 | Registered: February 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
He texted that some old lady threw her cane at a TSA Officer.

I texted back to him - Good for her.

Wife, Daughter and I are getting ready to make the commute to pick in up at Sacramento International.

Our Daughter is happy she passed her online chapter test in Calculus just now with a 94. She is in tenth grade and I didn't get to Calculus so I can't help.

So she is going with us to fetch Brother.

Thanks

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Done

Posts: 27158 | Location: TOAD SUCK, AR | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I've learned the hard way that closed doors are often closed for your own good. And if he needs to find a new job, it's not the end of the world. And it will be even better. Seriously, he's 20 years old.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20011 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
^^^

Sometimes we need to fail to motivate us to do things differently.

It's another "pain" and pain can be our "friend" even if it's that friend you hate to have around.

I spent many years of my life trying to "avoid" pain of all types.

Finally found who to use it as a lever to grant me the ability to reach for things I did not think I could do, until the fear of failing to try and succeed became a voice on my shoulder, coaching me to keep on trying and moving.

It has served me well.

My prayer is to help his unbelief (in himself and abilities) and for the strength to push back at life, hard, and continually.

Best of luck to him!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44442 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
^^^

Sometimes we need to fail to motivate us to do things differently.

It's another "pain" and pain can be our "friend" even if it's that friend you hate to have around.

I spent many years of my life trying to "avoid" pain of all types.

Finally found who to use it as a lever to grant me the ability to reach for things I did not think I could do, until the fear of failing to try and succeed became a voice on my shoulder, coaching me to keep on trying and moving.

It has served me well.

My prayer is to help his unbelief (in himself and abilities) and for the strength to push back at life, hard, and continually.

Best of luck to him!

This^^^ and JFK jr failed his BAR exam 3 times before he passed...

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...050018905#1050018905

Posts: 8665 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

And he got two yutes off a murder charge in Ala-fuckin'-bama, who came from New York, and killed a good ol' boy. There was no way this was not going to trial!

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44442 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the words of wisdom and strength.

Well we stopped for dinner at Chevy’s on the way home. Kind of celebrating Mother’s Day and his safe return. He feels good about the test. He always puts to much pressure on himself when he does something new and important. About a year ago he went thru an online course in welding inspections. Company paid $1200.00 for the course and all the way thru each chapter he kept saying he is going to fail. Company said the two persons they put thru it before did not pass it. Well he passed it in good scores.

In high school he was in an afterschool program in Robotics. Well his senior year the instructor left and the new instructor was not real good. So the year after graduation he would go to the Robotics afterschool program and volunteer his time to help out. He had a part time job at a candy store in town. One of the adult mentors worked at the company he works at now. When Charlies turned eighteen the mentor asked if he wanted to come work for this company as a Quality Inspector in training. Wife and I told him see God provides and especially because you volunteered to help the program out.

I know the two youngest kids get their feelings of failure from the wife. Wife is always saying at times dinner is a fail if it is not just perfect.

He told us the elderly lady threw her cane at the TSA Officer when they asked her to get out of her wheelchair and stand up for the scan. Our son said on his trip there the TSA patted down his legs. Maybe because he forgot to take off his belt with a metal buckle.

I have a question. Also on his departure from Sacramento Airport to Portland they also swabbed his finger tips or nails. Were they looking for explosive residue? If so I am glad it went ok. For before he got a ride over to our house he said he gave two of his roommates their rifles that were in his safe. He is the only one with a safe. You know them young boys don’t always clean their rifles after a shoot.

Thanks Again

Roy

Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
Prayers said for him!

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6731 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the only real danger of the trip was dealing with TSA.

It's good to feel pressure to do well at skills needed to advance at your job. Some good stress.

The stress of airline travel and the gestapo tactics of the TSA are far more concerning to me. One should never have to be worried about their travel being restricted in our country after merely handling a rifle. What a country we've allowed this to become.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13984 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I hope it works out for him.

If he has to sit around in an airport, there are much worse places than PDX. It is one of the nicest airports in the country.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post