SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Found a phone on the backseat of a cab. How do I find its owner?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Found a phone on the backseat of a cab. How do I find its owner? Login/Join 
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted
The battery flatlined so I 'll have to charge it first but would like to know what is the SOP?

It's an iphone 5.

Have one myself.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12141 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Why not call the owner?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Why not call the owner?

Duh! Wink

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I'm an Android user myself, but if its not locked I'm sure there is an 'about phone' option to you can access and you should see who the carrier is and go from there. If it's locked, you're toast. The FBI can't seem to gain access to a locked phone so you won't either.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
If I thought I lost my iPhone in a taxi, I'd call the taxi dispatcher, asking if someone turned one in.

A college-sportsbar tavern where I perform service work is constantly finding iPhones. The unlucky call the tavern landline asking if one was found. The owner usually is asked to unlock it to prove ownership.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
If you turn it on, even locked, they may be able to locate you. Also, the phone may be set up to display an emergency contact number on the lock screen as well.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Woodman:
If I thought I lost my iPhone in a taxi, I'd call the taxi dispatcher, asking if someone turned one in.

Yep, I'd turn it in to the taxi company. The person who lost it may have paid with a credit card, so the company might be able to take the initiative.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't turn it in to the taxi company, because I don't trust most people. Take to an Apple store and I'm sure they can plug it in and find out who it belongs to. I'm pretty sure Apple will no by the ESN or IMEI what carrier it is registered to and go from there. Plus you might be able to get info by plugging it into a computer with iTunes.

Posts: 3440 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Maybe the owner will eventually call you? I found a phone a few years back while visiting Providence R.I. that happened to belong to a Brown University student who called me the next day and was irate that I was no longer in the area! I offered to and did mail it back to her.

Posts: 13819 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
Maybe the owner will eventually call you? I found a phone a few years back while visiting Providence R.I. that happened to belong to a Brown University student who called me the next day and was irate that I was no longer in the area! I offered to and did mail it back to her.

This would be my approach. Charge it & see if they call to recover the phone.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15379 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frog in boiling water
posted Hide Post
I found an iPhone on the road once.
I put the SIM card into my phone because the screen was smashed.
I called the last person that left them a voicemail and they
Contacted the owner & he called me.

Posts: 429 | Registered: November 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
No cab companies this neck of the woods, none that keep track of rides anyway. Here you rent the dispatch service to get radio rides and that is all.

To make things worse/ funnier, the driver was an old geezer very very deaf. Had to repeat him directions at least three times and tell him four times to stop and let us out. The phone owner might have called his phone until it died of exhaustion and out of hope and batteries Big Grin

Will resurrect the device when I get home. It has a sticker on the back that looks like it came back from a service repair shop.

I've never been able to get past my own lock screen and down here we hardly ever plan for the emergency. Usually phones get snatched/stolen on the streets and that's the end of the story.
A friend of mine was able to track his unit to 10ft and had a policemen standing next to him so he asked for help. The cop replied he wasn't getting paid enough to get his ass killed retrieving stolen property, to give it a try and see how it worked out for the owner. My friend learned a valuable lesson that day.

0-0

Posts: 12141 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I found a phone in the park once. Battery was dead. I had a charger for that brand so I charged it up and turned it on. No password so I called someone on the call list and asked if they knew whose phone it was. She contacted the owner through a land line and we met to return the phone. Convoluted, but hey, the phone was returned and I felt good about that.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29733 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Charge it, turn it on and let the owner call you. If he has it setup, he can put it into lost mode and it displays a message that says "This phone is lost. If you find this phone, please call this number....."

He may have written it off anyway and had it erased. If I lose my phone, I can have "Find my iPhone" send a signal to erase my phone if it's lost. As soon as the phone has a signal, the command is sent and the phone will be erased remotely and it will basically be a brick.

And yes, the apple store should be able to help find the owner.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5416 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
Turn it on and see if it displays the phone carrier. Turn the phone over to them.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3855 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^ unless there are NO Apple stores in the whole country.

It's funny but iPhones, particularly recent ones, are a statussymbol in my country. They're 99% smuggled since there's no official Apple presence in the country since they did not reach an "agreement" with the previous venezuelian style government and therefore the phones were never allowed to be sold locally.

Most of the cel phone units biz went to Samsung and in lesser quantities to other brands.

So, no support, parts, decent repair shops or didly squat. You can find all kinds, types and sorts of cheap cases or chinese knock offs of brand ones. Had a couple of "brand" ones turn to dust in my hands in a year.

Not having support hurts. When an iOs update neutered my i4s wifi that hurt. Turned it into a brick now that the battery lasts two songs. No spares on the market.

Phone companies are all about grabbing ppls money and providing little or no service.Customer Service is anything but that. No one has ever heard of a phone company returning a phone. Less likely to return a phone that legally should not exist.

Tomorrow i'll charge the lost phone and fiddle with it. No way I'm trying the SIM card in my phone.

Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I just wouldn't turn it on near home....

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12761 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Throw it out and do the guy a favor iPhone 5? Cool

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8399 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
Throw it out and do the guy a favor iPhone 5? Cool

I still use my iphone 5 more than my 7. I'm on my 3rd battery on it.

Yeah, be careful about leaving it on at your house, if they have the find my phone setup, the owner may come with a bunch of dudes to your doorstep.

Posts: 7425 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wingspar
posted Hide Post
If you go this route, do Not breath the fumes from the guts.

---------------
Gary
Will Fly for Food... and more Ammo
Mosquito Lubrication Video

If Guns Cause Crime, Mine Are Defective.... Ted Nugent

Posts: 2505 | Location: Oregon | Registered: January 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post