SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    When should a hot water heater be replaced?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When should a hot water heater be replaced? Login/Join 
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted
I am looking at a 15 year old water heater and thinking I should replace it. An ounce of prevention...

What say the hive?

Posts: 5028 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
If it's easily accessible and easy to check for leaks, let it run IMHO. If its in the attic (WHAT ASSHOLE EVER DREAMED THIS UP?), its time. I had an attic WH leak in Texas and what a PITA.

Good Luck.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
H.O.F.I.S
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rainman64:
I am looking at a 15 year old water heater and thinking I should replace it. An ounce of prevention...

What say the hive?

Well considering I just yesterday replaced a 15 year old water heater, I say NOW.

"I'm sorry, did I break your concentration"?

Posts: 1513 | Location: Above water | Registered: September 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When the cost of a repair is better spent towards a new unit.

When the parts are no longer available for a repair (unlikely).

When it starts leaking.

*I don't replace my vehicle's engine when it's still running fine, just because, you know good measure and all. Wink

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Replaced mine last week after it leaked from my basement laundry room where it was kept into the finished part of my basement. Mild to moderate leak, moderate damage to my finished basement. I got all the wet carpet, pad, tack strip and content removed before mildew set in. I put fans and a big dehumidifier in the area and there is no mold. Not a major crisis but a Big PITA though. Moral of the story is water heaters sometimes leak when they fail. Do you want the experience I just had? Indulge your paranoia and replace it, 15 years seems like a long service life.

Posts: 3150 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Look into a tankless water heater, on demand, no limits to supply, no tank to keep heating constantly, reduced footprint.

If you have NG or LP, it's the way to go.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I've been told that typical water heaters have a useful life of 10 years

I replace mine after 10 years - working or not because I can't afford to repair the damage from a leak

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:

When it starts leaking.

*I don't replace my vehicle's engine when it's still running fine, just because, you know good measure and all. Wink

My answer exactly, and my cold water heater is slightly over 19 years old.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The last water heater I had fail was 2 years old. Yeah, it was still in warranty but it made a big damn mess with all the water it leaked overnight. I noticed it the next morning and shut it off and started the cleanup.

I would replace it when it fails or you can no longer get parts.

Posts: 869 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My dad was a plumber and he always told us that water heaters typically last ten years.

If I were you, I’d replace it asap. But I’m anal about stuff like that. I’ve seen how much damage a leaking WH can cause. I also replace my washing machine hoses every 5 years regardless...they are rubber an it breaks down. Nothing like a leak while you’re at work all day to come home to an inch of throughout the house

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11286 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by Excam_Man:

When it starts leaking.

My answer exactly, and my cold water heater is slightly over 19 years old.
+2 Why incur an expense when you don't have to yet.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
The new one would probably crap out in six months to about a year and a half Razz

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
I guess I was either lucky or they just built them a lot better then. We bought this house in 1994 and it had a 6 year warrantied water heater dated 1991 in the cellar. We moved it once in 1998 during a remodel and it finally started leaking in 2017.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My townhome was built in 2002 & the gas water heater lasted about 15 years. The problem was that under the water heater was a drain & no water showed in the pan. My water & gas bill doubled & I did not know the water heater was leaking.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4266 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
My last two took a shit around five years. Las Vegas water is hard (pun) on them. I date them at install so I know.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5480 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
8-10 years...$900 42 gal installed here in coastal eastern FL

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
Mine's currently 18 years old <knocks wood>. It's in the furnace room on concrete near a floor drain. I don't plan on replacing it until it leaks or it is beyond reasonable repair.

I might feel differently if it was in the attic or someplace that a leak could cause a lot of damage.

Posts: 1802 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
I wait until it doesnt work or leaks. Im fortunate that mine is located in it's own closet outside of the house, so no further issues when it does leak.

Here's my last one that I had replaced when it leaked a few years ago (about 10 years old).

Mysterious gelatinous globs came out. Hard water?

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
Mine is 21yrs old in our basement about four feet away from the sump pump...I'll replace it when it dies. Showing zero signs of leakage.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3629 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
While in the business we replaced on average one a week. They mostly fail between 6 and 8 years it seemed. A disappointing few didn't last the warrantee out and because we were stand up guys Smile with very loyal customers we furnished the labor for free and we never had an issue getting a new heater from the supplier 100% no charge.

However, if it last ten it might go on to 15 or more it seemed. I have replaced a few at 20 or over.

If it is in a place that will cause damage replace it sooner. Doh! I moved mine to the garage... out of the house. Moved the laundry out there too! Couple thing less to worry about.

I also turn my water off when on vacation... My dad's construction company and I repaired a LOT of water damaged houses.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post