SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any... Arborists? Forestry folks? Timber stand improvement experts? Licensed Pesticide applicator? Chemists?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any... Arborists? Forestry folks? Timber stand improvement experts? Licensed Pesticide applicator? Chemists? Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted
Heck we got one of everything else, can't hurt to ask here as well.

"Hack and squirt".

Some of you will know what I'm talking about, some won't. That's okay but I'm not looking for a discussion about it. I'll use a bunch of terms that make it sound like I know a lot more about it than I really do, so here goes. Big Grin

Anyway, probably the most well know, broad acting "recipe" is..

Garlon 3A is Triclopyr 3 (Triclopyr amine).
Of course I live in the only state in the country where you can't buy Triclopyr amine. I could ignore the law, but that would still be a 6-8 hour round trip car ride to get it, so I don't think so.

What I do have on hand is Triclopyr 4 (triclopyr ester). Intended to be mixed with oil for basal applications or stump spraying. But they say it can also be mixed with water for foliar applications. (but I've also read places that it might not work as well as the amine would)

I'd like to do the Triclopyr 4, water, Imazapyr mix... but NOBODY seems to ever recommend Triclopyr 4, always 3. So I'm wondering why and if it will work. I may be over thinking this, I hope I am.

I could just do Triclopyr and diesel, but since I have Imazapyr and it will cover more varieties, I'd like to use it if I can.

Imazapyr being water soluble, from what I gather using it diesel won't work, I'd just be wasting it.

I'd could apply them separately in different spots, from different bottles, but that is obviously twice the work and then some.

Since where I'll be doing it is many hours away, and I only get there every couple months, "try it and see" isn't the answer I need. I don't want to waste 6-8 months to a year or more to find it didn't work well.

Posts: 21325 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Why don't you tell us what you are trying to do. Sure some could help once we have an idea what you are trying to accomplish

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19674 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Why don't you tell us what you are trying to do.

I'm trying to hack and squirt with 50% Triclopyr-4, 40% water and 10% Imazapyr. Big Grin

Posts: 21325 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
^^^^
Read and heed

Ok, see your reply to ORC. Nevermind

Posts: 13547 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
He’s trying to defoliate an area, based off the chemicals listed.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4291 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I murdered a bunch of evergreen trees in Washington with Crossbow. Worked well and I wasn’t doing science experiments.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4291 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://forestryforum.com/boar...x.php?topic=110794.0

Keep in mind there's a difference between garlon 3a vs 4. And I always mix up which is water based and which is oil based.

Posts: 548 | Location: Field of Dreams | Registered: September 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
lol I know there is, 4/ester is oil, and the gist of my question.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Seems the experts say no.

https://corpslakes.erdc.dren.m...ul1-NewTriclopyr.pdf

(close thread)