SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    1980: REO Speedwagon releaseed "Keep on Loving You". 1940: Glenn Miller released "In the Mood"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1980: REO Speedwagon releaseed "Keep on Loving You". 1940: Glenn Miller released "In the Mood" Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
Playing REO Speedwagon today is the same as playing Glenn Miller in 1980.

Yes we are that old! Big Grin

(Hard to believe, but it does give some perspective to our perceptions of time)

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
When I went to a UH football game a couple of years ago (where I went to college) a couple of us went to the local hangout bar on campus.
They were playing some electronic techmo pseudo rap shit on loop that was just AWFUL.
A few people "bobbing" their head like they were into it.
In my day there would be someone pinned to the table by their mates while they emptied a keg into your mouth with some young hotties dancing on the table next to you.
I kept wanting to request Lynyrd Skynyrd but it was doubtful anyone would even know their name.
Too bad it was a nice little place sans the music.

Eek

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Playing REO Speedwagon today is the same as playing Glenn Miller in 1980.

Yes we are that old! Big Grin

(Hard to believe, but it does give some perspective to our perceptions of time)

It does make one think.. damn, I'm old! Eek

I'll listen to Glenn Miller waaaaay more than REO puke wagon.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
I was a freshman/sophomore in high school in 1980 and I remember thinking that the 50’s were ancient history and the 40’s were prehistoric!

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
three weeks back , I was wondering why I liked the 40-55 y.o. music so much , I listen to it all the time.

I wondered what my folks were listening too , at 50 years of age.

they to liked the music that they listened to when they were in their teens and late 20's.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54647 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
I started driving at 16 which was in 1978. I had a 1958 ford pickup, which at 20 years really seemed old at the time. Now, my daily driver is a 1997 Ford pickup, which is 23 years old but somehow doesn't seem old. I'm just trying to get my head around it all... Big Grin

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
All I know is nearly every young person I cross prefers the music from the 70's-90's over today's sludge. Regardless, I'm so old I don;t even listen to my own generation's music haha

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29703 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
I was a freshman/sophomore in high school in 1980 and I remember thinking that the 50’s were ancient history and the 40’s were prehistoric!

Good lord! I graduated from High School 4 years before Woodstock! The '50s were my growing up years. Glenn Miller or say the Ink Spots or Mills Brothers were not considered old by me. Just pre-rock 'n roll. Smile Wagner's Ride of the Valkyries was what I considered ancient back then. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16223 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARMT Guy:

I dedicate this song to those with bad taste:

Posts: 22910 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
~1976-1992 call it the 80’s, the epitome of great real music!!

HK Ag

Posts: 3502 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
Originally posted by ARMT Guy:

I dedicate this song to those with bad taste:
[FLASH_VIDEO]<iframe frameborder="0"

DAmn I think I was there!!! ROCK on REO
height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GVFgEBq0EKM" width="560"></iframe>[/FLASH_VIDEO]

Posts: 632 | Location: Cajun Country, Sportsman Paradise  | Registered: March 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
So I wonder who will release a song this year that they will still be playing in 2060.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post