SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Crash at today's Reno Air Races- fatalities
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Crash at today's Reno Air Races- fatalities Login/Join 
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted
Looks like there was a mid-air collision, and both pilots are confirmed dead. No ground fatalities. Happened towards the end of the event, the last time ever for the races.

Not a good day for airplanes.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16399 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Damn! Didn't the Hogue crash also happen somewhere there last year?

Q

Posts: 26521 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
Damn! Didn't the Hogue crash also happen somewhere there last year?

I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully Juan Browne will have a video out soon on his blancolirio YouTube channel with details.

Edit: Juan put out a video that the races are currently suspended pending a meeting by the presidents.

September 17, 2023 UPDATE Races Cancelled

AT-6 Mid Air collision in the pattern following the AT-6 Gold Race.

Posts: 6631 | Location: Virginia | Registered: January 22, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
The guy that died in the P-63 Kingcobra crash in the Dallas air show was my IOE Captain in 2018. He was at the Reno races some years ago when the plane crashed into the stands. He escaped death THAT time by mere FEET. Still shake my head over that guy...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
The guy that died in the P-63 Kingcobra crash in the Dallas air show was my IOE Captain in 2018. He was at the Reno races some years ago when the plane crashed into the stands. He escaped death THAT time by mere FEET. Still shake my head over that guy...

My wife's friend's husband & his dad had tickets that year, in the seats where it went down. They decided at the last minute not to make the trip from Bakersfield.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15397 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Tragically the collision happened after the race finish, during a cool-down lap, as the aircraft were turning from the downwind leg to base. There's eyewitness reports of one of the plane's vertical stabilizers being sheared completely off. No videos of the actual crash have been officially released as of yet.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16399 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post

The Reno Air Racing Association identified the pilots as Nick Macy and Chris Rushing. Macy piloted Six-Cat and Rushing flew Baron’s Revenge. Both were Gold winners in the T-6 Class. News 4

This message has been edited. Last edited by: kkina,

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

posted Hide Post
Better this way than in a minivan on a grocery run.

“That’s what.” - She

Posts: 342 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: June 06, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Well that sucks.

I can't say I'm sorry to see the Reno air races end, though. Too many warbirds and pilots have been lost over the decades, IMO. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21853 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:

...I can't say I'm sorry to see the Reno air races end, though...

I don't think the races are ending, but they're looking a new location. Apparently, the formerly rural Reno/Stead area now has housing developments everywhere.

Posts: 15912 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:

...I can't say I'm sorry to see the Reno air races end, though...

I don't think the races are ending, but they're looking a new location. Apparently, the formerly rural Reno/Stead area now has housing developments everywhere.

Yes, correct. From what I hear there's some 6 places bidding for their new location. Nothing definite yet.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/xEB9ztof0mA?si=XsUlRbICmoD0FhtX

Just some early analysis. The accident happened after the races was over, coming in to land.

Posts: 6194 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
This might not be the most popular opinion, but after well over a half century of flying and instructing, I believe that there are a few types of flying that fall into the "hold my beer" category, presenting unnecessary risk with no appreciable benefit.

This type of air race is one of the activities that I personally classify that way.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30746 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^

I certainly see your point. The same could be said of automobile racing. But I guess man was designed with the inner urge to conquer machine. So we'll have "Man vs Machine" until the end of time...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Juan with more details about the crash. Video shows the race, but not the actual collision. He does, however, model the crash for us. Bad, definitely not survivable.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
This might not be the most popular opinion, but after well over a half century of flying and instructing, I believe that there are a few types of flying that fall into the "hold my beer" category, presenting unnecessary risk with no appreciable benefit.

This type of air race is one of the activities that I personally classify that way.
I can’t say you’re wrong, but I’m not sure where one draws the line. Is aerobatic competition okay? How ‘bout airshows? Heck, cropdusting, while it does have an appreciable benefit, is extremely dangerous.

I guess I’m with Thomas Jefferson on the notion of dangerous freedom. While I may not choose to do air racing, I’m happy that it is my choice, not the FAA’s and that others are free to choose differently.

Posts: 6926 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

My understanding is this crash was on approach, which makes one wonder, does this incident have the same issues as the B-17/P-63 mid-air collision in Dallas 2022 where altitude deconfliction and clear understanding of flight paths was not explicit?

Posts: 14699 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
6 cities bid to be new home of National Championship Air Races

Aviation News
Posted By: Haley Davoren, GlobalAir.com
Published: Oct. 20, 2023 at 09:28 AM EST
Updated: Oct. 22, 2023 at 01:15 PM EST

"Six cities across the U.S. have submitted over 1,500 pages of documents to be chosen as the new home of the National Championship Air Races. In March the Reno Air Racing Association announced that the 2023 event would be the final race held at the Reno-Stead Airport (RTS). After nearly 60 years, the airport decided to sever its ties with the historic racing event, citing the rapid development in the region, economic conditions, public safety and the impact on the public and airport. In June RARA officially began taking bids for a new host for the races and on Thursday it announced six bidders were vying for the role...

The six bidding cities include Casper, Wyoming; Buckeye, Arizona; Pueblo, Colorado; Roswell, New Mexico; Thermal, California; and Wendover, Utah..."

Complete article:

https://www.globalair.com/arti...ampionship-air-races

Posts: 15912 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
Bring it to Pueblo, the wife and I will watch it every year.

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4937 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Bring it to Buckeye. Large population pools to draw from over several states.

Posts: 53242 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post