SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Checked Luggage: What Works, What Does Not? (Update: Got it!)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Checked Luggage: What Works, What Does Not? (Update: Got it!) Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
Going to be going on an overseas trip soon. Don't feel like hauling around the old Samsonite hard-side thing I've had forever. Thinking something with wheels and telescoping handle?

I've a backpack like this

for carry-on.

So what works and what does not? Want something that can take a beating w/o breaking, breaking open, what-have-you. I expect this'll be the last luggage of this kind I'll ever buy, so I don't mind spending a bit more to get a bit more.

The soft-side stuff seems like it would be more resistant to abuse, but what about security? How to you keep thieves out of the soft-side stuff?

If it matters: I will want to stash a couple fifths of bourbon in there, as a gift to a nephew.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ensigmatic,

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
A few thoughts as a I travel a lot, and I happen to work for a company with a division that does Airport Baggage handling systems at many major airports. I know what the bag smashers look like, how they work, and how a slip in position or timing results in damage.

You need to make sure that the bag you choose meets airline specifications for under seat or overhead storage. If not, it's going as checked baggage.

When I travel I carry a roller board bag of a size that matches duration of travel (and whether I need safety boots or not), and a backpack. My backpack holds a lot. Laptop, chargers, tablet, headset, notebook, and can push 20+lbs at times. I've found that even worn properly (both straps instead of shoulder slung) it gets heavy pretty fast. It's a lot easier to stand it on the roller board and walk with it standing up or tow it. I'm getting older now and the first night in a hotel is easier if my back isn't upset with me.

If it does get checked, soft side bags tend to suffer less damage to the bag, but forget anything inside that isn't soft. The pushers that transfer between lines have to hit hard enough to handle bags weighing 75+lbs, so they hit hard. I'm sure your clothing will soak up that bourbon nicely if it gets caught in the vertical sorter. Lots of straps give baggage handlers good purchase to get a long distance toss. Assume they'll try a bank shot off the side of the container, trailer, or cargo compartment to get the bag in there.

A thief can enter any bag with a zipper using a pen, and zip it back up without you even knowing they were in it. So not a lot of security in any bag really, hard or soft side.

If you want to test your bag, pack it. Then do the following:
- Throw it about 6-8 feet in the air a few times landing on concrete
- Hit it 5-10 times with a cricket bat or 2x4, swing for the fences.
- Jump on it a few times
- Give it a good bowling throw for distance down your driveway (asphalt or concrete)

If it survives, good to go..... Big Grin

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37957 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
Briggs & Riley. Expensive, but as far as I know the only company that guarantees their luggage against damage for life.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
Briggs & Riley. Expensive, but as far as I know the only company that guarantees their luggage against damage for life.

Waaaaay too spendy! Next best appears to be Eagle Creek, who has a similar warranty and likewise appears to get good reviews.

Rightwire: I used to travel a lot, with just a plain old Samsonite hard-sided suitcase. I eventually bought a safety strap for it, after one of the two locks popped-open, one time, but it otherwise handled everything that was thrown at it.

It sounds to me like things in baggage handling have become much more abusive since then? Say in the last ±20 years?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
The soft side roller bags we bought at Costco years ago have stood up pretty well, despite repeated trips overseas, etc.

There are a couple of sizes. Carry on, and larger to check.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
Red Oxx...made in the USA

Just bought a carryon for my wife...top-notch construction. The Mini Boss.

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
For checked luggage, Briggs and Riley, along with Tumi are too spendy for something that will take abuse.

I've settled on TravelPro myself. I've settled on the Crew collection myself as they seem to be the most robust of their offerings.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19663 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I use a pack very similar to yours. To handle the security issue, I replaced the cord zipper pulls with steel cable, then lock them together with TSA-approved padlocks. Non-destructive entry is impossible. Pulling the zipper tracks apart still is, unfortunately.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16351 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I've settled on TravelPro myself. I've settled on the Crew collection myself as they seem to be the most robust of their offerings.

The Crew's seem to be spinners only. Do not want. The TravlePro TPro Bold 2.0 gets very good reviews everywhere I've looked. May go with a 25" version of that.

Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Heys USA (Athena) clamshell design.
It's been to over 27 countries and literally around the world took many a beatings and still ready to go. No Soft-side luggage could have done that.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8354 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:
It's been to over 27 countries and literally around the world took many a beatings and still ready to go. No Soft-side luggage could have done that.

Thanks for the recommendation. Polycarbonate shells do sound like a good idea, but I think I really don't want a spinner, and theirs are all spinners. Those wheels, the way they have them sticking out like that, look to be just begging to be abused.

Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:

Thanks for the recommendation. Polycarbonate shells do sound like a good idea, but I think I really don't want a spinner, and theirs are all spinners. Those wheels, the way they have them sticking out like that, look to be just begging to be abused.

My Athenas ar not spinners, they may not make them anymore...Try this lady: Email: 2001@cableone.net Angela C Mendenhall
That's where I got mine from she may have some of that inventory...

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8354 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Waaaaay too spendy! Next best appears to be Eagle Creek, who has a similar warranty and likewise appears to get good reviews.

Rightwire: I used to travel a lot, with just a plain old Samsonite hard-sided suitcase. I eventually bought a safety strap for it, after one of the two locks popped-open, one time, but it otherwise handled everything that was thrown at it.

It sounds to me like things in baggage handling have become much more abusive since then? Say in the last ±20 years?

Spendy for B&R is correct, for a reason. The difference in warranties is that Eagle Creek warranties their product against defects, not wear and tear or damage. If the wheels get ripped off your B&R on the conveyer belt, they will replace it. Free. The airlines will not, without a considerable struggle, and maybe not at all. Depends on how much you travel and how many times your luggage cycles through terminals. One trip could be worth the difference.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Is this a onetime trip or do you plan on doing this a bit more in retirement? How many days worth of clothing do you need?

Edit: Sorry I use this. It's good for about 5-7 days worth of clothes (for me). I didn't get it off of Ebay so I'm not pushing this page. It is not a good idea to pack liquor in it. Maybe ship the liquor?

Posts: 7551 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I travel by plane weekly. Travelpro holds up a long time. I used to go through a samsonite every six months, but travelpro lasts.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Non-destructive entry is impossible.

Easily done with a ball point pen. Secure the lock to a third point to immobilize it. At least then it's obvious if it has been tampered with.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wpIJVWXsBBI

Posts: 9963 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bcereuss:
Red Oxx...made in the USA"

This.

Best bags going. I just sent them a used one (about 8 years old) that was getting a little beat up. They replaced a zipper, stitched what was loose, and put new monkey fist zipper pulls on every zipper. Total cost? $0.00

Great gear, made in Montana, with a real, forever warranty.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Non-destructive entry is impossible.

Easily done with a ball point pen. Secure the lock to a third point to immobilize it. At least then it's obvious if it has been tampered with.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wpIJVWXsBBI

Yes, indeed. That's why I added with the disclaimer, "Pulling the zipper tracks apart still is, unfortunately".

My precautions only guard against the casual thief. Keeping honest people honest.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16351 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Well, I believe it's down to one of these two:

Eagle Creek Load Warrior 26 inch

Pros: Very robust design.

Cons: $207, telescoping handle not as stable?

Travel Pro TPro Bold 2.0 25 inch

Pros: $116, more stable telescoping handle?

Cons: Not as robust a design (notably the middle grip--dependant on the integrity of two sets of zippers under load)

Explanations

By not as stable a telescoping handle design I mean this: On uneven surfaces, etc., the Travel Pro handle will give you better leverage, better control over the piece. The single strut on the Eagle Creek would act more like an axel.

Cost: Yeah, $207 really isn't a lot of money for a quality piece of luggage. I get that. But I'm not fond of air travel. In fact I think I'll hate air travel, from all I've heard. Thus this may never be used again. Unless, maybe, we go on long road trips. Or maybe it turns out air travel isn't as bad as I feared it would be.

Of the two, cost aside, I'm leaning toward the Eagle Creek.

So I'm kind of stuck atm.

Bytes, I looked at OGIO. Liked them, but hey jump from 22", which is too small for my needs, to 29", which is too large. I think 25-26" is my sweet spot.

Picture of Flyboyrv6
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Spendy for B&R is correct, for a reason. The difference in warranties is that Eagle Creek warranties their product against defects, not wear and tear or damage. If the wheels get ripped off your B&R on the conveyer belt, they will replace it. Free. The airlines will not, without a considerable struggle, and maybe not at all. Depends on how much you travel and how many times your luggage cycles through terminals. One trip could be worth the difference.

I had a job where for five years I traveled 70% of the time, domestically and internationally, and Briggs and Riley held up well and paid for itself.

Posts: 828 | Registered: January 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post