SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Colorado Political Update: Recall effort underway for GOVERNOR Jared Polis...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colorado Political Update: Recall effort underway for GOVERNOR Jared Polis... Login/Join 
Rock Paper
Scissors
Lizard Spock
Picture of James in Denver
posted
Jared Polis is one of the "big 4" left leaning (far left) democrats who... SOMEHOW ... got elected as Governor of our state.

For more info on Jared and the "gang of 4", watch "The Rocky Mountain Heist"

While it's a long shot, where do I sign???? Smile

Source: Effort to recall Gov. Polis approved by Secretary of State
POSTED 12:15 PM, JULY 8, 2019, BY JOE ST. GEORGE, UPDATED AT 03:45PM, JULY 8, 2019

DENVER — An effort to recall Gov. Jared Polis has officially been approved by the Colorado Secretary of State.

A group called “Dismiss Polis” officially petitioned the state to start collecting signatures. The request was approved Monday.

Polis was sworn in as governor on Jan. 8.

In to order to oust the Democratic governor, organizers will need to collect more than 630,000 signatures within 60 days. If they do, a special election would be held.

Because of the high number and Polis’ approval numbers, the effort is considered a long shot by political observers.

Supporters of the recall say they are doing this in response to new laws signed by the governor.

Conor Cahill, a spokesman for Polis, sent FOX31 the following statement:

“The Governor is focused on governing for all of Colorado and ensuring that every Coloradan – no matter their zip code or political affiliation – has the opportunity to succeed. During his first six months in office, the Governor has created bipartisan solutions to lower the cost of health care, ensure every kid can go to free full-day kindergarten this fall, and cut taxes for small businesses. The Governor will continue to reach across the aisle and hopes that, by tackling key issues for Coloradans, we will continue to bring people together and focus on what unites us.”

----------------------------
"Voldemorte himself created his worst enemy, just as tyrants everywhere do! Have you any idea how much tyrants fear the people they oppress? All of them realize that, one day, amongst their many victims, there is sure to be one who rises against them and strikes back!"
Book 6 - Ch 23

Posts: 4484 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Supporters of the recall say they are doing this in response to new laws signed by the governor.

Which new laws?

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
I'd sign that if I got a chance just because I don't like the prick.

Posts: 1958 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From those in the trenches there, what's the likelihood of success for this recall effort - barring the usual illegal and underhanded hijinks of the Democrats?

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
James in Denver I hope you don't mind but I had planned on starting a thread on the Colorado recall efforts and as you had already posted this thread it seemed to be a good platform to provide various info and links.

I haven't been able to participate in these recall efforts to the extent that I did during the 2013 recall efforts and so I'm a bit late in providing this info, but I wanted to let the various recall groups get organized and get their various websites up and running and get some petition signing sites established before providing the info.

To my knowledge there are five elected representative recall efforts, and then the National Popular Vote (NPV) repeal effort as well. The recall effort against Rep. Tom Sullivan, who sponsored the ERPO Red Flag Bill was terminated.

I understand and respect the position of those Republicans who are opposed to these recall efforts, but I believe the Democrat controlled legislature and Governor Polis acted against the will of the people as evidenced by the 2018 election initiative results, and also in the way they rammed their agenda through the legislative session, in some cases using methods to circumvent legislative rules and these recalls are an effective tool. Note that the Democrats were stung by the 2013 recall efforts to such an extent that they created counter recall groups whose sole purpose is to raise political donations to resist the 2019 recall efforts and to organize their counter-recall efforts.

NPV effort- The Democrat controlled legislature and Governor Polis passed this law earlier this year. When I signed the repeal petition back in March I arrived about 10 minutes before the signing event was scheduled to end. There was a slew of volunteers waving vehicles into the parking log, several more with various clipboards or tables and several lines queued up, and people flooding into the parking lot the entire time I waited in line for my turn to sign. I would estimate that there were 60 + people in the various lines at any given time and while everyone patiently waited the 10-15 minutes it took to move through the line to sign, everyone there seemed steadfast in resisting this measure. There were several reports of NPV signing events in which they literally ran out of petitions due to the volume of voters wanting to sign.

The NPV repeal effort submitted over a 100K more signatures than was required to place the measure on the 2020 ballot.

Backers of effort to repeal Colorado's National Popular Vote law submit more than 227K signatures

Governor Polis Recall Effort- I should mention up front that there are two separate groups targeting Governor Polis for recall. I don't know all the specifics, but I know that there is some "clash" and controversy between the two groups and it is counter-productive for the two groups to be collecting petition signatures as there is a risk that some who sign both petitions may cause the signatures to be discounted, and therefore I'm going to only mention one group.

Recall Governor Jared Polis

The day I signed this petition I had just checked my mail and had received a piece of political mail that was encouraging voters not to sign the various recall petitions. On it they quoted a few Colorado Republicans who either are either "moderate" in their beliefs or they twisted the words of other Republicans to make it appear they oppose the recall efforts. At first glance I mistakenly thought it was from the Colorado Republican Party but later, when I had some some suspicions about it I rechecked the tiny print and found that it was from the Democracy First Alliance, one of the Democrat counter-recall groups.

Walking toward the table I noticed a few young people sitting on a nearby bench and I mistakenly assumed that they were part of the same recall effort, but as I approached the table asking a question and reaching for the pen to sign, an attractive young girl got up from the bench and came up on my blind side. A quiet argument broke out between her the woman who slid the petition to me as the woman objected to her attempt to reach me but the young girl quickly pointed out that she was allowed to "engage" me. At that point she started in trying to tell me that the group sponsoring the petition lied and the effort was a fraud. I'm not sure how they supposedly lied because the only question they answered for me was the name of their group which they willingly gave and the actual website address. A man standing nearby who was part of the recall effort then pointed out that those involved with the Polis recall effort were not being paid. I had started to fill out the petition but put the pen down and faced the girl and asked the girl what group she was with. She ignored the question and continued on with her insistence that the recall group had lied and the effort was a fraud. I had to repeatedly ask her what group she was with before she finally admitted that she was with the Democracy First Alliance and when I pushed her further by pointing out how candid the recall group had been she finally admitted that she was being paid, but insisted that she was working and deserved to be paid for her time and effort, at which point I finished signing the petition...

...so, should anyone decide to sign any of the recall efforts, but especially the effort to recall Governor Polis, don't be surprised if you are confronted by the counter-recall protesters. Apparently not only are some of these protesters being paid, but some of them are being flown in from out of state.

I recently caught an interview with a woman involved in the Polis recall effort and she relayed the fact that the anger against the Governor crosses party lines, gender, and age, and she said that @ %40 of those signing the petition were Democrats and Millennial aged voters. The recall petition requires over 633K signatures in order for a special election to be called and so the group is pushing to gather the needed signatures before the September deadline in order to properly vet the signatures they receive prior to submitting them to the Secretary of State's office for approval.

Recall Sen. Brittany Pettersen effort- The group spear heading the Polis recall effort is also working to recall both Senators Pettersen and Lee as well.

SD22 – Recall Brittany Pettersen

SD11 – Recall Pete Lee effort-

SD11 – Recall Pete Lee

Sen. Leroy Garcia recall effort-Note he is the Colorado Senate President.

Recall Garcia

Douglas County Sheriff Tony Spurlock recall effort-

Recall Sheriff Tony Spurlock

Those who may not know what voting districts they reside in to determine which, if any, petitions they are allowed to sign, simply go to the Secretary of State website and enter a couple pieces of information and you should be able to see where you are registered.

Go Vote Colorado

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Modern Day Savage,

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
Sadly,this effort to recall Governor Polis failed...but, there are some rumblings of another push to recall him.

While this is no doubt a failure and a loss I have to say that I take some satisfaction in just how many Colorado citizens actually signed the petition. While not enough, the number of signatures obtained is still substantial and sends a message.

The other recall efforts are ongoing at this time, with the deadlines to get the needed signatures fast approaching.

[note that there are pictures and hyperlinks at the actual article linked to. Just seeing the sheer number of petitions stacked up in the plastic storage bins makes me smile].

Jared Polis recall backers say they don’t have enough signatures to force election to oust Colorado’s governor

Jared Polis recall backers say they don’t have enough signatures to force election to oust Colorado’s governor

Friday was the end of a 60-day window in which supporters of the recall needed to collect 631,266 valid signatures

SEP 6, 2019 10:02AM MDT

Jesse Paul
@jesseapaul
The Colorado Sun — jesse@coloradosun.com

Backers of the effort to recall Colorado Gov. Jared Polis announced on Friday morning that they did not collect enough signatures to force a special election on whether to boot the Democrat before his first year in office ends.

Friday was the end of a 60-day period during which supporters of the recall needed to collect 631,266 valid signatures — or more than 10,521 a day — to make the special election happen. No campaign has ever collected that many signatures in Colorado.

Karen Kataline, a spokeswoman for the recall effort, said the group collected more than 300,000 signatures, but that number was not independently verifiable.

Dismiss Polis organizers said from the start that completing the task was improbable, but confirmed that they fell short in a news conference at the Colorado Capitol. Kataline, standing in front of plastic boxes filled with signature petitions stacked on the West steps of the statehouse, said that the effort was still historic.

“This huge outpouring of citizen activism is a milestone in Colorado’s proud history of self-government,” Kataline said. “It’s a sad milestone in that the reckless overreach of Gov. Polis and the Democrats in the Colorado legislature has made it necessary. It’s an encouraging milestone in that we the people have spoken with a roar.”

Polis, in a written statement responding to Friday’s news, called the recall effort a “sideshow” and touted his accomplishments in his first nine months in office.

“After all that fuss, I was pleasantly surprised that they didn’t turn in a single signature on the recall,” the statement said. “I hope the remaining misguided efforts against others see the same results as Tom Sullivan’s did before. Recalls should not be used for partisan gamesmanship. “

Sullivan, a state Democratic state representative from Centennial, was the target of a recall effort that was abandoned in June.

On Friday afternoon, Polis reelection campaign also sent out an email fundraising off of the failed recall attempt, urging supporters to chip in “to make sure we have the resources to fight back immediately against another recall attempt.”

Organizers of the Polis recall said they will not turn in the signatures that they did collect. If they did, the people who signed would have been prohibited from signing any other petition to recall Polis during his term in office. The maneuver also prevents the public from knowing who signed the petition.

The campaign to remove the governor was hit with a campaign-finance complaint over it’s “Polis Penny” strategy, which was deployed to keep donor names, addresses, occupations and employers out of the public eye. Donations of $20 or more are subject to campaign finance disclosures. By giving a “Polis Penny,” back to $20 donors, the recall campaign shielded them.

The Colorado Secretary of State’s Office is reviewing the complaint.

Kataline said that the recall proponents will keep the signatures they collected and not shred them, but said that their efforts were not a veiled campaign for “data mining.”

“Everybody today who heard the numbers for the very first time is heartbroken that they couldn’t get them all done,” she said. “But this is extraordinary. I consider it an accomplishment.”

There are also active recall campaigns against three Democratic state senators, including Pete Lee of Colorado Springs, Brittany Pettersen of Lakewood and Leroy Garcia of Pueblo.

Garcia is the Senate president.

The organizers of the recall effort targeting Lee have until Tuesday to collect 11,304 valid signatures to force a special election on whether to remove him from office. The Pettersen recall effort needs 18,376 signatures by Sept. 16 and the Garcia recall needs 13,506 signatures by Oct. 18.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Well that just plane sucks. We gotta get rid of pole smoker somehow.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jared Polis is one of the "big 4" left leaning (far left) democrats who... SOMEHOW ... got elected as Governor of our state.

"Somehow"? CO has turned left for a little while, now, hasn't it?

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

"Somehow"? CO has turned left for a little while, now, hasn't it?

Mostly you're right. Depending on which political pundit you listen to, Colorado is either "Purple" or "Blue". Democrats like to revel in calling it Blue, the Republican Party insist that it is Purple and that it is still possible for Republicans to win here. Time will tell.

But, like many Democrat controlled states, the population centers (cities) determine the leanings, even though the rest of the state thinks differently.

In Colorado, Denver, Boulder, to some extent cities like Fort Collins, as well as most of the tourist resort towns (Aspen, Breckenridge, etc..) vote Democrat, but if you look at the vote distribution the vast number of Colorado counties vote either Republican or unaffiliated.

In Colorado, until the "Gang of 4" or the "4 Horseman of the Apocalypse" implemented their political strategy, the vote was pretty evenly distributed between Democrat, Republican, and Unaffiliated voters. After the Gang of 4 implemented what has become known as the "Colorado Model" or the "Colorado Blueprint" the voter distribution now breaks out to a majority of Unaffiliated voters (that largely vote Democrat), Democrats, and then Republicans rounding out the top 3.

The "Colorado Model" political strategy was so successful in so quickly swinging Colorado to a Blue or Purple state, that Democrats exported this same political model to other states, including Texas and Virginia.

This is a link to a thread I started several months ago to the documentary the Rocky Mountain Heist- explaining the Gang of 4 and the Colorado Model political strategy they implemented.

Rocky Mountain Heist- The Colorado Model- and why other states should be concerned

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
I just caught a radio interview with Karen Kataline, the leader and spokesperson for the recall effort and she relayed the fact that they were able to raise just under $100K to fund the recall...while the Democrats had two organizations which raised over one million dollars used to counter the recall effort. And the recall effort used only unpaid volunteers while the Democrats used paid volunteers...

...and, while it is too late to make a difference, apparently the recall group is still receiving additional petitions and so the total number of signatures is expected to increase.

Considering all this I am even more impressed with the number of recall petition signatures they were able to collect.

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zipriderson:
quote:

Which new laws?

I've been meaning to answer your question but got involved in trying to push the recall efforts and forgot.

The Democrat controlled legislature had a field day ramming through their agenda at a machine gun-like pace and it would take too much time to compile a more complete list of all the egregious laws passed this year so this is only a partial list: (copied from one of the recall websites):

SB19-042: National Popular Vote Compact (Giving CO votes to New York/California in Presidential Elections)

– SB19-181: Oil & Gas Ban (killing jobs and wrecking our CO economy)

– HB19-1032: Radical Sex Ed Curriculum (pushed by Planned Parenthood)

– HB19-1177: Red Flag Gun Confiscation (allows for secret court hearings without accused’s knowledge and allows government to forcibly enter your home anytime without warning after an ERPO is issued)

– HB19-1017: Government Tracking of K-5th Graders’ “Emotional Health” (No opt-out for parents and authorizes home visits from government)

– HB19-1120: Parental Rights Violation (Allows government approved psychotherapists to talk to your children starting at age 12 w/o parental knowledge or consent)

– SB19-139: Authorizes Drivers Licenses for Undocumented Immigrants

– Taxpayer Dollars to support Heroin Injection Sites for Drug Abusers

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Modern Day Savage:
quote:
Originally posted by zipriderson:
quote:

Which new laws?

I've been meaning to answer your question but got involved in trying to push the recall efforts and forgot.

The Democrat controlled legislature had a field day ramming through their agenda at a machine gun-like pace and it would take too much time to compile a more complete list of all the egregious laws passed this year so this is only a partial list: (copied from one of the recall websites):

SB19-042: National Popular Vote Compact (Giving CO votes to New York/California in Presidential Elections)

– SB19-181: Oil & Gas Ban (killing jobs and wrecking our CO economy)

– HB19-1032: Radical Sex Ed Curriculum (pushed by Planned Parenthood)

– HB19-1177: Red Flag Gun Confiscation (allows for secret court hearings without accused’s knowledge and allows government to forcibly enter your home anytime without warning after an ERPO is issued)

– HB19-1017: Government Tracking of K-5th Graders’ “Emotional Health” (No opt-out for parents and authorizes home visits from government)

– HB19-1120: Parental Rights Violation (Allows government approved psychotherapists to talk to your children starting at age 12 w/o parental knowledge or consent)

– SB19-139: Authorizes Drivers Licenses for Undocumented Immigrants

– Taxpayer Dollars to support Heroin Injection Sites for Drug Abusers

That is a whole lot of suck right there, and tarring and feathering, then running out of town on a rail (sharp side up) might be more appropriate than recalling. However, if these were legislative bills that the governor signed, the governor is not the only one who totally sucks. Sigh... I wish CO much luck and hope they don’t end up going down the same road as Commiefornia.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slosig:
That is a whole lot of suck right there, and tarring and feathering, then running out of town on a rail (sharp side up) might be more appropriate than recalling. However, if these were legislative bills that the governor signed, the governor is not the only one who totally sucks. Sigh... I wish CO much luck and hope they don’t end up going down the same road as Commiefornia.

Well, I thought we'd start with a recall...but I'm ok with going straight to the tar & feathers method too. Big Grin Actually, as I told one recall supporter, I'm ready for bodies to swing from trees and heads to be placed on pikes.

Yeah, it does suck. After the 2018 mid-term elections and the Democrats seized control of not only the governorship but both houses of the legislature and the AG and the Secretary of State's office, not to mention a Congressional Rep. slot, they continued to preach that they were going to govern in "moderation". I didn't buy it for a minute, but many Colorado citizens mistakenly did.

What's interesting, and infuriating, is that while Colorado citizens voted in Democrat candidate control, they voted against every proposed tax increase bill and they voted against a proposal that would have been so restrictive on the vital Oil & Gas industry here that it would have effectively banned it...and yet, once the Democrat legislative session began they rammed through several restrictive measures effectively ignoring the election results...and in some cases they bypassed legislative rules or used unethical methods to ram their supposedly "moderate" agenda through.