SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    half a beef question on volume and price.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

half a beef question on volume and price. Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
Trying to help a family member determine if this sounds about right.

hanging weight. 744lbs

charging half of the hanging weight 372 lbs at $3.00 a lb.

So that is $1,116 to the rancher for 372lbs of meat ready to cut and wrap at the butcher.

Pay half the kill fee.

Pay the butcher the cut a wrap fee. What is a fair per lb fee for cut and wrap?

Does this seem right?

Thanks.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19702 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IndianaMike
posted Hide Post
http://fishermeats.com/plugins...ntent.18#Beef_Bundle
this seems to be going rate in or Northeast Indiana

Posts: 1622 | Location: NORTHEAST INDIANA | Registered: August 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I just put a 1/2 of an Angus in the freezer last week.

330#. .75/lb cut and wrapped plus 1/2 the kill fee (I forget how much but $25-30).

Just over $1000 total, so roughly $700 hanging.

Your price seems pretty high, but depending on where you are, that may be the going rate.

Posts: 20557 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaMike:

hmmmm

as a former butcher, he is missing some pieces,,

$929.99 BONELESS HALF OF BEEF

4 – TOP ROUND STEAKS – 1/PKG
16 – CUBE STEAKS – 4/PKG
2 – TOP ROUND SWISS – 1/PKG
4 – INDIVIDUAL SWISS STEAKS – 2/PKG
4 – RUMP ROASTS – 1/PKG
6 – TIP STEAKS – 2/PKG
6 – BNLS SIRLOIN STEAKS – 1/PKG
12 – NY STRIP STEAKS – 2/PKG
10 – BEEF FILLETS – 2/PKG
12 – RIBEYES – 2/PKG
6 – CHUCK ROASTS – 1/PKG
6 – ARM ROASTS – 1/PKG
100# - HAMBURGER – 1# PKGS

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10565 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doubtful...
Picture of TomS
posted Hide Post
Slight drift here but, would this work for a single imdividual? I have no idea how long it would take to consume.

How long would it last in the freezer and how big of a freezer is needed considering other items would also need room?

My father always bought this way but, he had six kids to feed and I don't know how often he bought.

Best regards,

Tom

I have no comment at this time.

Posts: 3123 | Location: Coker Creek,TN | Registered: April 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by toms:
Slight drift here but, would this work for a single imdividual? I have no idea how long it would take to consume.

How long would it last in the freezer and how big of a freezer is needed considering other items would also need room?

My father always bought this way but, he had six kids to feed and I don't know how often he bought.

It's approximately 2 half-pound (big) hamburgers a day for a year. You're better off spending a bit more on fresh.
Side of beef is a waste on 1 person, IMO - but it'll taste damn good. Keeping it >1yr in the freezer is gonna make it taste less good.

Posts: 3325 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's REALLY high, unless it's certified organic. Market steers are between $1.10 & $1.30 per pound right now, live weight. Hanging weight is apx 60% of live weight. Then, you lose another 30% from hanging weight into cut and wrapped usable meat. A lot of farmers will only sell that way, but many are happy to let you pay a small premium over market if you'll arrange someone to split your critter with.

We pay $60 kill & age, $0.55/# cut and wrap. By my math, I'm figuring your family will be paying $1350 for 260# in the freezer; about $5.19/#. No, no way, nope. There's no way no how I'd pay what your family is being charged, unless it was American Kobe/Wagyu Smile

Fortunately, for right now my family gets a free steer every fall from my father in law. Grassfed Registered Hereford, and we only pay the butcher's bill. Speaking of which, I need to call my butcher tomorrow with my cut order!

Posts: 1730 | Registered: November 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The last ones I had butchered (1.5 years ago) the hanging weights averaged right at 725. The butcher charged about $380 to kill, cut and wrap. He also hung them in the cooler for 2 weeks.

The rancher probably has between $1200-1500 invested in that 900 pound fed steer. He is making money off your relative, but not stealing them blind.

Note: My guess on the ranchers cost is based on the price I sold my steers for this last spring (aprox $750 for a 500 pound steer) plus the extra time and feed required to get it to 900-1000 lbs. Your rancher's costs may vary by a lot.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1543 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaMike:

hmmmm

as a former butcher, he is missing some pieces,,

$929.99 BONELESS HALF OF BEEF

4 – TOP ROUND STEAKS – 1/PKG
16 – CUBE STEAKS – 4/PKG
2 – TOP ROUND SWISS – 1/PKG
4 – INDIVIDUAL SWISS STEAKS – 2/PKG
4 – RUMP ROASTS – 1/PKG
6 – TIP STEAKS – 2/PKG
6 – BNLS SIRLOIN STEAKS – 1/PKG
12 – NY STRIP STEAKS – 2/PKG
10 – BEEF FILLETS – 2/PKG
12 – RIBEYES – 2/PKG
6 – CHUCK ROASTS – 1/PKG
6 – ARM ROASTS – 1/PKG
100# - HAMBURGER – 1# PKGS

^^^Things I would eat out of that.

Where's the Flat Iron at? This is one of my favorite cuts and until recently it was as cheap as Top Round, now it's at Strip prices. Frown Abosultly perfect for steak salads, chili, and fajitas. Those and Chuckeyes, I used to love getting Chuckeyes, good as Ribeye at half the price. Now they want $8.00 a pound, oh hell no!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21105 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, I did talk with the rancher who I know. They are going to be in it right at $4.00 a lb in the freezer for all the cuts from burger to ribeyes. Will be very high quality product and most importantly it will be of the animal he raised.
Thanks again guys.

posted Hide Post
So, cookout at your place? Big Grin

Posts: 17252 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't want half a cow. There are a ton of cuts there I just would not want to eat. I was at Costco a week ago and they had whole boneless PRIME NY strip for $9.99lb and they were 12-14lbs.....easy to cut into steaks and great quality. But everyone's different.

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Yep, it works very well here. We did it for years growing up. Never an issue. Always quality beef available. so yes, different strokes.

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

^^^Things I would eat out of that.

Where's the Flat Iron at? This is one of my favorite cuts and until recently it was as cheap as Top Round, now it's at Strip prices. Frown Abosultly perfect for steak salads, chili, and fajitas. Those and Chuckeyes, I used to love getting Chuckeyes, good as Ribeye at half the price. Now they want $8.00 a pound, oh hell no!

hard to know exact weight of each primal, since I am used to Grocery store boxes,

the yields , using a typical primal we would cut, should be better for each piece mentioned,

no eye round,
swiss is usually bottom round, and may be used as cube

no stew?
no eye round,

and there is so much more to a chuck,
Chuck tender,
chuck chicken (now called a flat iron)
chuck eyes as mentioned,

and no
flank,
skirt,

https://chandlersfirearms.com/chesterfield-armament/

Posts: 10565 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Thanks guys, I did talk with the rancher who I know. They are going to be in it right at $4.00 a lb in the freezer for all the cuts from burger to ribeyes. Will be very high quality product and most importantly it will be of the animal he raised.
Thanks again guys.

That's still a good price when you consider that even just crappy burger is retailing around $5/lb nowadays.

Posts: 20557 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post