SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ok garden guru's.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ok garden guru's. Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
What do we like for a bigger tomato as a sandwich slicer?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19190 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beefsteak. My old man would pick them off the vine, salt them and eat them.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16096 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
Love me some Cherokee Purples, they get almost as big as a beefsteak, but the flavor is a whole different experience.

Posts: 3572 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Consider looking for "heirloom" seeds or plants. I just ran an internet search and there are lots of options.

The local farmers always has a couple of growers/sellers who have amazing tasting large tomatoes.

Also the Heirloom tomatoes, those not GMO or hybrids, will come back true to original if you just save the seeds from inside your tomatoes. You can grow the same thing year after year.

Posts: 11847 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Oregon
posted Hide Post
Oregon Star or Black Krim.

"Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?"
-Dr. Thaddeus Venture

Posts: 6086 | Location: PDX | Registered: May 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I haven't had much luck with so-called heirloom varieties. They grow and produce OK, but seem to be much more subject to insect and disease attacks. So much so that much of the fruit is unpaletable (decayed mushy spots, rust, etc.) Generally, I have found them inferior to common hybrids like Big Boy, Better Boy (which is way less "better" than Big Boy), etc. Also, I'm not hung up on one slice to a sandwich, I have been known to sandwich multiple slices of smaller fruits, call me an infidel if you will, but hey, the smaller fruits usually have more and better flavor, fewer seeds, and less juice.

Posts: 6477 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Trying a Territorial seeds heirloom Genuwine this year. I've had good luck with Territorial seeds. They're a little spendier than your OTC stuff, but they're quality.

Posts: 20108 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I like Rutgers for a slicer. Nice flavor, they do well in the heat and humidity, grow quite a few per plant, and they have a consistent size from first to last.

Very large tomatoes have a hard time in the South, and we have to be pretty picky on variety. Very few varieties set fruit above 80F so that attribute is a higher priority than size. I'm also looking for a consistent size, and don't want my first one to be 16 oz and my last one 3 oz.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post