SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Concentrated Vinegar for Weed Killer?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Concentrated Vinegar for Weed Killer? Login/Join 
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted
Normal kitchen vinegar is about 5% acetic acid.

There are some brands of vinegar that are 20% (or higher) acetic acid.

Has anybody used these as a lower cost alternative to Round-Up (or Round-up generic equivalent)?

My application (pun?) would be weeds sprouting up through cracks in the concrete driveway.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30702 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It will burn the foliage, quickly, but i don't think it will necessarily kill the roots.

Posts: 869 | Location: Alabama | Registered: January 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I add one lb of table salt to 1 gal vinegar. Mix a day ahead to allow the salt to totally dissolve. You’ll have to pour off some of the vinegar to allow for the salt.

Have you tried pouring a pot of boiling water on the weeds? That scalding water will kill down to the roots.

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Back in the olden days, the 90's to be specific, landscape professionals used a product called Paraquat to dessicate the foliage of weeds growing on roads, patios, paths, and other "hardscapes." It worked quite well, unfortunately, it had some negative affects on human health. But that is not the relevant aspect here. Because it only killed the foliage, it made little difference in long term control of weeds. Roundup (AKA glyphosate) killed weeds from the roots up, and its success in the marketplace is a testament to its effectiveness. So, high strength vinegar appears to be a chemical substitute for a weed whacker, not an effective long-term weed control.

Posts: 6490 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Go in with a bunch of your neighbors. Generic glyphosate in 2 gallon bottles is $45. You use 2.5 oz. per gallon of water in a sprayer to kill pretty much anything deader than hell.

I buy about 4 gallons of concentrate per year for the farm here. If we get together soon, hell, I'll bring you enough for a year. It's a fair trade for enzymatic cat piss cleaner!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12784 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
If it’s just cracks in a concrete driveway, why not use a weed burner?

You hook up to a BBQ propane tank and flame away:

Posts: 33832 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I made the vinegar, soap & salt solution once for my crazy weeds in the back yard. I sprayed it on and was shocked how fast it started to work. In less than an hour they were changing colors and looked like they were dying. By the end of the day they looked like they would be all done for. I was amazed how fast it worked.

And about a week later they were all just as healthy as they were before I sprayed them. You couldn't tell I'd done anything. Oh well, nice try.

Posts: 21106 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:

If we get together soon, hell, I'll bring you enough for a year. It's a fair trade for enzymatic cat piss cleaner!
You have a deal!

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30702 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
20% vinegar and a little orange oil. Kills some but not all. Better during real hot sunny days

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Just buy real weed killer at an Ag store. It’s cheaper than vinegar in farmer sized quantities.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8220 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Normal kitchen vinegar is about 5% acetic acid.

There are some brands of vinegar that are 20% (or higher) acetic acid.

Has anybody used these as a lower cost alternative to Round-Up (or Round-up generic equivalent)?

My application (pun?) would be weeds sprouting up through cracks in the concrete driveway.

Add some olive oil, and make salad.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
My brick walkway gets 50# of rock salt in March. It dissolves into the cracks and kills everything.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My recipe is one gallon of vinegar brought to a low boil, add one pound table salt to dissolve completely, then allow to cool to room temperature. Apply with a weed sprayer, wetting the foliage thoroughly. This is usually quite effective for the entire growing season. Application should be done when a full day of sunshine is expected, no rain to wash away the application.

Due to strong odors I do the boiling outdoors on a propane camp stove rather than in the kitchen.

Retired holster maker.
Retired police chief.
Formerly Sergeant, US Army Airborne Infantry, Pathfinders

Posts: 1097 | Location: Colorado | Registered: March 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Been using the kitchen vinegar, salt and a drop of Dawn dish soap (helps to stick on the leaves). Spray on a sunny warm day and does work fast.

Love it when I am spraying the weeds out front by the sidewalk when the "green" people walk by and start busting my balls for polluting the earth. The look on their faces is priceless when I say nothing and spray a little in my mouth ... and go yummmm.

We also use baking soda on both the grass and roof to kill the moss.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ortho.

Kills weeds and damn near anything that wants to grow later in that spot being sprayed.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^ The Propane powered weed burner is a heckuva lot more fun than spraying chemicals.

I have an acquaintance who is a commercial vegetable and fruit grower who uses this method exclusively.

For you gardeners, the Propane Weed Burner is also extremely effective on undesirable bugs in the garden, especially squash bugs who have ruined so many gardeners desires of home grown squash and zucchini.

Posts: 11856 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
My wife has used vinegar. It works for a while, but unless you dig the roots out, the weeds will be back.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post