SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Would U taze this 87 yr old woman ? LEOs ?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Would U taze this 87 yr old woman ? LEOs ? Login/Join 
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
Maybe you should learn the English language if you are going to live here.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by njauto:
I couldn't agree more. As a matter of fact, I think having a grasp of the English language should be a requirement for entry into this country.

However, that's not the case and you know that many people who immigrate to the US never learn English. This is the reality.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107604 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
The person who called the cops in the first place should get a tasing as well.

Zero common sense by that person.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GregY:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
I was not there, but I have to believe there was a better way to handle an 87 YO woman.
So, just out of curiosity, what is it?
Well, video of the incident would be most helpful, but just how much physical strength does your average 87 year old woman have?

If she's ambling up towards three officers, what's to stop one office from flanking her, coming up behind her and grabbing her wrist? Or are we assuming that these three officer have equal or less strength than this old woman?

It seems to me that the idea that you never approach someone holding a knife is the issue. What if it were a six year old child holding the knife? Would the police tased a six year old? Or would they have walked up and taken charge of the tyke? How about a woman in a motorized wheelchair? She's got a knife and she's rolling up at maximum speed. Unless she has arms six feet long and has eyes in the back of her head, she could be flanked and have her arms pinned by one officer while another officer removes the knife from her hand.

How do we apply "never approach a knife" to these scenarios? My point is that unless the police are mindless and incapable of thinking on the fly, there are limits to this policy.

One officer alone? Yeah, he might have to tase her. Two officers? I'm not so certain. Three officers? Three men in the full of life, trained and physically strong? Against a very old woman? Really? Yeah, I don't think so.

This seems to have a lot in common with open carry hysteria.

If I'm in the woods near my house foraging mushrooms or something (which I have done) and I'm using a little knife.... And someone sees me and calls the cops...

What is the expectation there? Not threatening anyone, not even *near* anyone (til the cops come up to take charge of the situation), but I (dear sweet Jesus save us) HAVE A KNIFE. Do I need to be made to drop the knife or be made to comply? Why, exactly?

Because when you are told to comply you must. Period, end of story. There is no 'why.'

These days, people call the police because there is a black person nearby. Of course they are going to be called if you have a knife.

Posts: 4079 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cyberiad:
Because when you are told to comply you must. Period, end of story. There is no 'why.'

Have we really sunk that far?

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9160 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I couldn't agree more. As a matter of fact, I think having a grasp of the English language should be a requirement for entry into this country.

However, that's not the case and you know that many people who immigrate to the US never learn English. This is the reality.
Case in point my buddy's mother. My buddy's Dad earned his US citizenship by serving in the US Army, and his Mom became a US citizen after moving to Houston after their marriage. My buddy was born in Houston and is 52 years old, but his mother cannot speak English despite being here for 52+ years.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

The ones who refuse to learn the language want the benefits of living in this country without the responsibility that comes with being a citizen.

Posts: 7020 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post