SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Update on my real estate situation - Insulation is a Wonderful Thing!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Update on my real estate situation - Insulation is a Wonderful Thing! Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
In this thread, we decided to take the house off the market, do some improvements and stick with what we have.

As noted in the aforementioned thread, we (I...) decided the most cost effective way for me to have a heated workspace was to remodel this existing 20x24 building, originally built as a tool shed:

I cleaned it out, threw a bunch of cultch away and found new homes for what I wanted to keep and then insulated it:

1 inch R5 blue board in the rafter bays to control condensation from the tin roof and direct it to the eave vents.

Then I hung a ceiling at wall height with R19 batts in the ceiling.

The walls are 2x4 on 24 inch centers. The stud bays were insulated with R15 rock wool. I'd have gone with regular fiberglass batts, but 2x4 on 24 isn't used much any more and Owens-Corning shut that line down so none was available.

Then everything got covered with 1/2 inch drywall and I did a quick and dirty mud-and-tape job and slapped two coats of Kilz primer on it for better lighting.

Since these pictures were taken, the sliding barn doors were replaced with a double entry door. I blocked off the one window as it was cheaper to eliminate it than to put in an energy efficient unit and I'm going to put in a raft of LED shop lights anyway.

It's 92° in the shade right now. My essentially uninsulated garage is 86°. The new shop which has been closed up all day is 70°. I'm liking this thing already!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: PHPaul,

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15250 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Very nice!!! I want one.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12734 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow! That is a very nice transition.

Posts: 872 | Location: Louisiana and Florida | Registered: February 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Hey with that new man-cave you could probably sell the place easily LOL!

Looks good, a lot of work that you accomplished!

Posts: 23504 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Love it, great work!

We just today had blown insulation added to our attic space which is now 10" taller with white fluffy stuff.

Hoping to make our long hot humid summers easier on my new AC systems.

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Just what I was looking for!

Do you deliver?

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9855 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
BTW, that beam in the center of the third picture will hold the track for my trolley-mounted winch.

The service entrance and a new 100 amp panel is just waiting for the utility folks to inspect it and hook me up to power. I'll have to have a pole set at my expense, but they'll pull the primary wires from the transformer out by the road and hook everything up for "free".

I have minimal power in there now on a jury-rigged buried line from the house. Adequate for a couple of lights and an outlet for the chicken's water deicer, but isn't going to hack it for lathes and welders and such.

The partitions on the left side of the second picture wall off an 8x10 space for the chicken coop. As soon as I have a new space rehabilitated for them, they'll get moved and that room will house the oil tank, air compressor and furnace. The oil tank and furnace are freebies from Dale the Builder.

Posts: 15250 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
he's Got Skillz!

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24144 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dang you set that up nicely.

Posts: 1963 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Did you apply for the Maine energy incentives?

https://www.efficiencymaine.com/at-home/

Posts: 2304 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
Nicely done.

Posts: 10974 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGfourme:
Did you apply for the Maine energy incentives?

https://www.efficiencymaine.com/at-home/

Don't think that applies to sheds.

posted Hide Post
Did the shed already have a cement floor or did you have to pour one?

Posts: 4984 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
Did the shed already have a cement floor or did you have to pour one?

The shed was originally built on a slab. In hindsight, I wish I'd have had it power troweled, but at the time it was only for storage so it's got a broom finish.

Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Nice job Paul!

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
A winch on a trolley is a terrific idea, even if you stole it from me!

We have a loft above part of our garage; I put a length of Unistrut along the peak beam, ran a trolley in it, and bolted a cordless remote operated electric winch to the trolley. I've put a ton of stuff into the loft without having to hump it up a ladder.

Posts: 18081 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post

I put it up in my garage several years ago. I use it mostly for getting heavy stuff up on the work bench and occasionally for lifting the front of the lawn tractor up for maintenance.

Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
Quite the improvement! Looks great.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4029 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Decades ago a contractor told me insulation was the cheapest investment you can make in a building.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Very nice. Leave a little room for a chair, table and small tv Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19199 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post