SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ninth Circuit rules Constitution gives right to carry gun in public in Hawaii case
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ninth Circuit rules Constitution gives right to carry gun in public in Hawaii case Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
https://www.reuters.com/articl...l&utm_source=Twitter

U.S. appeals court: Constitution gives right to carry gun in public

A federal appeals court ruled on Tuesday that the U.S. Constitution’s Second Amendment protects a right to openly carry a gun in public for self-defense, rejecting a claim by Hawaii officials that the right only applies to guns kept at home.

The extent of the right to gun ownership protected by the Second Amendment is one of the most hotly contested debates in the United States, where life has been punctuated by a steady stream of mass shootings.

The ruling issued by a three-judge panel on the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals, based in San Francisco, came a year after the U.S. Supreme Court declined to rule either way on the carrying of guns in public.

Two of the three 9th Circuit judges voted to reverse a decision by the U.S. District Court in Hawaii that state officials did not infringe on the rights of George Young, the plaintiff, in twice denying him a permit to carry a gun outside.

“We do not take lightly the problem of gun violence,” Judge Diarmuid O’Scannlain wrote in Tuesday’s ruling. “But, for better or for worse, the Second Amendment does protect a right to carry a firearm in public for self-defense.”

The decision did not change the court’s earlier ruling that the Second Amendment does not guarantee a right to carry concealed firearms in public.

Judge Richard Clifton dissented from the ruling, saying the Second Amendment does not preclude the sort of licensing rules used in Hawaii and elsewhere.

In 2008, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled for the first time that the Second Amendment protects an individual right to keep guns at home for self-defense in District of Columbia v. Heller.

The Second Amendment was adopted in 1789 and reads: “A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.”

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
If not reversed by SCOTUS (which I would doubt), that decision will have far-reaching consequences, I think.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Not a decision I would have expected from the 9th.

Posts: 17674 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
A federal appeals court ruled on Tuesday that the U.S. Constitution’s Second Amendment protects a right to openly carry a gun in public for self-defense, rejecting a claim by Hawaii officials that the right only applies to guns kept at home.
Where in the hell does this ridiculous "at home" argument come from? Just more federal judges making the law rather than upholding it I guess. But color me shocked the 9th circus even entertained this issue.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
It the legal beagle Onion, right?

If true, well holy moly.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32052 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Opinion at http://cdn.ca9.uscourts.gov/da...8/07/24/12-17808.pdf

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
A three-judge panel. HI will certainly ask for en banc review.

Posts: 18381 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
There is hope for the 9th after all. I am surprised but very happy. I also feel it will be very safe in the Supreme court if it gets there in the next year..

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9089 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by BamaJeepster:
Where in the hell does this ridiculous "at home" argument come from? Just more federal judges making the law rather than upholding it I guess. But color me shocked the 9th circus even entertained this issue.

From the dissent: “the Second Amendment’s core concerns are strongest inside hearth and home,“

Seems this is also found in Heller and in a couple of prior rulings.

Interesting is that the dissent goes on about Hawaii having concealed carry laws. In 2014 the 9th found those laws unconstitutional and “may issue” really was “no issue.” Sadly the court allowed that unconstitutional laws to continue pending appeal. This lead to the same games that Washington DC has tried. Delay, appeal, and more delay.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6065 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
It's like being in the Twilight Zone this past week as they got a 2A case right last week too.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23690 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IMO The 9th is scared shitless the scotus will overturn then especially once Kavanaugh gets seated.

Posts: 4974 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I'm sure this will be appealed. Let's see what happens when it gets to the full circuit. Something like this needs to get to the SCOTUS.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:

What's up with the 9th, did they somehow read the Constitution? Smile

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
A three-judge panel. HI will certainly ask for en banc review.

You're absolutely right. And SCOTUS' unwillingness to hear gun rights cases in recent years is what's enabled the 9th Circuit to reverse every favorable gun rights ruling through en banc. They've even called for en banc review sua sponte (without the parties asking) in recent years.

Posts: 102 | Registered: July 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
It’s like the 9th got off drugs and went through rehab or somethin’

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
I may be wrong but I think if it is appealed it will be up to the SCOTUS to decide whether to hear it or let it stand.
I'll give you 3 to 1 odds that SCOTUS will continue down their current path and refuse to take this up. SCOTUS has demonstrated a complete unwillingness to go any further than Heller at this point in time.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
IMO The 9th is scared shitless the scotus will overturn then especially once Kavanaugh gets seated.

They don't give two shits, if they did they wouldn't be called the Ninth Circus. The Supreme Court only affirms one out of five of their rulings.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik...or_the_Ninth_Circuit

quote:
Rate of overturned decisions Edit
From 1999 to 2008, of the 0.151% of Ninth Circuit Court rulings that were reviewed by the Supreme Court, 20% were affirmed, 19% were vacated, and 61% were reversed; the median reversal rate for all federal appellate courts was 68.29% for the same period.[7] From 2010 to 2015, of the cases it accepted to review, the Supreme Court reversed around 79 percent of the cases from the Ninth Circuit, ranking its reversal rate third among the circuits; the median reversal rate for all federal circuits for the same time period was around 70 percent.[8]

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21145 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
I may be wrong but I think if it is appealed it will be up to the SCOTUS to decide whether to hear it or let it stand.
I'll give you 3 to 1 odds that SCOTUS will continue down their current path and refuse to take this up. SCOTUS has demonstrated a complete unwillingness to go any further than Heller at this point in time.

I know I must be missing something, but why would we want this to go to the Supreme Court when the ruling is already favorable to us? Is it so that the ruling is made even more concrete?

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30952 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I may be wrong but I think if it is appealed it will be up to the SCOTUS to decide whether to hear it or let it stand.There are no other reviews.

Most of the U.S. Courts of Appeals have an en banc re-hearing that the parties can ask for or that the court can decide to hold on its on. When its asked for, the judges in that circuit will vote on whether they think the case is important enough to be re-heard en banc. If selected, they will re-hear the case and the en banc decision will overrule the 3-judge panel's decision. In the 9th Circuit, 11 of the 29 judges go on a panel to re-hear the case if its selected for en banc review. The judges who are selected are supposed to be at random, but since there are more liberal judges in the 9th circuit, there is a likelihood that a majority of the 11 will be liberal.

After the en banc decision is released, or the court makes a statement that en banc reviewed was denied, the parties can file a petition for writ of certiorari with SCOTUS. On these petitions, it is up to SCOTUS to decide whether they want to hear the case. Four of the nine must vote to hear the case or the cert will be denied and the en banc decision will stand.

Posts: 102 | Registered: July 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
You can't hit a home run until the other side pitches the ball. Once the three-judge panel's decision has been reviewed on appeal by the full 9th Circuit, it can be appealed to the US Supreme Court. The more gun cases pass through the full 9th Circuit, the higher the probability of the Supreme Court finding a case it deems fit to rule on. Once Kavanaugh's on the Supreme Court, the odds of a pro-Second Amendment decision go 'way up.

Nothing's guaranteed, obviously, but the more opportunities there are for something good to happen the better.

Posts: 27303 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post